My Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree [CA to NC_27-SEP-2023]

dhelix33

Seedling
Reaction score
My Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree arrived yesterday evening. After taking the tree out of a box - it has been sealed in and traveled in for at least seven days from California to me in North Carolina - I took it to its new home at a window in our home - where I intend for the tree to lodge until the Spring - where I may move it to our Sunroom. [I have attached a series of images to support my share - for context].

1. Out of the box I placed in the window next where I am keeping my recovering Fukien Tea [another story I have told, will share update soon]. One nice thing is that the carrier apparently followed the shipping instruction asked as Fragile - and to keep upright only - Bravo!]

2. I did a - somewhat scientific - moisture content test for the Chinese Elm bonsai. Placed a thin wood skewer stick in the root ball for several minutes - appears not completely dry - so I lightly watered the pot [little over 2 oz. - which was drained out as seen this morning]. Also misted the leaves with water after being sealed in that dark box for at least seven days.

3. Put under a grow light last night [and tonight] for about 6 hours after being sealed in that creepy and unpleasant box for at least seven days.

4. There was some leaves that dropped in transit. However, less than I thought - at first glance what I thought were dying leaves were NEW GROWTH! Will keep the tree here in hopes of continued new growth. This tree will transition over to the sunroom year round after I babysit it for a while :cool:. Again, hoping the tree will like it here.

Some questions -

a. Seen conflicting suggestions on this. OK with a few hours direct sunlight, or suggest in shade for now?
b. 6 hours under grow lamp ok?
c. Watering suggestions from Chinese Elm owners with a tree this approx. size [about 15-inches from root top to apex], in similar sized pot [10-inch]?
d. Suggestions on when to prune and shape?
e. Suggestions on when to repot?
f. Any thoughts for a plan of action forward?

Thanks for any assistance!
Greg
Cary, NC

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9945.jpg
    IMG_9945.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9942.jpg
    IMG_9942.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9937.jpg
    IMG_9937.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9921.jpg
    IMG_9921.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9911.jpg
    IMG_9911.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9948.jpg
    IMG_9948.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 27
Some questions -

a. Seen conflicting suggestions on this. OK with a few hours direct sunlight, or suggest in shade for now?
should be fine in sun, however glass attenuates a lot of light so it's not as beneficial as you might think

b. 6 hours under grow lamp ok?
Needs more, at least 12 hours per day if you are keeping it inside
c. Watering suggestions from Chinese Elm owners with a tree this approx. size [about 15-inches from root top to apex], in similar sized pot [10-inch]?
When it needs it. Keep using the chopstick and water when its almost dry. Water enough so that it comes out the drainage holes
d. Suggestions on when to prune and shape
spring pruning. Use cut paste on cuts after pruning branches. Can trim back extention growth periodically. If it's healthy and vigorous, you are going to see a ton of growth. Mine looked like a bush by mid summer
e. Suggestions on when to repot?
spring as it starts to push new growth
f. Any thoughts for a plan of action forward?

You were probably sold this as an indoor tree. Its really not an indoor tree. It will do much better if you allow the tree to be outside and allow it to experience dormancy around 40 degrees. You will need to provide winter protection where temperatures are below freezing.

It will do ok inside for a few years but will most likely eventually weaken and die.

Please put your location on your profile.
We will not remember you are in NC from thread to thread. A lot of bonsai advice is location dependant

A week in a box is not so bad for trees. They probably just think it is a long night.
Assuming the 6 hours grow light is in addition to daylight that should be OK, especially as the room appears to be well lit with lots more glass than most houses.
There's no reason for shade now. I doubt the leaves have adapted to no sun in just a week so it should be fine with moderate sun. Just be careful with sun through glass as it can get far hotter than outdoors.
Water when the tree needs it. Soil moisture is the key indicator. Amount and frequency will vary according to pot size, tree size, soil type, time of year, humidity, temps, etc, etc. so there's no way of giving you a formula. Use the skewer to gauge soil moisture and help decide when to water.
Prune when the shoots get long. Time of year does not matter for pruning.
Repot can be almost any time of year in warmer areas and probably when the tree is indoors but most still stick to the early spring repot schedule. Be aware that Chinese elm may not drop leaves in winter if they are kept warm. That does not seem to be a problem for the tree and they can still be repotted with leaves on.

Plan going forward is to keep it alive and trim when shoots grow long.

should be fine in sun, however glass attenuates a lot of light so it's not as beneficial as you might think

Needs more, at least 12 hours per day if you are keeping it inside

When it needs it. Keep using the chopstick and water when its almost dry. Water enough so that it comes out the drainage holes

spring pruning. Use cut paste on cuts after pruning branches. Can trim back extention growth periodically. If it's healthy and vigorous, you are going to see a ton of growth. Mine looked like a bush by mid summer

spring as it starts to push new growth

You were probably sold this as an indoor tree. Its really not an indoor tree. It will do much better if you allow the tree to be outside and allow it to experience dormancy around 40 degrees. You will need to provide winter protection where temperatures are below freezing.

It will do ok inside for a few years but will most likely eventually weaken and die.

Please put your location on your profile.
We will not remember you are in NC from thread to thread. A lot of bonsai advice is location dependant
By the numbers Paradox- I most appreciate this detailed guidance. While I considered keeping the Chinese Elm indoors near my desk, after repeated shout outs that this tree is - meant - to be outdoors - I can do that. That being said, my Chinese Elm bonsai tree will not languish permanently at a well lit window sill area next to my desk. I intend to let it sit for a few days, maybe a week or two, by my desk - so the tree can rest [and did play some James Taylor for the tree to relax - from this UNC Tar Heel]. Have seen recommendation the tree stay indoors until Spring - However, it is getting out to the sunroom well before the first cold snap of winter hits us here in the Research Triangle Park. It will be stationed in our three season sunroom [too cold to 'chill' out there in the winter - rarely falls below 32 degrees Fahrenheit here in the Piedmont/Eastern North Carolina region though]. Will look at indicating where I live for environment reference data on the site.

Attachments

• Sunroom and Table.png
    Sunroom and Table.png
    521.4 KB · Views: 13
A week in a box is not so bad for trees. They probably just think it is a long night.
Assuming the 6 hours grow light is in addition to daylight that should be OK, especially as the room appears to be well lit with lots more glass than most houses.
There's no reason for shade now. I doubt the leaves have adapted to no sun in just a week so it should be fine with moderate sun. Just be careful with sun through glass as it can get far hotter than outdoors.
Water when the tree needs it. Soil moisture is the key indicator. Amount and frequency will vary according to pot size, tree size, soil type, time of year, humidity, temps, etc, etc. so there's no way of giving you a formula. Use the skewer to gauge soil moisture and help decide when to water.
Prune when the shoots get long. Time of year does not matter for pruning.
Repot can be almost any time of year in warmer areas and probably when the tree is indoors but most still stick to the early spring repot schedule. Be aware that Chinese elm may not drop leaves in winter if they are kept warm. That does not seem to be a problem for the tree and they can still be repotted with leaves on.

Plan going forward is to keep it alive and trim when shoots grow long.
I am also most appreciative of this guidance. As I told Paradox, while I considered keeping the Chinese Elm indoors near my desk, after repeated shout outs that this tree is - meant - to be outdoors - I can do that. That being said, my Chinese Elm bonsai tree will not languish permanently at a well lit window sill area next to my desk. I intend to let it sit for a few days, maybe a week or two, by my desk - so the tree can rest [and did play some James Taylor for the tree to relax - from this UNC Tar Heel]. Have seen recommendation the tree stay indoors until Spring - However, it is getting out to the sunroom well before the first cold snap of winter hits us here in the Research Triangle Park. It will be stationed in our three season sunroom [too cold to 'chill' out there in the winter - rarely falls below 32 degrees Fahrenheit here in the Piedmont/Eastern North Carolina region though]. Will look at indicating where I live for environment reference data on the site.

Attachments

• Sunroom and Table.png
    Sunroom and Table.png
    521.4 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom