my first Juniper

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a Juniper this week, it's tall and extremely thin. And it arrived already wired in a spiral shape.
Do I need to do anything with it? Or just love and take car of it?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Show us a pic and maybe we can help you out. Keep it outside in the sun and water when it needs it are the two most important things.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it. Just water and feed it plant food once a month. Remove the wire when it starts digging in or in about 6 months.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
I like it. Just water and feed it plant food once a month. Remove the wire when it starts digging in or in about 6 months.
I'm not so smart with plant food, and it's difficult because I can't read in this country. I normally water my trees with water from my aquarium, I reckon that will have enough nutrients.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't remember anyone from China on this forum before. Are there a lot of internet regulations? I'm not sure about the aquarium water but it sounds like it will work.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't remember anyone from China on this forum before. Are there a lot of internet regulations? I'm not sure about the aquarium water but it sounds like it will work.
I'm originally South African, and far far away I've got an awesome few plants that will make great bonsai because they're some years old, but they're far far away.

AlanReynolds

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Junipers are actually my personal favorite, I blame the karate kid movies when I was younger. lol when most people think of bonsai, most people I believe think of juniper or possibly Japanese maple species. I personally grow a bunch of different species, but most I think, think of some kind of juniper species.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't pay attention to the trees when I saw karate kid. But anyway, the rain is over for now and we've got sunshine for the first time in a month. This is not my proposed front though, just showing off the bright new buds1491021040758-1287255534.jpg

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How will I know when to remove or relax the wiring? I noticed it seems a bit tight at the base. IMG_20170427_122659.jpg IMG_20170427_122709.jpg

AlanReynolds

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If the plant stays in the shape you want after removing the wire, then you are good to go. If you need to reapply then this is your chance to make sure the wire isn't biting into the bark of your bonsai. I usually wire, rewire, then I'll let it grow a season, trim and the rinse and repeat process. Once trunk is set, them you can start working on pads and branches if the bonsai is large enough to your liking. If not, let grow for a season or 2 (or much longer, patience is key to bonsai) keeping the trunk in the shape you want. I even use bamboo sticks to prop branches up temporary instead of wiring. There is always more than one wat to skin a cat. ;-)

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mind which direction the trunk will grow, but I can use strings and things to guide the branhces. I need to give this guy all the freedom it needs to grow a bit thicker.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The treedom you talk about is put it in the ground and let it grow a couple years thats the fastest way but you do want to wire the trunk now for movement !

But just leave the tree recover now and let it grow

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The treedom you talk about is put it in the ground and let it grow a couple years thats the fastest way but you do want to wire the trunk now for movement !

But just leave the tree recover now and let it grow
i haven't got any ground to plant it in, unless i get a gigantic pot, that's my only option

AlanReynolds

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yup yup waiting and watching your tree grow over time is probably the reason we all joined this hobby. the feeling of achievement, growth, moving onwards and upwards with progression in life hopefully is probably most of our goals in this hobby. Good luck, I always put my juniper clippings into a rooting solution so I can make more new bonsai to take up some of the waiting time waiting for another specimen to grow for a couple seasons. I think that's what gets some of us into trouble including myself, now I have over 3500 plants and still growing those stupid clippings. I just cant seem to throw out clipping bigger than a certain size, and after growing bonsai for30 years,, those darn clippings start to add up....luckily, if you don't wire a particular tree today, or this week, or even this month, they are usually pretty forgiving as long as they get watered enough to stay alive. that way if I get bored there is always something to shape, wire, trim, repot, ect, or if all I feel like doing is watering them, they really aren't that picky.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yup yup waiting and watching your tree grow over time is probably the reason we all joined this hobby. the feeling of achievement, growth, moving onwards and upwards with progression in life hopefully is probably most of our goals in this hobby. Good luck, I always put my juniper clippings into a rooting solution so I can make more new bonsai to take up some of the waiting time waiting for another specimen to grow for a couple seasons. I think that's what gets some of us into trouble including myself, now I have over 3500 plants and still growing those stupid clippings. I just cant seem to throw out clipping bigger than a certain size, and after growing bonsai for30 years,, those darn clippings start to add up....luckily, if you don't wire a particular tree today, or this week, or even this month, they are usually pretty forgiving as long as they get watered enough to stay alive. that way if I get bored there is always something to shape, wire, trim, repot, ect, or if all I feel like doing is watering them, they really aren't that picky.

Thats why bonsai could be seen as an obsession or addiction lol

Top Bottom