Mountain mahogany?

Come on, stop teasing. Show us the trees, whip 'em out!

:), sorry no help from me on your original query.

Didnt even know the species tbh
Quick search on google didnt realy get any good results
Got a pic of what you picked up ?

Didnt even know the species tbh
You are not serious! I don't believe you don't know this prized beautiful and durable lumber!
I have nice mahogany floors in my house!
I was going to ask if this is the same tree to the well known Mahogany tree cultivated for its important lumber....

You are not serious! I don't believe you don't know this prized beautiful and durable lumber!
I was going to ask if this is the same tree to the well known Mahogany tree cultivated for its important lumber....

Nope not kidding i know mahoni wood but not mahogany lol

This tree (Cercocarpus) is in no way related to the tropical mahogany.
It is found occasionally in eastern Oregon and surrounding states. The wood is extremely hard and dense. Older specimens have great trunk shapes and interesting bark. I am growing them in my yard but it will take decades to get them into a decent bonsai.

I have nice mahogany floors in my house!

Probably not :)

Both Cuban and Honduran Mahogany is on the CITES II list as an endangered species. Cuba banned all exportation of Swietenia mahogani (true mahogany) in 1946. Most people consider the closely related Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) as the real thing since it is the only mahogany that is commercially available (albeit in extremely limited quantities and only from registered, renewable sources).

Any other wood in the world with a "mahogany" name - ie African Mahogany, Phillipine Mahogany, etc, isn't even in the same genus. Like the term "IPA" in beer, pretty much every lumber supplier in the 3rd world figured out that if you slap the name "mahogany" on your lumber, it will sell better, regardless of what it actually is.

For what it's worth, Mountain Mahogany has extremely dense, hard wood. It is more than twice as dense as Cuban Mahogany, and has a specific gravity greater than 1.0 (ie it sinks in water). It is one of the hardest woods in North America, I think beaten only by Desert Ironwood.

Last edited:
... ...Any other wood in the world with a "mahogany" name - ie African Mahogany, Phillipine Mahogany, etc, isn't even in the same genus... ...
It's African Mahogany which I had in mind (which I know)
Thank you for the clarification.

They have these at the UCR botanical Gardens. I don't see why they couldn't be used for bonsai. Don't know too much about them though.

It's African Mahogany which I had in mind (which I know)
Thank you for the clarification.

African Mahogany: Comprised of a handful of species from the Khaya genus, all of which are native to Africa. Sometimes lacks the deeper reddish brown color and durability that is common for true mahogany in the Swietenia genus.

By the way, not knocking this wood in the slightest. I built a rocking chair for my father out of Sapele (Entandrophragma cylindricum) which is in the same family. I thought the grain and color was amazing.

In case you ever wanted to know anything about wood: The Wood Database. I use it a lot as a woodworker.

Mountain mahogany is in ample supply around the foothills a lower portions of the mountains here in Utah. However, almost all I've seen look uncollectable. They're in difficult to dig soil in areas that frequently don't get rain. So the roots are going to run far and wide.

I'll check with a friend that does a lot of local collecting and see if he's successfully dug any.

From the times I've looked closely at them, the branches seem brittle so wiring before they're lignified is probably going to be important.

Back
Top Bottom