Moving Bonsai

PapaRoots

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Eighteen years ago (after Bush’s reelection) I moved to Mexico and gave my bonsai collection to my son. Now, my son is moving and returned some of these trees to me. I moved them from Portland OR to Vista CA (via car) a few days ago. The inspection station on I5 wasn't staffed, fortunately.
My son hasn’t done much with them over the years--basically just kept them from dying. As the pictures show, neglect of everything but water doesn’t seem to have hurt them much. I don’t think he even fertilized them. These plants are now 20-30 years old!
I’m not going to do much too them for a few weeks, just let them acclimatize.
Can you help with some concerns? My moving them from a wet damp climate to dry sunny California has me worried. Just keep them moist?
They DO need root pruning and/or repotting. Also trimming and shaping--it should be fun. Wait until the SoCal “winter?”

Attachments

• Red Maple.jpeg
    Red Maple.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Birds nest spruce.jpeg
    Birds nest spruce.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Juniper.jpeg
    Juniper.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Two-Needle Pine-1.jpeg
    Two-Needle Pine-1.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Two-Needle Pine.jpeg
    Two-Needle Pine.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 42

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eighteen years ago (after Bush’s reelection) I moved to Mexico and gave my bonsai collection to my son. Now, my son is moving and returned some of these trees to me. I moved them from Portland OR to Vista CA (via car) a few days ago. The inspection station on I5 wasn't staffed, fortunately.
My son hasn’t done much with them over the years--basically just kept them from dying. As the pictures show, neglect of everything but water doesn’t seem to have hurt them much. I don’t think he even fertilized them. These plants are now 20-30 years old!
I’m not going to do much too them for a few weeks, just let them acclimatize.
Can you help with some concerns? My moving them from a wet damp climate to dry sunny California has me worried. Just keep them moist?
They DO need root pruning and/or repotting. Also trimming and shaping--it should be fun. Wait until the SoCal “winter?”
Definitely wait until Jan/Feb to repot. I'd try to arrange for morning sun, afternoon shade if possible, and sheltered from the wind. Your main concern right now is getting them through their first Santa Anna wind season.

Top Bottom