My older Fiscus Ginseng; -it seems to be going pretty good, but I'd like to change things anyway?

Greywoulf

Seedling
Reaction score
So my Fiscus Ginseng that I've had under a good fluorescent desk lamp for maybe 8 or 9 years seems to still be doing fairly well, but I suspect it's seriously pot bound in the tiny pot it originally came in (as a gift from a friend). I'd like to replant it now (during this hot NJ 2023 summer) in a flatter and wider tray with some moss and small rocks, and place it on my new apt's wide and well lit windowsill. I've read everything I can find about repotting it, about trimming it's roots back aprox 1/4, about maybe having to use a rock to prop it up in the shallower tray, so I think I'm good to go... But I'd like any advice and suggestions re doing it; this plant may possibly be 15 or 20 years old (depending on how long my friend had it previously) and I don't want to do anything that could damage it.
So, any suggestions, advice, and all around general info and support,Fiscus1.jpegFiscus2.jpegFiscus3.jpegFiscus4.jpeg would be very much appreciated!
Thanks... :cool:

Welcome to the forum. Not to be too critical but it doesn't look that healthy. It's really leggy. Could you not put it outside for the summer? I received on as a gift and promptly chopped that big tuber off. But if you like it, keep it. After 8 or 9 years I think a repot is in order as well as trimming back those gangly branches.

Agree that it is not the healthiest ficus ever but still not too bad.
Ficus transplant really easily. You can cut off way more than 1/4 of the roots of ficus - up to 3/4 would be safe if necessary. Warmer months are the best time to do transplant of ficus, even if it is very hot but indoors there's even more scope for repot times so now will be Ok for you.
Try to get a good quality potting mix for the job. Ordinary potting soil is OK for deeper pots but for shallower bonsai style pots larger particles is usually better. If you can get a 'bonsai' potting soil that should be OK if not try a good quality potting soil for large planters as those mixes tend to have larger particles.
It may or may not need propping up after transplant. Rather than relying on a rock to hold it up search out how to tie a bonsai into the pot -much more reliable.

Not sure if you have been feeding your ficus over the past 8 years but maybe increase frequency a bit. Looks like it has not grown much and has not required much pruning which is usually a sign of semi-starvation.

OK, thanks... Will use some Bonsai potting soil mixed with some 'ordinary' stuff for repotting. The bag of "Bonsai Potting Soil" I have now from the local garden shop appears to me to be too 'sandy' and I fear will not by itself support the plant in a tray... And thanks for the suggestion; I definitely will start feeding it some more liquid plant food than I have been doing, but I suspect it's lack of growth might also be because of the very small current potting? Also yes I'll trim some of it's upper excess foliage, but I don't intend to cut too much offa the top. ~Leggy and 'unhealthy' appearing she way well be to some, but she's mine and I think her beautiful and luvs 'er just the way she is... ;>})
I've seen too many examples (both on this site and elsewhere) where folks have cut back their Bonsais so severely there's barely a single sparse twig of a branch supporting but a leaf or two. ~Not for me; -that looks like tree anorexia to me!
~Beauty (and "healthy"??) depend upon the thinking and appreciation of the beholder IMHO.................

But thanks guys for your suggestions, and for the encouraging info about it being a good time to repot now, and for info as to how much to cut back it's roots. ~And no, being six flights up in an apartment now with tightly screened in windows, I cannot safely put it outside for the summer... ;<})
Greywoulf

but I suspect it's lack of growth might also be because of the very small current potting?
Very likely part of the lack of growth. A larger pot, combined with some extra nutrient should see some more growth.

Will use some Bonsai potting soil mixed with some 'ordinary' stuff for repotting. The bag of "Bonsai Potting Soil" I have now from the local garden shop appears to me to be too 'sandy' and I fear will not by itself support the plant in a tray...
Potting soil is more than just support for the tree. The spaces in it are important to allow roots to grow and to breathe s well as get water and nutrients. Soils with smaller particles and less air spaces are easy to overwater and that's when trees suffer from root disease. Most of us find that more open soils are easier to manage but people are able to grow bonsai in a wide range of soil types and if you are used to a certain type of soil then it may be good to keep using that soil type for your trees. Like most things bonsai, there's no one correct answer or way to do it.
Also yes I'll trim some of it's upper excess foliage, but I don't intend to cut too much offa the top. ~Leggy and 'unhealthy' appearing she way well be to some, but she's mine and I think her beautiful and luvs 'er just the way she is... ;>})
As you say, beauty is definitely in the eye. I would not recommend harder pruning until any tree is in good health and bursting to grow. You could even defer pruning this one until you get more growth because leaves are the all important food factory for a tree.
Without trimming the branches will get longer and longer with leaves only near the ends. Even a very slow growing bonsai will eventually get long and leggy. Regular trimming promotes more branching so the tree looks more like a tree however you are free to grow your bonsai in the style you prefer.
Here's one of my smaller ficus bonsai at a local show in 2017. I couldn't find a more recent photo.
Myrtleford show 2017 12.JPG

I've seen too many examples (both on this site and elsewhere) where folks have cut back their Bonsais so severely there's barely a single sparse twig of a branch supporting but a leaf or two. ~Not for me; -that looks like tree anorexia to me!
Hard pruning is not something to be done routinely but it is useful when a bonsai is badly out of proportion. It may look frightening immediately after but a healthy tree will simply produce masses of new buds and grow again after a few weeks.

And no, being six flights up in an apartment now with tightly screened in windows, I cannot safely put it outside for the summer... ;<})
Although outdoors is good for most trees and essential for some ficus is one family that can do well indoors all year round given some basic conditions are met. Yours is obviously doing well enough without getting outside.

When others said it's leggy and unhealthy they were not insulting your tree, they're trying to be helpful. The pictures below are 2.5 years apart. I live in Florida and keep it outside all the time and those conditions cannot be duplicated in an apartment. But maybe consider switching the desk lamp for a desk grow light and/or put it closer to a window for some natural light too. Some people use humidity trays but I personally don't see how they do much good. When you go to repot I would try to find something a little wider and deeper but not anything oversized for it and make sure it has drain holes.
IMG_3397.jpgIMG_9818.jpg

Hey, I very much enjoyed seeing the photos of those fully leafed Fiscus Bonsais. Both of these trees are quite beautiful IMO, and I can see now why mine appears to have a 'starved-out' and somewhat unhealthy look... ~:("'
Hopefully repotting, more natural lighting from a window shelf position, better feeding, and eventually some careful pruning may in time more fully beautify mine also. ~I do want to try and save it and keep it growing tho, as it was passed on to me from an old and cherished friend who felt she was no longer able to take care of it...

Back
Top Bottom