My strawberry guava tree.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That form fitting greenhouse bag is impressive. Controlling the temperature must be challenging with the fluctuations you get. Also, making sure the tree doesn't cook if the sun hits it. Are those wet towels for humidity in the bottom?

I may just get bold enough to do an similar setup with a large tropical bonsai here in Pennsylvania.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That form fitting greenhouse bag is impressive. Controlling the temperature must be challenging with the fluctuations you get. Also, making sure the tree doesn't cook if the sun hits it. Are those wet towels for humidity in the bottom?

I may just get bold enough to do an similar setup with a large tropical bonsai here in Pennsylvania.
That's a big drop cloth that I used to help seal out the bottom from the wind and insulate the pot a little more.
It was a constant battle when the sun came up. I would go out and unzip it and it would let the heat out. Zip it back up later. It works pretty good.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've tried to get the timing better this year to have some shape to the tree when it fruits. Last year when it started fruiting it was in need of a trim. The fruit is on the tips of the branches and if you trim it back you loose most all fruit. This year I trimmed it back pretty hard earlier and now there are 100's of little balls on the branch tips now and the tree still has shape to it. Last year it was a big ball when it started to fruit.
This was taken tonight. Probably cant see the balls but they will flower then fruit. This is the back of the tree. It has a weak side I am trying to grow out and it seems to grow better on one side.
20180518_214339.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I felt this tree was over due for a good cut back. It was just getting to wide and rounding off like a shrub. Cut it back pretty good. Its already starting to bud again. I left the top a little long and will watch how it looks and may cut it lower.
Its getting close to needing a re pot also. I've aerated the soil a number of times to help get the water down easier. Maybe next year re pot.
20180618_084323.jpg
20180616_122340.jpg
20180626_115400.jpg
20180626_115558.jpg
20180626_115413.jpg

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
When did you defoliated? I also have a strawberry guava, is it still ok to defoliated now?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When did you defoliated? I also have a strawberry guava, is it still ok to defoliated now?
I cut it back about a week ago. I don't defoliate the guava. I see no need for it. I trim to shape it and this time was a big cut back.
Not sure when you can work on yours in S California. Mine is super healthy and I felt it was ok to cut it back. I trim it year around.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Here in Brazil this Psidium cattleianum is called "araçá"

A close cousin from the psidium guava sp.

Nice tree

Top Bottom