My first real one :-)

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This weekend I finally visited a real bonsai center. My other trees (pepper and ulmus) come from a large garden center and I didn't know what to expect.
I had a one hour drive ahead and I was really hoping I wouldn't get dissappointed and come to a place where they have like 20 trees and all way out of budget.

When I arrived I saw a large front garden with some trees in pots, nothing special thou... Found the sign entrance.
I was welcomed by the owner who was just giving a class. Told him what the point of my visit was and he took a moment to talk to me.
He told me to have a look around and I could call him when I needed anything.

In the front there were some pots, soil etc... And then I entered the greenhouse... :eek:
The quality and quantity was far more than I ever expected o_O How on earth was I'm going to pick a tree out of allllll these trees.....? (All trees were pricetagged so that narrowed my choice pretty fast :p)

This is the tree I fell for (and my wallet could handle ;))

20180121_070536_resized.jpg
20180121_070602_resized.jpg
20180121_070607_resized.jpg
20180121_070617_resized.jpg
20180121_070624_resized.jpg

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice tree!! I'm only learning so won't offer you any advice on what you do with it and how you develop it but will watch with interest!

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree!! I'm only learning so won't offer you any advice on what you do with it and how you develop it but will watch with interest!
Thanks Andy :D
I hope you have a copple of years.. it might take a while... :p

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol. Yeah at Ginkgo you would have been overwhelmed!

Is this a deshojo maple?

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm living in Germany. I think there should be no problem sharing a link, since it's a request, not ad spam.
Worth the visit. And while you're there, it's about 15 minutes away from Gent.

Reaction score
I would advice to take classes there, great insights and some free group meetings with discussions a few times a year. Worth one hour of driving. (it must mean we live not far apart). You picked up a nice one. Looks like a regular acer palmatum although there are some hints of red in the branches. There is absolutely no other nursery you will find "cheap" developed material, yamadori and high end quality trees next to each other. http://dannybonsaicenterginkgo.skynetblogs.be/ or find "Danny ginkgo" on facebook. This tree has had its first styling last year and a lot of branches stayed on the tree to leave options open. You can end with a good tree in 5 years or a fantastic one in 10 years (with guidance).

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive been to ginko once and was actualy the first time for me too visiting a real bonsai nursery so i know how amazed you must have been lol
im from holland it was well worth the 3,5 hour drive lol

You picked a nice tree
It seems to have some inversed taper in the top i sugest to think about an airlayer, if you choose to airlayer the top off you will have another tree :)

Im into bonsai 2 years now and just started attending some workshops and like dirk says it will realy help you improve your tree's but also your own knowledge and techniques there are quite a few bonsai clubs in belgium too so maybe even one close to you probably worth a visit too

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would advice to take classes there, great insights and some free group meetings with discussions a few times a year. Worth one hour of driving. (it must mean we live not far apart). You picked up a nice one. Looks like a regular acer palmatum although there are some hints of red in the branches. There is absolutely no other nursery you will find "cheap" developed material, yamadori and high end quality trees next to each other. http://dannybonsaicenterginkgo.skynetblogs.be/ or find "Danny ginkgo" on facebook. This tree has had its first styling last year and a lot of branches stayed on the tree to leave options open. You can end with a good tree in 5 years or a fantastic one in 10 years (with guidance).
Thans Dirk!
I will attend some classes for sure!
First class I normally attend will be about repotting but it's hard to get a free spot :(
I need all the help I can get and I'm sure the quality of guidance I'll get there will be great.

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive been to ginko once and was actualy the first time for me too visiting a real bonsai nursery so i know how amazed you must have been lol
im from holland it was well worth the 3,5 hour drive lol
You picked a nice tree
Thanks!
And yes, the moment I stepped into the greenhouse... I knew I had to postpone all my other plans for that day o_O
I'm glad you like the tree I went for. Wasn't easy but I fell right away for it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Andrew!
I'm from Belgium (Europe) and the place is called gingko bonsai center.
Don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the website.
Ginkgo bonsai center...any ginkgos? Lovely tree...

Unsure if permitted by our rules? Or the bonsai center. You would be able to share link if concerned about rules here.

Congrats on the tree. Looks sweet!

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene,
Google the first three words of your post and you'll find it straight away.

He surely has some ginkgos. I'm not sure what to think of them... Not such a fan of the tree but I do like the shape of the leaves.

Top Bottom