Moss or Mold?

Delius

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi,

I’ve had a ficus retusa for about a year, and in order to try to induce it to grow aerial roots I’ve put it in a little greenhouse box.

I’ve noticed an increase in green moss or mold on the stems, and I’m not sure whether I should do anything about it. I’ve attached some pictures in which you should be able to see it.

I get that it’s likely related to it being in a humid environment with limited airflows, but I was wondering whether it is harmful to it.

Any advice is welcome!

(I’m a novice so if this is a stupid question feel free to tell me so)

Max

IMG_6075.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6078.jpeg
    IMG_6078.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6077.jpeg
    IMG_6077.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6076.jpeg
    IMG_6076.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
You can get rid of that by taking a soft paintbrush (I like the ones that are sold for watercolor painting) and brushing a bit of white vinegar onto the bark where the green stuff is. Protect the soil when you do this, as you don’t want the vinegar dripping onto your soil.

You can get rid of that by taking a soft paintbrush (I like the ones that are sold for watercolor painting) and brushing a bit of white vinegar onto the bark where the green stuff is. Protect the soil when you do this, as you don’t want the vinegar dripping onto your soil.
Cheers, will try it out

It's not moss or mold. It's algae and a sign things are likely too wet (not a good thing really).
Yeah I suspected it was because of that, I’ve tried to keep the humidity high to induce the growth of aerial roots. I’ve overdone it a bit I guess.

Back
Top Bottom