My Bonsai has crispy and faded leaves, how can I revive?

Peachy_26

Seed
Reaction score
I have had my bonsai tree since December last year and in the last few months it has gotten severely try and lost all its lush green leaves. Ive been left with crispy leaveS that are faded yellow and green.

I have watered my bonsai sufficiently but this has not helped.
I also am unsure of the best spot for my bonsai, as any sunlight seems to make it dry out.

I would love to know how I can properly care for it and re generate it.

Attachments

• tempImageM6gI6X.png
    tempImageM6gI6X.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
  • tempImageulJBpg.png
    tempImageulJBpg.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
  • tempImage1RbJwe.png
    tempImage1RbJwe.png
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • tempImageqCnKaY.png
    tempImageqCnKaY.png
    2 MB · Views: 138
I have had my bonsai tree since December last year and in the last few months it has gotten severely try and lost all its lush green leaves. Ive been left with crispy leaveS that are faded yellow and green.

I have watered my bonsai sufficiently but this has not helped.
I also am unsure of the best spot for my bonsai, as any sunlight seems to make it dry out.

I would love to know how I can properly care for it and re generate it.

This tree is probably dead. My guess is you probably overwatered it and kept it indoors. The symptoms of both are the same, as the lack, or surplus, of water kills the roots, which than can't supply the leaves/needles with moisture and nutrients. The soil in the pot hasn't helped. It's muddy and probably holds onto a lot of water, further compromising roots. Under those over or under watered conditions, leaves shrivel because they dry out (no matter how much you water it).

The vast majority of the tree/bush species used for bonsai just can't handle being kept inside. Can't really tell what species this is, but bottom line-- there are no "indoor" bonsai that bonsai sellers sometimes push. There are only a few plant species that can tolerate the conditions. Ficus is the champ and even then it can decline and die if watered improperly. direct sunlight and humidity--both of which are in small supply inside. Even next to a window, sunlight is less than half of what it is outdoors. Indoor humidity levels are in line with most deserts.

If I were you, I'd place the tree outside (if you have a place outdoors), keep the soil MOIST (not soggy or dry) in a shaded spot. Wait a month to see if the plant resprouts. I wouldn't put money on it though. If you don't have an outdoor space, get a ficus bonsai and a good supplemental lighting system.

Thats very helpful thank you!
I unfortunately do not have any proper outdoor space. However I do have a window ledge I can put the bonsai on.

I will try this and keep the soil moist and hope for recovery!

Moist is okay for some species, others require almost wet, while some need to be almost completely dry before watering. Plant species, lighting, climate, water, soil/substrate type, etc. are just a few variables that play a part in the health of a bonsai. There is A LOT to learn about bonsai, and you've found a great community for just that. You'll find the right answers faster and better if you enter your general location in your profile, as it's easier to customize advice accordingly.
Welcome to the BNut house!

Anybody have an idea of what this plant is?

Looks like a pomegranate.
Pretty common in big nurseries with a “bonsai” section.
That sounds about right. Its too bad people post questions like this without giving you a clue where they live. I know it would not be a common plant in my area though I do have a few.

Im based in London, UK.
Im afraid I do not know the spieces.. I have put it outside on a windowsill but still not much change..

Would anyone suggest trimming the dried leaves off?

Thanks for all your responses :)

Podocarpus was my guess as well.
Agree with others that if you have no outdoor areas for trees, ficus with supplemental lights is your best option for bonsai

I’ve had some olives in pretty bad shape that bounced back with proper care. Try scraping the bark with your fingernail. If it’s still green, there is hope.

Back
Top Bottom