Mugo borer?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_7681.JPG IMG_7682.JPG I was watering my trees and I noticed an unusual bark flaking of a mugo I've been working on for the past 3 years.

I gently lifted the flaking bark and it feel off with a couple more pieces.

I noticed some damage. I don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated

The thickness of the trunk at that part is about 1.5-2".

Thank you for your help.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought so too, but that wound wasn't exposed. It was bulging. I pretty much just touched the bark and it fell off and exposed what you see in the photo. And I noticed a dark like soft sawdust? In there as well. Every time g. Damn squirrels attack my trees, esp. apples they just chew through the bark. This looks different than the usual squirrel attacks I'm accustomed to.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a Lodgepole Pine killed by pine beetle borers. You can see the borer tunneling and sawdust where the bark was pulled away.IMG_1587.JPG One of my collected Lodgepoles showing telltale ign of a beetle attack. The tree oozes sap from the beetle hole in an attempt to push the beetle and its eggs out. IMG_1584.JPG

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a Lodgepole Pine killed by pine beetle borers. You can see the borer tunneling and sawdust where the bark was pulled away.View attachment 150241 One of my collected Lodgepoles showing telltale ign of a beetle attack. The tree oozes sap from the beetle hole in an attempt to push the beetle and its eggs out. View attachment 150240

Ugh. I feared as much. :(. So am I fackucked or is there something that can be done/applied? I haven't noticed any full on bores (holes) I also don't want to remove any more of the nice flakey bark if I don't have to. It's on the main trunk too so it's not as if I could cut it off.... sigh.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
2 options I'm aware of. Remove loose bark (if it's well attached, odds are there are no borers there yet). You may find the borer(s) this way and remove them. 2nd, the only insecticide I've heard is effective for borer control is Safari. It may not be available in Canada. If applied properly, it can help prevent reinfestation. I don't think it will do much for borers already established. Avoid spraying or allowing it to drift on flowering plants as it kills beneficial pollinators.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can 2nd having good results with Sevin. If that brand isn't available to you the active ingredient is Carbaryl (1-naphthyl methylcarbamate)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think a borer discovered my scots pine this week, guess I'll keep an eye on this thread and we'll kill some borers togther haha.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As far as natural controls, a friend jokingly suggested woodpecker and hungry possum. I don't think I would recomend these.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We used a pesticide called Sevin at the nursery I used to work at for borers.

Sadly the only chemicals available in Canada are garden variety insecticides (non systemic), soap, water, and I actually think even neem is banned now.

I was able to get some bayer 3 in 1 systemic. I know a guy who knows a guy, who's a guy and always was a guy, so I'm going to tent up this giant mugo which I'm reducing with a vapor barrier and spray the shiet out of it with the only systemic I was able to procur. I'll ask my peeps for some sevin. I know a couple other guys who know guys, and who knows.

In the meantime I stripped about 18" of bark off the tree, found what I think is the culprit. I've attached photos of the overall damage and a dead bug that was like please don't stab me, please. Well it's dead. I hope the mugo just got character if anything. It's planned for another 3 years of reduction. I hope it makes it.

IMG_7726.JPG IMG_7730.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sadly the only chemicals available in Canada are garden variety insecticides (non systemic), soap, water, and I actually think even neem is banned now.

I was able to get some bayer 3 in 1 systemic. I know a guy who knows a guy, who's a guy and always was a guy, so I'm going to tent up this giant mugo which I'm reducing with a vapor barrier and spray the shiet out of it with the only systemic I was able to procur. I'll ask my peeps for some sevin. I know a couple other guys who know guys, and who knows.

In the meantime I stripped about 18" of bark off the tree, found what I think is the culprit. I've attached photos of the overall damage and a dead bug that was like please don't stab me, please. Well it's dead. I hope the mugo just got character if anything. It's planned for another 3 years of reduction. I hope it makes it.

View attachment 150442 View attachment 150443

Hey, I can buy stuff like Sevin here in BC. I never have but i see it on shelves. Our entire town is designated pesticide free by municipal bylaws. The stores here still carry the stuff though, locked up and they will let you have it after a few questions.

too bad the bugger got into your tree.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

View attachment 150442 View attachment 150443
Look on the bright side. The borer forced you to take a bold step and create a cool shari!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
haha that borer looks like a pokemon. A dead one.

Top Bottom