morb's jbp seed contest

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
got my seeds on friday. i have been reading and trying to learn as much as i can from this site. it's amazing how much information is here, this site is probably the best resource for anything bonsai on the internet.
jbp seeds.jpg

Attachments

• jbp seeds.jpg
    jbp seeds.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
  • jbp seeds.jpg
    jbp seeds.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
well after a bunch of reading and thinking, i'm going to wait till the end of january to start this off and try to get it right.
Happy New Year everyone!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's going to be interesting... I will be looking to see your results. JBP is more of a warmer weather pine (versus JWP which definitely is NOT). JBP can take the cold with protection - I kept them in Chicago no problem. But they needed to be in a shelter during the winter (unheated garage, etc)

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting... I will be looking to see your results. JBP is more of a warmer weather pine (versus JWP which definitely is NOT). JBP can take the cold with protection - I kept them in Chicago no problem. But they needed to be in a shelter during the winter (unheated garage, etc)

i hope i have results to post lol. i have been keeping track of the temps in my attic, it's more like a second story i guess. today the outside temp was -20 c but the attic was 2 c so i'm thinking this should be good...unless 2 c is too warm?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i hope i have results to post lol. i have been keeping track of the temps in my attic, it's more like a second story i guess. today the outside temp was -20 c but the attic was 2 c so i'm thinking this should be good...unless 2 c is too warm?

Try to keep them at 40F or 4C. It is better that they stay a little on the warm side than freeze. They CAN'T freeze - that is the big concern.

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
Try to keep them at 40F or 4C. It is better that they stay a little on the warm side than freeze. They CAN'T freeze - that is the big concern.

how about a box with heat tape wrapped around the inside? it would keep the temp from getting below 0 c

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
the temp is finally starting to climb here. i have 10 seeds from each supplier soaking right now, i didn't want to throw all my eggs in one basket incase things go wrong. i'll let them soak 24 hrs then put them in the fridge for a couple weeks

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
got the seeds in the fridge. 5 floaters from Seeds and More, 3 floaters from Bonsai Tool and Supply

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
planted 20 jbp seeds today plus 15 Chinese elm seeds

morb

Sapling
Reaction score
nothing to report yet other than one of the chinese elms i planted broke ground the other day. hope i get more than that

Top Bottom