Much needed advice on my little group of blue spruce

visualist74

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry...let me clarify on the soil...would that just be a mix of 1/1 pumis-organic?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would put them in the ground with the roots spread out comfortably. The first order of business is survival. If that is attained, then you go for potting & styling after they are obviously healthy.

visualist74

Seedling
Reaction score
I would put them in the ground with the roots spread out comfortably. The first order of business is survival. If that is attained, then you go for potting & styling after they are obviously healthy.

Ok. I got 9 in the ground! 👍🤞🏻
Thanks again!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok. I got 9 in the ground! 👍🤞🏻
Thanks again!
what soil amendment did you use, how much direct sun on them, do you have a watering regime in place if it has not rained? Photos?

im curious what made the decision to not put in container of some sort?

visualist74

Seedling
Reaction score
what soil amendment did you use, how much direct sun on them, do you have a watering regime in place if it has not rained? Photos?

im curious what made the decision to not put in container of some sort?

Jim,

apologies. I I used the term ‘ground‘...referring to just getting them planted in ‘something’ no longer bare rooted.

I placed them in a plastic/pretty well drained Approx. dim. 20”x 8”x 6” tray. I wanted something clear so I could watch water saturation/drainage from top to bottom. In that regard I think I was smart... but with as much organic as I ended up using...the rigidity is in question. So maybe not so smart after all! 😀

Anyway, with all the feedback I got I’m going to walk the line with sunlight...leaving them in morning sun so they get an hour or 2 early but shade throughout the hotter temps. of the day. If they last, will move in Mid September/October to a location with longer duration of light?

I put down a 2-3” base of pumis/volcanic. I would have put down more but the material was a bit larger than I thought so I needed to use a bit more organic just to keep them upright.

I will take a picture in the morning with an update on about how much water I’m using. Today was a pretty decent amount just to get started. Lightly misted the foliage later in the day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I I used the term ‘ground‘...referring to just getting them planted

That's good cuz grounding Spruce is a terrible ideas IMO.

When you work these you have to sing.....

Cuz she's my little Blue Spruce...

Sorce

visualist74

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok.

I think we can safely end this thread today. There is nothing I ‘planted’ that has and/or will make it. I was going to take a picture but it’s just too sad to even look at it again...let alone share it with the world! 😀

On the bright side it did give me a chance to work with and get slightly acclimated to the fragility of bare roots..who could pass on that opportunity when there is zero to none options for success..how could I pass up an opportunity like that!

again, I so appreciate everyone’s insight and quick response. Most sites take days some times to get any feedback. It’s great knowing how active and generous this one is.

happy weekend to all!

ted-

Top Bottom