My Mugo

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is an example of a similar Mugo I worked on while I was in Iowa this last week. Long way to go but it now has a direction. You will notice the stubs where many major branches were removed and I hope you get an idea what I am doing. This tree is about the same age as yours and it is also a Pumilio of about five to seven years. I plan on doing more wiring this summer as the bark starts to harden.

DesmoinesMugo2018.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is an example of a similar Mugo I worked on while I was in Iowa this last week. Long way to go but it now has a direction. You will notice the stubs where many major branches were removed and I hope you get an idea what I am doing. This tree is about the same age as yours and it is also a Pumilio of about five to seven years. I plan on doing more wiring this summer as the bark starts to harden.

View attachment 191916
Yeah, VW,
Thanks for chiming in!
I certainly have some wiring to do this summer... to set a base structure....and work on back budding from there!

I was originally going to pick a line and remove a bunch of foliage, but I think now, I'm gonna try to use as much as I can.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah, VW,
Thanks for chiming in!
I certainly have some wiring to do this summer... to set a base structure....and work on back budding from there!

I was originally going to pick a line and remove a bunch of foliage, but I think now, I'm gonna try to use as much as I can.
It is always best to preserve as much foliage as you can in relation to the design concept. This makes less chance for a disaster in the begining. However you have to have some sort of idea what you want to do in the beginning. This is the hard thing to accomplish. I have some more trees to post from this last week.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What is your assessment to your design decisions? What do you see as good and what do you see as in need of improvement? I am so happy to see you chasing one of these things around your benches.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What is your assessment to your design decisions? What do you see as good and what do you see as in need of improvement? I am so happy to see you chasing one of these things around your benches.
Thanks Vance...
Honestly, I'm not too happy with it, overall.

Positives:
I got the tree opened up to get some sun light into the interior.
I got good movement into the branches.
I compacted the tree a bit.

Negatives:
I am still struggling with the same thing as before...I think there are too many branches.
It kinda looks like a deciduous tree right now.
I think a smaller tree is in there, in the future.

I was originally going to Jin half of it, and style the rest, as a smaller tree...then i decided to keep all the branches and see where it took me...and like I said, I'm not liking it too much.

I'll leave it be until next summer, and then make some more decisions.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you are wise to let it grow and see where it goes on its own. Percentage wise I don't know how much you removed but I can tell you that too much of an overall reduction can cause problems. Keep your eyes open and set the tree before you as often as possible and just look at it. Look for good points like a movement in the trunk, the emergence of a branchs, and anything that looks bonsaiish. When you find these traits don't jump to conclusions, just contemplate those things and see what the tree may be telling you. Look at the over-all general rules of design in bonsai and try to understand where you have violated those rules. Sometimes these violations can be usefull but most of the time they are distracting. One point here that I see is the fact that your current design has a lot of parallelisms going on. Too much of your design though it may not be bar branches, visually has the effect of creating design elements where the horizontal movements are accros from each other, the major distraction of bar branches.

Technically you need to work on your wiring skills. Believe me, these things do not correct themselves you have to go after a solution. There are quite a few things on the Net by Ryan Neil and there is a free tutorial available on Craftsy that is quit good. Watch someone who knows what they are doing and observe what they do and how they do it. Remember; especially when using copper wire it takes two hands to do it correctly. The wire must be anchored correctly and then it must be supported by one hand against the trunk while it is twisted around the branch with the other. When each loop accros the branch is made it must be supported by the other hand all the way up the branch. The supporting hand follows the looping hand. The wire must be placed around the branch without any negetive space, loops of wire with the light shining through the gaps between the wire and the branch. I know there is one "Master" who teaches that the wire should be loosely wrapped around the branch so it wont bite into the bark, but it is impossible to find examples of masterpiece bonsai by this master. One is left to ask why?!

You need also to understand what to remove and what might happen when you do. This tree is a lot like looking at my own early efforts; that's why I am spending the time with you on it. A master I am not but I have also found that many who are masters came by those skills naturally; everything I know I have had to learn the hard way, so I am not one who will sit back and say; "You figure it out!" If I can help I will do so.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think you are wise to let it grow and see where it goes on its own. Percentage wise I don't know how much you removed but I can tell you that too much of an overall reduction can cause problems. Keep your eyes open and set the tree before you as often as possible and just look at it. Look for good points like a movement in the trunk, the emergence of a branchs, and anything that looks bonsaiish. When you find these traits don't jump to conclusions, just contemplate those things and see what the tree may be telling you. Look at the over-all general rules of design in bonsai and try to understand where you have violated those rules. Sometimes these violations can be usefull but most of the time they are distracting. One point here that I see is the fact that your current design has a lot of parallelisms going on. Too much of your design though it may not be bar branches, visually has the effect of creating design elements where the horizontal movements are accros from each other, the major distraction of bar branches.

Technically you need to work on your wiring skills. Believe me, these things do not correct themselves you have to go after a solution. There are quite a few things on the Net by Ryan Neil and there is a free tutorial available on Craftsy that is quit good. Watch someone who knows what they are doing and observe what they do and how they do it. Remember; especially when using copper wire it takes two hands to do it correctly. The wire must be anchored correctly and then it must be supported by one hand against the trunk while it is twisted around the branch with the other. When each loop accros the branch is made it must be supported by the other hand all the way up the branch. The supporting hand follows the looping hand. The wire must be placed around the branch without any negetive space, loops of wire with the light shining through the gaps between the wire and the branch. I know there is one "Master" who teaches that the wire should be loosely wrapped around the branch so it wont bite into the bark, but it is impossible to find examples of masterpiece bonsai by this master. One is left to ask why?!

You need also to understand what to remove and what might happen when you do. This tree is a lot like looking at my own early efforts; that's why I am spending the time with you on it. A master I am not but I have also found that many who are masters came by those skills naturally; everything I know I have had to learn the hard way, so I am not one who will sit back and say; "You figure it out!" If I can help I will do so.
I really appreciate your time Vance.
I surely need more wiring practice.
I know I have at least one spot with crossing wires...
I try to keep the loops loose when I get to the foliage... though there are some loose spots on the branches as well...

I will absolutely spend plenty of time studying this tree over the next year...for structure and wiring flaws, and correct in the future.

I do have a question for you, regarding the colander... how many years do you leave them alone in there before a repotting?
I'm in no rush to pot it up, in fact, I'll probably use the colander again after it's first repotting...but just curious...?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I really appreciate your time Vance.
I surely need more wiring practice.
I know I have at least one spot with crossing wires...
I try to keep the loops loose when I get to the foliage... though there are some loose spots on the branches as well...

I will absolutely spend plenty of time studying this tree over the next year...for structure and wiring flaws, and correct in the future.

I do have a question for you, regarding the colander... how many years do you leave them alone in there before a repotting?
I'm in no rush to pot it up, in fact, I'll probably use the colander again after it's first repotting...but just curious...?
Usually I move out of a colander at the most about five years. Technically you can leave them there a lot longer than that but because the produce nothing but feeder roots they tend to become as dense as a fiber door mat, something your kind of want to avoid. Any time after two years you can repot; three is better.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice bro!
You came a long way with this one!
Even if you are not satisfied yet your patience will be rewarded on the long run keep it up !

Top Bottom