My new azalea cultivar

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
1590256598698.png
Seedling from 'Asahi no Izumi', named As-12-04

Since 2010, I have been growing azalea from seeds. I became interested in the flower variations in satsuki azalea, and why I couldn't buy these azalea in Europe. So I started growing them from seed.
I had these goals in mind when I started crossing and growing from seeds.
1) Bicolour/sporting/variegated flowers
2) Hardy and strong-growing in W Europe
3) Bushy compact growth, backbudding, leaves and flowers not too large, ideal for bonsai

My favourite azaleas are by far satsuki azaleas, so collecting them was a goal in itself. And thanks to bonsai people importing trees from Japan and rooting their waste shoots as cuttings, I was able to collect some. But only this year, I am actually growing seed pods on satsuki azaleas. In the past, I used them as pollen parents, mostly. Here, I will post some of my seedlings that are blooming this year. I hope to make a selection this year of what is worth not throwing away, because next year I will have to make place for new seedlings.

The first picture is my most interesting plant so far. I have rooted cuttings from this one and if people want to test grow it, PM me. I'll do an update on the parent plant later, as it is not fully in bloom yet.

Of course you start with seeds.

1590261166171.png
1590261371771.png

Then my goal was to let the seedlings battle it out among themselves, so only the strong survive. They were kind of neglected a bit and grown in a non-ideal part of the garden (too much afternoon sunlight). They survived the late april frost of 2017 and the pretty cold winter of 2018.

Axe-10-08
1590261899227.png

This is a cross of 'Alexander' and 'Hekisui'.
'Alexander' is a cross of form of R.nahakahare with 'Kinsai', 'Hekisui' is the sport of 'Aozora', which is 'Aikoku' crossed with 'Kozan'.
The goal was to get satuski-type flowers on plants with the dwarf habit and winter hardiness of R.nakaharae.

1590262224289.png

This seedling has the narrow and small leaves typical of R.nakaharae, but isn't as prostrate and creeping as most of its siblings are, or as R.nakaharae. Furthermore, Axe-10-08's leaves are a shade more yellow and less vivid than most siblings from this cross (see the corner of the second picture to see how the better ones look). But it grows really strong and has lots of flowers that are a good red. And I think most importantly, the flower shape is an improvement. It is rounder and has more substance with some elegant petal overlap. Most R.nakaharae hybrids have more separation between the petals. This one definitely has a flower shape very close to 'Hekisui'. Not sure if this warrents some F2 cross with a sibling to see if I can get the recessive genes to express. For now, this plant can keep existing. Not sure if this is a plant just as good as the better solid red Nakaharae cultivar currently out there. If I had to, I think I would pick 'Alexander' over this seedling.

1590261786326.png

Last edited:
'MxK-12-01'
1590427467578.png
This is a cross between the American Glenn Dale azalea 'Mary Helen', and the Japanese satsuki 'Kozan'.

I have several seedlings from this cross, and what I like about this specific plant is that it is a strong grower and it has a golden blotch rather than the greenish blotch of 'Mary Helen' (and many white azaleas).
It does not have the very attractive foliage of 'Kozan', sadly, which is top notch. This individual really got the either R.simsii or R.mucrolatum type large flat leaves.
1590427610424.png
'Mary Helen' does have satsuki blood, as it is (Vittatum x R.mucrolatum) crossed with 'Kagetsu' and around here in the Netherlands, 'Mary Helen' is extremely commonly sold. So I think nurseries here love producing it because it is reliable and hardy. I hoped for this type of flower, with sports/bicolours, and the foliage of 'Kozan'. I did not get that. I got 'Mary Helen'-type foliage. This plant does have one flower that is part purple/part white. So it is not entirely stable either. I think for a good cultivar, it either has to be stable, or show a proper range of sports easily. Not one off-flower. But that might lead to a bud mutation that sports reliably.

I have two other mature plants from this cross. MxK-12-02 is the least interesting. It has the same type of foliage, just smaller leaves, and a small white flower with a green blotch, very similar to a white 'Kozan' or to 'Hakurei'.

The third plant MxK-12-03 has the most-satsuki like foliage, and it has very rounded flowers, with a green blotch. I would have loved it if this had the golden blotch instead. Maybe this third plant is actually the best, but it is just a white flower on a satsuki-type foliage. There are many of those already.

Here is a flower matrix:
1590428011023.png
Top row: 'Mary Helen', 'Kozan' (smaller than normal flower, plant not flowering yet), so both parents
Middle row: MxK-12-01, MxK-12-02, MxK-12-03, crosses I made
Bottom row: 'Hakurei', 'Hakusen' (sport of 'Shisen'), for comparison

I kind of think that MxK-12-02 may go into the trashbin. why grow it when you can grow 'Kozan', or 'Hakurei' or 'Hakatajiro' or some other nice white satsuki? It is just a plain small 'Kozan'-type white flower on a more dwarf version of 'Mary Helen''s plant habit.

I may make a full post late on MxK-12-03, when it is fully flowering.

Ah, the breeders dilemma. Similar in orchids would be breeding white Phalaenopsis. White Phalaenopsis are very highly bred, many are "near perfection", it is hard to distinguish one superior white Phal from another superior white Phal. Which one to keep, which ones to compost.

But you are having success. The flower matrix is fascinating, all are whites, the size and flower shape is the main difference. Your 'MxK-12-03' appears to have 6 lobes in its flower instead of the normal 5 lobes. Is this a consistent trait? Or is this flower a one off sport, as 6 lobe flowers do occasionally happen on many different Satsuki cultivars. Only a few satsuki consistently produce 6 lobes, most are 5 with just the occasional sport.

If you have like minded friends across Europe, you might distribute cuttings to have them trial them in their conditions. For example send out cuttings of your MxK crosses, along with cuttings of the parents. Have each person trial all 3 varieties, then take group photos to compare how the 3 compare in different climates, under different care regimes.

Too bad importing into USA is painfully complicated.

Not sure yet if 'MxK-12-03' has consistent 6 petals all around. But it is not a one-off flower, for sure. When all flowers are open, I should see if I can even find a 7-petal one. The six petals does make the flower seem bigger than it actually is. So it suddenly gives a completely different dynamic to the flower. It's more like a 'Hakubai' (a white 'Kobai' seedling, which I don't have or seen in person.).
I am not too fond of the specific flower shape of 'Mary Helen'. But as a bunch from a distance, the specific flower shape isn't that important for the overall effect of a landscape plant anyway. Many white azalaes like 'Girard's White' or 'Everest' or 'Pleasant White' or 'Desiree' have that similar flower look and plant habit. And arguably 01 and 03 have an improvement, at least how I see it, so that's a win already. Just a question of if they have enough improvement while still having the same winter hardiness that probably the most attractive white satsuki don't have. And for me at least, none of the three are the perfect white azalea.

They also all have the thin, slightly transparent petals (so do both parents). There are many satsuki that are polyploid, which causes their petals to be thicker, which makes it overall superior.

Yeah, you kind of need to do that 'group planting in different climates'-strategy. At some point down the road, I need to convince people in the nursery business to start growing my azalea. So I need at least on variety that I really like and that has been test-grown like that. If it turns out that one of these MxK seedlings is hardier than some of these Japanese satsuki varieties, which it could very well be, then I have some added value. So yes, I am looking for people that are willing to test grow stuff, preferably in Europe. All I can say at this point that these plants survived several winters with -8 C as the lowest temperature (winters have been mild). But so did 'Haru no Sono' (though it was damaged severely by a late April frost wave). When there is a horror winter that wipes out my most attractive satsuki, then that whatever survives has proven itself to be worthy. But I hope it won't come to that (and likely won't for at least a decade or two with the climate change trend.)

Closeup matrix of the my seedlings:
1590434594765.png

Unintended selection. My brother-in-law is a soybean crop geneticist. My sister is a soil scientist. Anyway, bro-in-law developed a "sudden soybean death" resistant cultivar of soybean. Because the 3 years the selection was happening were dry years, the new cultivar was also surprisingly drought resistant. Monsanto bought the rights to the cultivar (covered part of his daughters college tuition), and released the cultivar, it was quite successful, more because of its drought resistance for the maturity group of soybean. At one point several million acres were planted in "his bean". Then a decade later some other variety came along and became more popular. But it is interesting how one can select for one trait and climate or other factors can select for other traits.

Whoa, sounds as if he should have asked even more money. I kind of missed what kind of unintended selection you think I had. Yeah, you just grow as many seedlings as possible and the seedlings that survive/are selected are just those with the right genes to thrive in whatever conditions those happened to be. One should kind of send cuttings to a bunch of bonsai beginners that had think they have bad green fingers for azalea. And whatever cultivar survives the most 'bonsai noobs', that's a good one.

Anyway, the following seedling was kind of low on my radar for a long time, because it started growing really late. R.nakaharae blooms later than most satsuki and some of them also don't grow a lot before flowering. It is like they start mid May with growing and flowering at the same time. Which of course helps protects against late spring frost damaging plants that wake up too early. But once this one started blooming, it definitely caught my eye.

Axe-10-04
1591207780881.png

So another Alexander x Hekisui seedling. Contrary to number 8, this one is creeping, like Alexander. I don't think it will ever get higher than 20cm. But the flowers are the darkest shade of red of any of them. And all flowers on this plant look really good. So they just open up well and have substance. No thin petal ruffles or half flowers or flowers burned by the sun, or holes in them somehow. And they all face upward a little.

Several other creeping seedlings from this cross have have flowers that faceplant themselves into the mud, because of the creeping habit. It also has the star-shaped flowers that some R.nakaharae have (and the cultivar 'Mount Seven Star', because that form was found on Seven Star Mountain in Taiwan and had starlike flowers when almost opening). This seedling of mine may be just as good as the other creeping R.nakaharae cultivar out there currently.

1591212241941.png

For some reason, R.indicum&satsuki type habits is not expressed a lot in many of my seedlings from this cross. You would think if you first cross R.nakaharae with the satsuki 'Kinsai', getting Alexander. And then cross Alexander with Hekisui, you only ahve 25% R.nakaharae left. But some of my seedlings could be mistaken for 100% R.nakaharae forms. Not sure if this means I messed up and Alexander actually self-pollinated and Hekisui isn't involved. I doubt it, because flowers I did not hand-pollinate rately developed seed pods while almost all my hand-pollinated flowers did. If I had infinite resources, I could cross this seedling 4 with 8, and get very Hekisui-like seedlings back 25% of the time. But at this point I rather grow seeds from plants I definitely want involved in the cross. I don't need more R.nakaharae forms. I want some flashy highly variable flowers on more upright bushy plants with dark foliage, small leaves, and medium blooms.

For bonsai, I think 08 will be better than this one. All this one wants to do is cascade. It literally grows more horizontal than vertical, as you can see from one of those branches on the right. At least 08 grows upward, like a pillar but backbuds all over. So they have similar flowers and leaves, but very different growth habits.

@Harunobu you finally posted some pics of your plants and very good pics at that! I don't know how I missed this thread.

Can you explain your method to cross polinate. I usually cut off a stamen and rub it on the stigma until I see the pollen cover it.

At what point do you collect the seed pod?

How long does it take your satsuki seeds to germinate?

Yeah, I don't do anything special. If one were to be all proper about it, one would put the seed plant in a greenhouse. Then get the stamen from the pollen parent, go inside the greenhouse and pull the petals from a flower that has barely not opened, carefully remove those stamen and apply the pollen to the stigma. Then cover up the stigma and label the flower.

When I started out, I noticed plants didn't really set seed unless the flowers were hand pollinated. But back then I had a few plants. Now, there are bumblebees zooming about all day. And seed does set on some flowers. Azaleas avoid cross pollination by having a stigma that's extended further out from the stamen. But this not true for all cultivar. I noted that 'Shisen' and sports (I have 'Hakusen') have shorter stigma, and they set more seeds without me doing anything. One could be connected to the other. I can't really say how much these bumblebees are interfering with my crosses. But I like bumblebees.

So I look for a stamen where I see white stuff on the anther, and I just pull it out. I learned that you can pull out 2 at a time easily. But if you pull out more, the force to pull 3 of them becomes equal to the force to maybe pull off more :). Pulling off only the anthers is unpractical, because you have no hold to apply the pollen. The pollen is always inside this sticky matrix that comes out in strings. Best is to use a pincer and pull it out, because using my fingers I usually touch the anther and some of the pollen comes off already and goes on my finger. Then I try to find a flower where the stigma seems fresh/not dried out/moist and without any sign of pollen on there (there almost never is a sign of pollen, for some reason). Best to remove the stamen there first, without releasing any pollen and contaminating the stigma. And I rub the pollen on there, like you say. You apply some force, rotate, and look if strings are coming out or not.

Many times, no or much less pollen will come out than you hope. You can actually pinch/flick the anther and make strings of the pollen come out, and if you are lucky strings of pollen will start to hang out from the anther, and they are easy to apply.
Sometimes the pollen becomes really dry and is not that sticky and stringy anymore and trying to apply more pollen will result in the applied stuff already falling off. It is easiest when the stigma is coloured because then it is obvious to see you are applying the white stuff and covering the for example pink stigma with white stuff.

Then I label the flower using nylon string and tape, and I tighten it around the base of the flower, around the stem below the ovule. You may thing that maybe labeling around the style is a good idea, but that will dry out and always snap off or get lost. And you need to tighten the noose of the nylon string quite a bit, already imaging the petals are gone. It has to be tight enough to not come off over the now still very tiny ovule. For example, some hail or wind and you could easily lose your label, because the noose can still move over the ovule very easily.

What I think I notice is that once pollen is applied, the flower will lose petals quicker. After 2 days or so they drop. And then the ovule begins to swell. If the flower is not pollinated, the entire ovule will try out and fall off a few weeks after flowering. I already can see some ovules of my azalea right now swelling up, 3 weeks after pollinating them. It is obvious they are seed pods somewhere in July. And then they are green and become hairy.

But they will only be done around December or so. I never had any problems with collecting too early. In my climate, in late November the seed pods will become more and more brown. There is actually quite some window to collect the seeds. If you do nothing, the seed pod will crack open. Then the crack will widen and the seeds will fall out. It is very gradual. Maybe you have seen seed pods that are old. They will stay on for quite some time and eventually become star-shaped as they open up at a more than 45% angle (where 0 degrees is closed, like a pacman/smiley mouth). I just remove the seed pods in December, and my labeling method works good enough that many of them will still have their label. So I put them in the correct envelope and dry them inside. They will pop open quite quickly once inside. But you can also split then and use a knife or needle to prod all the seeds loose.

Sphagnum moss is the best seeding substrate. Of course it has to be wet. They have to be surface sown as light is needed for them to germinate. And the first 2 to 3 weeks, I put a bag around them for increased humidity. I have had some fungus grow, but I don't think it ever attacked the seeds. They germinate for me in 3 to 4 weeks. Then you see the root emerge from the seed and soon after it will become upright and the leaves emerge as the seed cover drops from the cotyledon. And then you have a long way to go to get them to big enough plants to flower.

It's kind of a low skill hobby, I would say. You just need to be patient and lucky. You can't really control what happens, as it is so complex and unpredictable. You just pick two parents. then invest the patience and some horticulture. And picking 'good' parents, I am not convinced there really is such a thing as a good parent. Pick two plants you like. Best thing to determine is if they are actually fertile. Could be frustrating trying to pollinate a plant that turns out to be seed infertile (for example because of hose-in-hose). Probably parents that are very different from each other are better, unless you have a specific goal. And even more ideal; the four grandparents are all very different. If you cross two azalea that are very homozygous, you get many different seedlings, which should be interesting and surprising and therefore more fun. If you were to cross two species, following very simple Mendelian genetics (which we know are incorrect), all seedlings would be heterozygous and they would all express the dominant phenotype. Meaning all seedlings will be identical.
Among satsuki, there are some parents that have been very popular/successful, like 'Kozan', 'Juko' and 'Suisen'. But sporting flowers in satsuki is such a peculiar and specific thing, any variation in gene expression or transposons can give different flower patterns very easily. Just keep in mind that in general, colour is dominant over whiteness, intense colour is dominant over paleness, purple is dominant over red, and solid coloured flowers are dominant over bicolour/variegated flowers.

If you just want a seedling that is nice enough to keep, 10 seedlings to flowering is fine. If you want to register your cultivar and have nurseries grow it, that's a very different challenge; 100 to 10 000, maybe.
I very likely will be able to share around seed this December. In the past, I mailed people, some in countries where they didn't have many satsuki cultivar, seeds, with varying success. It cannot really replace getting a bunch of cuttings from the nicest Japanese satsuki. But it is a lot better than nothing. You get some azalea, some can be really nice, in their own way. And they are truly yours.

It is best to use your favourate parent as the seed parent. Then you definirely know that one is definitely the parent. But furthermore, the seedling inherits plastome DNA from the seed parent only. Just as we get out mitochondrial DNA from our mothers only. Now, I think there have been some exceptions described to this rule in plants. And not sure if people know what kind of impact tht truly has. But just something to think about. Crossing A x B is not identical to crossing B x A (seed parent first, pollen parent second).

Last edited:
I really like the A x E 10-04, that is a beautiful deeply colored flower. The uniform opening, the upward facing traits all make it exceptional. That one is a keeper. Nice. Though the 10-08 is pretty similar. The uniform opening makes for a striking photo.

Yeah, I don't do anything special. If one were to be all proper about it, one would put the seed plant in a greenhouse. Then get the stamen from the pollen parent, go inside the greenhouse and pull the petals from a flower that has barely not opened, carefully remove those stamen and apply the pollen to the stigma. Then cover up the stigma and label the flower.

When I started out, I noticed plants didn't really set seed unless the flowers were hand pollinated. But back then I had a few plants. Now, there are bumblebees zooming about all day. And seed does set on some flowers. Azaleas avoid cross pollination by having a stigma that's extended further out from the stamen. But this not true for all cultivar. I noted that 'Shisen' and sports (I have 'Hakusen') have shorter stigma, and they set more seeds without me doing anything. One could be connected to the other. I can't really say how much these bumblebees are interfering with my crosses. But I like bumblebees.

So I look for a stamen where I see white stuff on the anther, and I just pull it out. I learned that you can pull out 2 at a time easily. But if you pull out more, the force to pull 3 of them becomes equal to the force to maybe pull off more :). Pulling off only the anthers is unpractical, because you have no hold to apply the pollen. The pollen is always inside this sticky matrix that comes out in strings. Best is to use a pincer and pull it out, because using my fingers I usually touch the anther and some of the pollen comes off already and goes on my finger. Then I try to find a flower where the stigma seems fresh/not dried out/moist and without any sign of pollen on there (there almost never is a sign of pollen, for some reason). Best to remove the stamen there first, without releasing any pollen and contaminating the stigma. And I rub the pollen on there, like you say. You apply some force, rotate, and look if strings are coming out or not.

Many times, no or much less pollen will come out than you hope. You can actually pinch/flick the anther and make strings of the pollen come out, and if you are lucky strings of pollen will start to hang out from the anther, and they are easy to apply.
Sometimes the pollen becomes really dry and is not that sticky and stringy anymore and trying to apply more pollen will result in the applied stuff already falling off. It is easiest when the stigma is coloured because then it is obvious to see you are applying the white stuff and covering the for example pink stigma with white stuff.

Then I label the flower using nylon string and tape, and I tighten it around the base of the flower, around the stem below the ovule. You may thing that maybe labeling around the style is a good idea, but that will dry out and always snap off or get lost. And you need to tighten the noose of the nylon string quite a bit, already imaging the petals are gone. It has to be tight enough to not come off over the now still very tiny ovule. For example, some hail or wind and you could easily lose your label, because the noose can still move over the ovule very easily.

What I think I notice is that once pollen is applied, the flower will lose petals quicker. After 2 days or so they drop. And then the ovule begins to swell. If the flower is not pollinated, the entire ovule will try out and fall off a few weeks after flowering. I already can see some ovules of my azalea right now swelling up, 3 weeks after pollinating them. It is obvious they are seed pods somewhere in July. And then they are green and become hairy.

But they will only be done around December or so. I never had any problems with collecting too early. In my climate, in late November the seed pods will become more and more brown. There is actually quite some window to collect the seeds. If you do nothing, the seed pod will crack open. Then the crack will widen and the seeds will fall out. It is very gradual. Maybe you have seen seed pods that are old. They will stay on for quite some time and eventually become star-shaped as they open up at a more than 45% angle (where 0 degrees is closed, like a pacman/smiley mouth). I just remove the seed pods in December, and my labeling method works good enough that many of them will still have their label. So I put them in the correct envelope and dry them inside. They will pop open quite quickly once inside. But you can also split then and use a knife or needle to prod all the seeds loose.

Sphagnum moss is the best seeding substrate. Of course it has to be wet. They have to be surface sown as light is needed for them to germinate. And the first 2 to 3 weeks, I put a bag around them for increased humidity. I have had some fungus grow, but I don't think it ever attacked the seeds. They germinate for me in 3 to 4 weeks. Then you see the root emerge from the seed and soon after it will become upright and the leaves emerge as the seed cover drops from the cotyledon. And then you have a long way to go to get them to big enough plants to flower.

It's kind of a low skill hobby, I would say. You just need to be patient and lucky. You can't really control what happens, as it is so complex and unpredictable. You just pick two parents. then invest the patience and some horticulture. And picking 'good' parents, I am not convinced there really is such a thing as a good parent. Pick two plants you like. Best thing to determine is if they are actually fertile. Could be frustrating trying to pollinate a plant that turns out to be seed infertile (for example because of hose-in-hose). Probably parents that are very different from each other are better, unless you have a specific goal. And even more ideal; the four grandparents are all very different. If you cross two azalea that are very homozygous, you get many different seedlings, which should be interesting and surprising and therefore more fun. If you were to cross two species, following very simple Mendelian genetics (which we know are incorrect), all seedlings would be heterozygous and they would all express the dominant phenotype. Meaning all seedlings will be identical.
Among satsuki, there are some parents that have been very popular/successful, like 'Kozan', 'Juko' and 'Suisen'. But sporting flowers in satsuki is such a peculiar and specific thing, any variation in gene expression or transposons can give different flower patterns very easily. Just keep in mind that in general, colour is dominant over whiteness, intense colour is dominant over paleness, purple is dominant over red, and solid coloured flowers are dominant over bicolour/variegated flowers.

If you just want a seedling that is nice enough to keep, 10 seedlings to flowering is fine. If you want to register your cultivar and have nurseries grow it, that's a very different challenge; 100 to 10 000, maybe.
I very likely will be able to share around seed this December. In the past, I mailed people, some in countries where they didn't have many satsuki cultivar, seeds, with varying success. It cannot really replace getting a bunch of cuttings from the nicest Japanese satsuki. But it is a lot better than nothing. You get some azalea, some can be really nice, in their own way. And they are truly yours.

It is best to use your favourate parent as the seed parent. Then you definirely know that one is definitely the parent. But furthermore, the seedling inherits plastome DNA from the seed parent only. Just as we get out mitochondrial DNA from our mothers only. Now, I think there have been some exceptions described to this rule in plants. And not sure if people know what kind of impact tht truly has. But just something to think about. Crossing A x B is not identical to crossing B x A (seed parent first, pollen parent second).
I hand pollinated some flowers here, not satsuki but hybrids....waiting to see what develops. I would be interested in trying some of your seeds in particular the small white flowered ones. Those are very nice.

What you’re doing is awesome. The world needs more plant breeders.

Have you ever messed around with inducing polyploidy?

There is a professor/breeder at Oregon State University who has used it to develop some cultivars of native plants to make them more suitable for home landscapes. He uses mostly oryzalin, not colchicine, which is a way safer compound , also dirt cheap and virtually unregulated in the U.S.A.

I think considering polyploidy in azaleas is an excellent point. Turns out several satsuki cultivar are already polyploid. Haru no Sono/Issho no Haru and Suisen and sports being prime examples. You can notice the petals are just fatter, which has all kinds of advantages. It seems to me that tetraploid azaleas are superior in every respect. Triploid azaleas seem to look similar, but they have fertility problems. Pretty sure many Robin Hill azalea have the same properties. But I don't think anyone tested those.

I highly considered using tetraploid satsuki as often as possible for better results. But inducing it myself, no. It has been tried successfully in the past. But one kinda has to wonder why we don't take every existing cultivar, turn it into a polyploid with oryzalin or colchicine, and forget about the old diploid version. Not entirely sure why.

There are of course some practical problems. Do do it properly, you need to check the ploidy. I never used flow cytometry myself, in my research, but when it came up someone always mentioned that it was too expensive and there was a machine somewhere, but a long waiting list as well. I should have the skills to take growing tips of my azalea, use a chromosome dye, and use a microscope to count the individual chromosomes. At this point in my career, not sure how to arrange the kit.

On top of that, if I wanted to induce it, it seems I still need to do some tissue culture on azalea in a oryzalin bath. And something that messes with microtubili in plants so to prevent chromosome segregation is still toxic.

Maybe the most practical way would be to soak seeds in a solution of oryzalin just as you sow them. But it would be nice to be somehow able to check what you are doing. The seeds may already be triploid, for example. And then the plant looks triploid, and you think your method works. And it doesn't look like this stuff is for sale in the EU to consumers. Making a 0.002% solution of something only classified as a 'irritant' and 'environmental hazard' doesn't sound super dangerous. But anything that messed with DNA in some way, don't mess with it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Well, some googling and I learned today that they trialed colchicine as a drug against covid19. And that there are people growing cannabis plants that try to create polyploid plants by trying to extract colchicine from crocus bulbs, warning the reader of the article that colchicine is extremely toxic, but here go try this anyway.

Last edited:
@Pitoon

Not sure which plants/blooms specifically you refer to, but something involving 'Hekisui', 'Hakurei' or 'Kobai' could be of interest to you. I guess with 'white' you probably don't mean a pure solid with plant with no sports at all, right? Send me a message in late November.

Instead of doing cell squashes and counting chromosomes, you could just measure the size of stomata guard cells. Only requires a dissection scope, with a micrometer grid in the lens. Take measurements from multiple stomata. Record and get average. First measure a known diploid. Then a known tetraploid. You will see pretty accurate segregation. The triploid will be half way between in it's average. Aneuploids will not be "whole number" multiples.

The method was "proofed" as a less costly short cut in orchids. Worth seeing if it works for azalea.

Back
Top Bottom