My little sweet gum

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I would post a couple of pictures of my little sweet gum tree. Its the smallest tree I have. Will never bee anything special but fun to work on and may have some nice color in the fall. Grows well in my area also.

Next year I plan on defoliating to get the leaves smaller. They shrink up real nice.

Trimmed it up this afternoon. Leaving the lower shoot on. Maybe it will thicken the base of the years?

20170727_130530.jpg
20170727_133622.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Cute little tree, the lower shoots will thicken the base, but it will also leave a scar so you may want to take that into account. What's ur plan for it?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've done well with these leaves, they look in good shape for this time of year. I was never able to keep sweet gums healthy here. This should be nice in fall color, please post it.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've done well with these leaves, they look in good shape for this time of year. I was never able to keep sweet gums healthy here. This should be nice in fall color, please post it.
Thanks Judy. I killed a very nice sweetgum last year but learned what I did wrong. I have this little tree and also growing two separate trees that will be planted together next spring. Together they should have lots of leaves which is what I want to see in the fall. It wont be a cool looking bonsai but I will style it for as much foliage as possible.
20170825_204047 (1) (Small).jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is that painted mica? I've thought about doing the same when reading comments on keeping certain species roots cool.

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that painted mica? I've thought about doing the same when reading comments on keeping certain species roots cool.

I have painted the mica training pots. My daughter did s few with Japanese Characters years ago and it is still there and bright. acrylic

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree with good movement. Could be great tree one day with love/patience;).

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Judy. I killed a very nice sweetgum last year but learned what I did wrong. I have this little tree and also growing two separate trees that will be planted together next spring. Together they should have lots of leaves which is what I want to see in the fall. It wont be a cool looking bonsai but I will style it for as much foliage as possible.
View attachment 158437

I will be collecting a couple this season. I’m wandering about the mortality of your previous tree, and what you did differently..any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be collecting a couple this season. I’m wandering about the mortality of your previous tree, and what you did differently..any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
These have delicate roots and if the pot gets to hot it will burn the root tips and cause massive black spots on the leaves. I didn't know this when I bought it. Thought it could handle full sun.
I keep this little one in more shade and use a white pot to help in the hot Texas summer.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi c54fun,
Are you sure it is sweet gum? To me, the leaves looks like Liquidamber orientalis!
Bonhe

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi c54fun,
Are you sure it is sweet gum? To me, the leaves looks like Liquidamber orientalis!
Bonhe
Liquidambar orientalis, commonly known as oriental sweetgum aka sweetgum.

Top Bottom