• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I voted for 100-150 :)

But here's the key - you can't/don't spend the same amount per tree. So for example if you have 150 trees:

10 that are in quality pots - maintenance
20 that are in ok pots - final development
40 that are in grow pots / flats - beginning development
80 that are in the ground / development for pre-bonsai only

So I guess 30 trees that you would want to show someone, and 120 trees behind the garage :)

Some of the stages of development take a lot more time (per tree) than maintenance (depending on species). And a tree in the ground might need attention only once or twice per year.

What you DON'T want is to have all trees at the same stage of development at the same time. Not only is it boring, but it can take the joy out of the hobby if (for example) you find yourself doing nothing but needle plucking black pines for three weeks every Fall.

The key is to not waste your time on "crap" and to fix problems early. Nothing worse than growing out a tree for 10 years just to find that some structural issue had now gotten 10 years worse.

Last edited:

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I have about a dozen trees I hope to create Bonsai with in the future. While slow at times, I am still new and try to focus on quality and horticulture. That keeps me busy enough with fertilizer, fungicides, soils, and insecticides. I voted for less than 50 as a hobby.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Walter Pall has help...
Based on what you can see on his social media posts he has a lot of help but he works on his trees alone most of the time.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Based on what you can see on his social media posts he has a lot of help but he works on his trees alone most of the time.

Hi all,
Firstly many thanks for all your replies. A bit overwhelmed by the number of posts to come home to after work.
I would like to reply to each of you in time with my thinking ( beginner - not really bonsai just growing for later etc). So my poll was possibly worded wrong and I might have to do another lol.

Secondly please respect each other here as I don't think we need to fight over who's opinion is BETTER etc. Macho BS doesn't win many awards in my world.

Lastly, as I am a bit tired I won't write too much more apart from 'yes my enthusiasm has "kind of got away on me" and I need to find some balance.
I have 2 big kids - 1 boy left home 19yr old and other 14 yr old going on 25. She makes life very enjoyable. So, yes my wife and I spend lots of time together and time doing our own hobbies etc. BUT I hear all of you, obviously written your own way, but common theme is to be ruthless, stop buying plants for the sake of 'need more', stop endless propagating, and others I can't think of.
I am very early on my venture- learning what media is available here and designing different mixes etc. I don't have any trees in Bonsai pots so yes they don't require as much attention. That's why my poll was probably worded wrong - maybe should have been how many trees to grow from which to cull from. Which Brian addressed I think.
Thank you and please play nicely on my thread or your luck might run out !!
Charles.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i used to have around 30 little trees on my balcony and as i began to hone my eye, started to realize some will never be really high quality bonsai, so started growing on in the ground. now the trees on my balcony hover around 25 trees what i see good futures in. but im still upgrading here n there, if good quality material becomes available at a good price, but this is slowing down now and very content with my collection. i call it recycling my collection. in my case, the number of trees i have also comes down to space. i probably have another 25 or more being grown on in the ground and some have great potential but are longer term projects.

Last edited:

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
pretty blanket statement there, a lot of my tree's take a few days to wire alone, Have you seen Walter pauls personal garden? Not trying to start something but my main passion is bonsai and I know a lot of other people are too.
I consider Pall a professional, not a hobbyist.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess this is a situation where the "heavy lifting" is done by helpers and SOME of the refinement is done by Herr Pall. I would also guess that he doesn't aim to have hundreds of trees in "show shape" all the time - a mistake that many who haven't been doing this for a long time aim to do. I'd bet he works four, five or six trees (possibly more) harder than the rest if he's showing them etc.
Hi all,
Firstly many thanks for all your replies. A bit overwhelmed by the number of posts to come home to after work.
I would like to reply to each of you in time with my thinking ( beginner - not really bonsai just growing for later etc). So my poll was possibly worded wrong and I might have to do another lol.

Secondly please respect each other here as I don't think we need to fight over who's opinion is BETTER etc. Macho BS doesn't win many awards in my world.

Lastly, as I am a bit tired I won't write too much more apart from 'yes my enthusiasm has "kind of got away on me" and I need to find some balance.
I have 2 big kids - 1 boy left home 19yr old and other 14 yr old going on 25. She makes life very enjoyable. So, yes my wife and I spend lots of time together and time doing our own hobbies etc. BUT I hear all of you, obviously written your own way, but common theme is to be ruthless, stop buying plants for the sake of 'need more', stop endless propagating, and others I can't think of.
I am very early on my venture- learning what media is available here and designing different mixes etc. I don't have any trees in Bonsai pots so yes they don't require as much attention. That's why my poll was probably worded wrong - maybe should have been how many trees to grow from which to cull from. Which Brian addressed I think.
Thank you and please play nicely on my thread or your luck might run out !!
Charles.
Your poll wasn't worded wrong. Not a crime to ask and its something everyone getting into bonsai asks themselves and others at some point. The point of getting the best stock you can afford and not buying 10 $5 trees, but a single $50 tree (that's worth the $$ --but that's another story) has been one that I took to heart over 20 years ago. I also don't have a lot of room in my tiny townhouse backyard, so whatever I get has to be worth the time and trouble...

In the 20 + years I've been doing bonsai, I've also raised a kid who is now in college and had three or four bull terriers--all of which have taken a lot more of my time than bonsai. It might go without mentioning, but I'll mention it anyway--I have a VERY patient spouse who has put up with a lot of crap (sometimes literal crap) from all of the above-also piles of gritty dirt in the basement carpet...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The actual number is dependent upon you. The right number is that which you can take care of without having to stress yourself out about their care and maintenance. If bonsai becomes a drudge you will neglect trees, you will overwhelm yourself and the good stuff will suffer.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a VERY patient spouse who has put up with a lot of crap (sometimes literal crap) from all of the above-also piles of gritty dirt in the basement carpet...
Yes! Makes all the difference in the world.
Without the support of my indulgent wife who cedes every inch of outdoor space, and tolerates my late night tree work on the kitchen table my collocation would not be possible. I would probably have one or two "pretty" trees that live on that shelf by the window.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

HiChicago1980,
Take your beef somewhere else please. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on Walter Pall or anyone else for that matter.
My thread is designed to help me understand what is life like with lots of little trees that I may end spending lots of time with. Sorry wifey.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HiChicago1980,
Take your beef somewhere else please.

Does Chiraq have such the bad reputation that we are thought to have beef when there is none?:p

I am only 5/6 days into vegan so I remember what beef is!:p

Charles....
Your "welcome to crazy" is to prepare you for actual beef!

But also because sometimes folks don't read thoroughly and then say some crazy shit!:eek:
Like you done here!:p

This...

Is part of a conversation directly regarding your topic.

As.

A professional with help can keep more trees than a hobbyist...(well! That's an opinion yes?)

Anyway!
I know you'll realize...no worries!

I still gotta say....Hector, or @chicago1980 is a great fucking guy! I met him, with few words he's helped me a lot, and if I'm not mistaken....
He's the same Hector that drove @MACH5 tree part way across country?

Good feller!

No worries mate!

The more facets to Crazy the better!

When @M. Frary comes around....
(He been struck by lightning you know!:p)

You'll see it's mad love here!

The only reason we ever fight is because we are all exactly the fucking same!

Sorce

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Does Chiraq have such the bad reputation that we are thought to have beef when there is none?:p

I am only 5/6 days into vegan so I remember what beef is!:p

Charles....
Your "welcome to crazy" is to prepare you for actual beef!

But also because sometimes folks don't read thoroughly and then say some crazy shit!:eek:
Like you done here!:p

This...

Is part of a conversation directly regarding your topic.

As.

A professional with help can keep more trees than a hobbyist...(well! That's an opinion yes?)

Anyway!
I know you'll realize...no worries!

I still gotta say....Hector, or @chicago1980 is a great fucking guy! I met him, with few words he's helped me a lot, and if I'm not mistaken....
He's the same Hector that drove @MACH5 tree part way across country?

Good feller!

No worries mate!

The more facets to Crazy the better!

When @M. Frary comes around....
(He been struck by lightning you know!:p)

You'll see it's mad love here!

The only reason we ever fight is because we are all exactly the fucking same!

Sorce

Hi Sorce,
Um, you might have cemented the idea that everything goes with this site.
Especially the crazy.
Yep, waiting for Dinosaur- zilla (Mr.Frary) to unthaw, and as I only experience one lightening storm every 5-7 years I might be waiting awhile.

Why would people debate their personal support of a certain professional bonsaiist?
Why the point?
Why would I bother asking someone to keep their 'beef' out of this thread?, if it wasn't for the fact that I would like to learn more about the passion I have for trees and not for Fucking PERSONALITIES.
Rant over, I have arrived at CRAZY too.

Lol, if you hadn't figured, I prefer to not debate persons in favour of facts which are either solid knowledge or someone's naivity that needs corrected.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
prefer to not debate persons

But that is where it was valid.

Whether said person was a hobbyist or a proffesional...

As it matters directly to the poll!

Are we on the same page?
:p

Sorce

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
But that is where it was valid.

Whether said person was a hobbyist or a proffesional...

As it matters directly to the poll!

Are we on the same page?
:p

Sorce

I think the page has a few blurred lines :)
Yep, still confused.
I didn't set up the poll to find out how brilliant "Walter or Ryan" is?
I wanted to know what I could be expecting to achieve will working a 40 hour week.

I ran my own Cut flower business for a long while ( exporting to your country mainly), but it eventually failed because I have no business sense. I have plant sense but that is not enough. I would like to create my own bonsai nursery here but start it in 5-10 years, but I wonder if I should.

Anyway, as we are all professional hobbyists ( amazing at everything) I think this thread has its answers.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
still confused

All I'm saying is the context surrounding this....

Has everything to do with with this post, poll, and your entire future!

Seeing as how...
I would like to create my own bonsai nursery here but start it in 5-10 years,

Which has you possibly changing from Hobbyist to Professional....

Makes it even MORE relevant!

Not beef!:p

Don't let Crazy go stirring your poop in the other direction before it hits your backward loo flush!o_O:p

Oh....btw....
I think starting a nursery is an excellent idea.

Spring there yes?

All you have to do is get all those roots going in the right direction...
Start a good nebari.

What is a good nebari?

You gotta figure that out so you know what you can get rid of ! I'm guessing 80%.

Dig down a little...and if they don't have a good spread...
Just start layers on them straight away....
At angles!

Here's my process....
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/radialayer™-a-season-saver.17046/
You see...
I've found even bonsai people are shooting themselves in the foot.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You see...
I've found even bonsai people are shooting themselves in the foot.

This is a direct reference of what we were talking about before...
The subtle differences in nursery vs. Bonsai practices...

You guys'l Probly slice a cut in one side....jam a toothpick in there....maybe plant it deeper?
One sided ass roots!

We,....at least will go all the way around....
Get a good spread....

But to what use if it's a tangled mess of shit in your God Damn "new Zealand sphagnum"!:p

There is always a better way....

Which we arrive upon....

By talking to ourselves!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The point of getting the best stock you can afford and not buying 10 $5 trees, but a single $50 tree
Pay extra attention to this and save your self some years.

25 or so keep my busy with another 10 or 15 growing in the ground. Most people spend a few years in the beginning realizing that most of the material they have is not worth the daily up keep. Yet beginners will still learn alot from those first sticks in pots, I did. Not every tree is a good candidate, be picky, really picky.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
New Zealand has got to be a wide open market. You have a variety of climates in my understanding from semi tropical to mountains with snow and all that stuff. I know there are some varieties of conifers that grow there and it is possible to import some trees suited to bonsai. I don't get the impression that there are many bonsai business there so you may as well be the big dog on the block if you understand what you are doing and learn to do it if not well but competently. But you have to understand: The people that grow bonsai and are successful at it are passionate about what they do and the way they do it. This often leads to a confrontational personality, akin to discussing children.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
HiChicago1980,
Take your beef somewhere else please. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on Walter Pall or anyone else for that matter.
My thread is designed to help me understand what is life like with lots of little trees that I may end spending lots of time with. Sorry wifey.
Charles

Maybe it's me, but I think you are misunderstanding things. The point of mentioning Walter Pall being a pro was that it is his full time job, he can manage more trees and has people who help him. The average hobbyist does not do this full time and does not have helpers in the garden. As a result the hobbyist cannot manage the same amount of high quality trees as Walter Palls garden does. Which is why many have said they top out around 25 trees.

I don't see any beef in this thread.

Top Bottom