My 2018 batch of soil for collected trees arrived

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For all the haters out there ... ;)

IMG_20171025_141416[8005].jpg

Just received 100L or 26,4 gallons of cat litter (baked Danish clay). Gonna use it as main soil for some trees I'm going to collect next year. It's a replacement for akadama which costs about 3 times as much. I'm probably going to mix it with some lava and zeolyt.

Other than that, I've got nothing :)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I use similar stuff to that but the sanicat pink brand. Can't seem to find any locally in Spain but ordering from Amazon and it will be here in a few days and still a third of the price of akadama.
It's good stuff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wish we had similar cat litter available in the states, but all of ours turns to mush. Which gets me to thinking; (for U.S.) Do you think it would be more economical to use oil dry instead of buying kitty litter?

Also, wouldn't this be closer to the pumice component of "traditional" bonsai soil?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wish we had similar cat litter available in the states, but all of ours turns to mush. Which gets me to thinking; (for U.S.) Do you think it would be more economical to use oil dry instead of buying kitty litter?

Also, wouldn't this be closer to the pumice component of "traditional" bonsai soil?
Floor Dry keeps coming up when I search the interwebs for alternative soils, but that's not available here, or better, I haven't found it yet.

And you might be right about the pumice part...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I believe one of those european cat litters are maxe of diatomaceous earth.
Floor dry from Napa part no.8822 is the same.
I wouldn't put anything in my substrate that breaks down.

Top Bottom