Micron yaupon holly

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up a micron yaupon holly yesterday and it is amazingly compact! Leaves are super tiny as well. Much smaller than the "nana".

Of course it also grows very slowly so I am hoping what I "saw" & felt as base is really there when I finally re-pot. :o It could be my first instant shohin. LOL

I have no pics but it is like this (yeah a pom-pom)...
DETA-1527.jpg

http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/1527/index.htm

Micron Holly Bonsai - Dwarf Yaupon

So, how's it going with your Micron Holly Bonsai? I also just took one on as a project. Check out the initial repotting, pruning and shaping at my project website here.

It's an awesome little tree! Such a great, gnarly little trunk and an awesome nebari, plus those super tiny leaves! I'll be sure and update my project at some time during this growing season. I hope to see your update also.

I haven't touched it yet...waiting for warmer days and I have some deciduous trees that needed some attention sooner. :)

Nice plant you got there. Mine came in exactly same pot and labels/tags. LOL Thank you for the write up.

Just noticed this is your 1st post and from Austin, TX too! :cool: :eek:

Welcome to B-Nut!!!

Last edited:
Okay you got me going and I hacked my micron last night. It is in a tiny plastic bonsai pot now and almost nothing compared to how it was before I started so I hope it survives. Like yours it was packed with fine roots and I left a lot so I am not worried.

I thought I got a gallon sized tree but realized last night it is a 3 gallon pot. I will snap a pic tonight if I get to it since I need to move all my tropical trees back inside tonight. We are expecting 2 cold fronts (today and early next week). The tropical "dance" started!!! :D

Cowboy, did your holly recover well or is it too soon to tell yet? I had one a few years back, loved the mini leaves and twiggy branches. I removed half the roots then put it back in the nursery container and it seemed to just waste away. I thought it was one that could not take so much root trimming and have never got another as they seem to always be root bound in nursery pots.

ed

I removed half the roots then put it back in the nursery container and it seemed to just waste away. I thought it was one that could not take so much root trimming ...

Ed. If that is the case...OUCH!!! I removed about 90% of the roots on mine! :eek:

Too early to know yet on mine, Ed. Sorry to hear about yours. Did you also remove a "proportionate amount" of leaves and branching? It's supposed to be a resilient little guy. Or maybe that's my hopeful thinking!

Here is what I came out after a quick chop. Quarter coin for scale.

It can use further branch reduction but it will have to wait. I'll let it recover first...that is if it survives despite the major root & top chop...it was in 3 gallon pot, now it is in a rectangular 6" plastic bonsai pot. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1160185a.jpg
    P1160185a.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 187
Such gnarly looking little trees! I'm really anxious to see it (and mine) recover. Best of luck with it.

Looks like it will be an interesting little tree of it makes it. What's the thought behind the extreme reduction without changing the potting medium?

What's the thought behind the extreme reduction without changing the potting medium?
In my mind, it was growing in that medium happily...lush foliage, super fine and thick root system...why should I change it? Don't fix what is not broken. :)

Change whats not broken when you can put it into something that will be better then what it had. I think you should have moved it to a more modern bonsai mix. Although i'm sure it will be fine in your capable hands for a year or two, trees not in the ground will have more problems in dense organic mediums.

Ben,

I just repotted a tree today in a well graded, fast draining "bonsai soil" but the roots are so poor I can count in my fingers the live ones that I doubt the tree will survive another season if it is not repotted. I saw similar one on a tree I bought during a local club auction. I am not smart enough to know much of everything but I observe well...and when I see something that works, I try to understand why and I use it. :)

I do have "better" bonsai soil than these but as I said the tree looks super healthy in it (not now since I hacked it), that I doubt I can improve on it. Maybe as I get better I can, for now I am not smart enough yet. :)

Thank you.

Ben,

I just repotted a tree today in a well graded, fast draining "bonsai soil" but the roots are so poor I can count in my fingers the live ones that I doubt the tree will survive another season if it is not repotted. I saw similar one on a tree I bought during a local club auction. I am not smart enough to know much of everything but I observe well...and when I see something that works, I try to understand why and I use it. :)

I do have "better" bonsai soil than these but as I said the tree looks super healthy in it (not now since I hacked it), that I doubt I can improve on it. Maybe as I get better I can, for now I am not smart enough yet. :)

Thank you.

I used to use a all organic mix. Its fine for the short term but if your not an expert at watering it can lead to rot in the root ball as things decompose. I see nothing wrong with a bark mix apart from that, but I think that a akadama/pumice based mix will keep your trees much healthier. But when you have a yard such as yours with MANY trees I can understand why that's not affordable for everything. Do you use all organic with all your trees or just those in development?

Last edited:
Do you use all organic with all your trees or just those in development?
I just started 2 years ago, most of my purchases are cheap rough stock and the rest are collected...all my trees are in early development. :o Yes, all my trees are in mostly organic mixes.

I do have a mostly inorganic mix recipe already that I believe will work. For now, I am planning on adding some organic even on my future mixes but that can change.

Your work looks great to me even if you refer to yourself as a beginner, you've learned more then many with many more years exp by trying things others wont. ;)

Ben

Ben,

Thank you. As you pointed out, it is partly economics and budget. I have to make do and stretch things to maintain 150 (or so) trees. I know what I am doing/using is not the best nor is it optimal but until I've seen better, I won't change it. I could do worse.

Honestly, I've seen many trees kept in proper bonsai soil...mine are healthier than most...even against local show trees and our club trees that Kathy Shaner (our club patron) help maintain.

Likewise, I've seen tons of nursery plants in all organic potting soil (and with minimal care) that are healthier than mine. What does that tell me/you?

I agree about the breakdown rate so I try to find a good compromise (theoretically). I am still looking. :)

I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers.

This baby got trimmed a little back more :D...and it is budding all over now. :cool: Just teeny tiny red dots but enough to get me excited. I am so easy. LOL

Back
Top Bottom