Moss from the roof!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I had been wanting to go collect moss for awhile now since I decided to show a few trees at the state fair.
I figured some moss dressings might be nice.

A big rain storm today alerted me that my gutters were clogged. I got on the roof and Shazam! All the moss I could want. IMG_9508.jpegIMG_9509.jpegThere was a nice variety of mosses. Both tight button mounding mosses and courser flat moss.
Just saying’ check your asphalt roofs for moos at home!
IMG_9510.jpeg10-15 minutes of collecting. 😄
Dressed up my dwarf thuja. IMG_9512.jpegThen added some to my Korean boxwood. IMG_9514.jpegAlso put some on the blue rug IMG_9515.jpegThe rest went on some other plants to just use it up.
Nice to know it’s up there. 🤣

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've heard (and observed) that this variety of long grained moss is rather challenging to keep moist and thriving on a trees surface, given the different watering needs between the moss and the tree.

I've been successful with it on my shallowly planted maples, but none of the conifers.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've heard (and observed) that this variety of long grained moss is rather challenging to keep moist and thriving on a trees surface, given the different watering needs between the moss and the tree.

I've been successful with it on my shallowly planted maples, but none of the conifers.
Yeah, its not great for soil cover in a bonsai pot, But looks like great airlayering moss. Like sphagnum moss.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Now you have to put all your mossed trees on the roof because thats where it thrive 😂 😂 😂. I never had any luck with moss, because most my trees are in full sun and moss hates that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had been wanting to go collect moss for awhile now since I decided to show a few trees at the state fair.
I figured some moss dressings might be nice.

A big rain storm today alerted me that my gutters were clogged. I got on the roof and Shazam! All the moss I could want. View attachment 501689View attachment 501690There was a nice variety of mosses. Both tight button mounding mosses and courser flat moss.
Just saying’ check your asphalt roofs for moos at home!
View attachment 50169510-15 minutes of collecting. 😄
Dressed up my dwarf thuja. View attachment 501691Then added some to my Korean boxwood. View attachment 501692Also put some on the blue rug View attachment 501693The rest went on some other plants to just use it up.
Nice to know it’s up there. 🤣
Must have been easy to collect off the shingles. I take a metal spoon out to the backyard and collect under the trees if I need some. :)

Top Bottom