Mugo progression

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice work! I don't understand why they graft Mugos in Europe where they grow wild? Must be some sort of named cultivar. I like it very much.

Just a word of warning: Mugos tend to be architecturally isolated in that a branch, especially a large one like on your tree, can cause the tree to die all the way to the ground as the roots associated with that branch also die. Being that this is a grafted tree that might change here.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't understand why they graft Mugos in Europe where they grow wild? Must be some sort of named cultivar.
Right, sir, cultivars, plain species and subspecies can be found at garden centres.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice work, I like first pictures as for a front.

Just a shy note: the branches higher in crown can be bent more towards the viewer, it would improve 3D feeling and there's is enough of trunk to look at in lower 2/3 of the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a word of warning: Mugos tend to be architecturally isolated in that a branch, especially a large one like on your tree, can cause the tree to die all the way to the ground as the roots associated with that branch also die. Being that this is a grafted tree that might change here.
Are you saying the corresponding roots of a mugo pine has the potential to die if the foliage is removed? Mug pines do not readily cube out? So the portion of this tree that has been dead wooded, has the potential for the xylem / phloem system to to die through to the roots as well?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Are you saying the corresponding roots of a mugo pine has the potential to die if the foliage is removed? Mug pines do not readily cube out? So the portion of this tree that has been dead wooded, has the potential for the xylem / phloem system to to die through to the roots as well?
Yes; that doesn't mean necessarily that it will, but I have seen it happen more than once. I'm not sure I understand your terminology "Cube out"?? I just assume it means the same thing?

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice work, I like first pictures as for a front.

Just a shy note: the branches higher in crown can be bent more towards the viewer, it would improve 3D feeling and there's is enough of trunk to look at in lower 2/3 of the tree.
Thanks! First picture will be the front. Maybe I will bend the top branches a bit more. This could open up the crown and show a bit more of the deadwood feature in the back.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Your design work is really nice, better than a lot more experienced people I have seen. However; you need to find a teacher who knows how to use wire and how to apply it correctly. From what I see, your wiring skills are getting in the way of some really remarkable results on your part. I am not trying to be critical just to demean what you have accomplished because what your have accomplished is beautiful. I mean to point out that you are looking at the process of wiring in less than as important as you should. When you get to the point your wiring is as beautiful as your designs your designs will pop. If you would get your wiring skills on the same level as your artistic ability you would be producing world class bonsai. You wont learn this without consciously making the effort to locate a teaching source.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
@Vance Wood Thanks for the advice and kind words, I really appreciate it, especially coming from you.
I have been taking lessons for a month now, once a week. There are 5 students working there at a time. I get personal advice, but I think it's difficult for the teacher to 'divide his attention'. He gave me some useful (albeit basic) tips about wiring, but it's still a bit sloppy. A lot of crossing wires, loose bends, etc... Maybe I could be a bit more adamant about the advice I'm getting, or get some one-on-one lessons to develop my wiring-skills.
Thanks again for advice!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood Thanks for the advice and kind words, I really appreciate it, especially coming from you.
I have been taking lessons for a month now, once a week. There are 5 students working there at a time. I get personal advice, but I think it's difficult for the teacher to 'divide his attention'. He gave me some useful (albeit basic) tips about wiring, but it's still a bit sloppy. A lot of crossing wires, loose bends, etc... Maybe I could be a bit more adamant about the advice I'm getting, or get some one-on-one lessons to develop my wiring-skills.
Thanks again for advice!
There is a site on the NET that offers some classes about wiring. The first series used to be free. Craftsy I think is the name of the site. You will learn a lot.

I don't mean to be unduly critical of your teacher, but if the teacher does not take wiring seriously enough to recognize talent sitting in front of him and offer some additional help I wonder just how much he knows. If you learn some of the basic skills you could do 100% better than you have shown here, and he should be forcing you to learn them. It is amazing that you have gotten the kind of results you have with the wiring skills you have exhibited.

I personally know someone who teaches classes in bonsai that shouldn't be doing so. Great guy and I love him as a friend but he has not taken the time to hone his own skills enough to be qualified to teach bonsai to anyone serious to learn. His wiring looks a lot like what you are doing.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
There is a site on the NET that offers some classes about wiring. The first series used to be free. Craftsy I think is the name of the site. You will learn a lot.

I don't mean to be unduly critical of your teacher, but if the teacher does not take wiring seriously enough to recognize talent sitting in front of him and offer some additional help I wonder just how much he knows. If you learn some of the basic skills you could do 100% better than you have shown here, and he should be forcing you to learn them. It is amazing that you have gotten the kind of results you have with the wiring skills you have exhibited.

I personally know someone who teaches classes in bonsai that shouldn't be doing so. Great guy and I love him as a friend but he has not taken the time to hone his own skills enough to be qualified to teach bonsai to anyone serious to learn. His wiring looks a lot like what you are doing.

I've just watched all the lessons on craftsy. Very useful! I just practiced it on some of my other trees, keeping in mind the 'slingshot' technique that is used in the videos. I realize that I haven't used it to its full extent on this tree. The larger branches are all wired individually. I did use the technique on the alot of secondary branches, but when I ran into 'irregular branching', I just improvised. I need to think and plan a bit more before I start wiring! But the videos already helped alot :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
recognize talent sitting in front of him and offer some additional help

Amen to that!

Brotank307...

You probably love this tree as much as I do....

You figure that bit of easier, neater wiring, and you will love it and every other way more!

Not cause it looks any prettier....
But Cuz it was Mad easier!

You deserve that enjoyment.

Very well done!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work! I don't understand why they graft Mugos in Europe where they grow wild? Must be some sort of named cultivar. I like it very much.

Did you tell me that this Mugo I got from you is where you learned this?
Half of the tree died?20170916_154028.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, that's the one and the same. When it did that I started looking for answers short of the standard you can't make a bonsai out of a Mugo.
Looks like you found those answers.
That's when you learned to leave a stub too I gather.

Top Bottom