Mesquite/ Google Lens

PastryBaker

Sapling
Reaction score
I love the Google lens. It has helped me identify trees in my hot desert climate that are growing in yards etc. So I found out that the tree in my neighbors yard is Honey Mesquite.
Has anyone had luck with them?
I don't see much as bonsai. It is on the Phoenix Bonsai Society as a fairly hardy tree.

I am going to try a cutting from it. I have only done cuttings from Jade. Should I wait til it cools down or spring?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-25 at 1.53.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-25 at 1.53.54 PM.png
    549.8 KB · Views: 18
I have a honey mesquite bonsai-to-be. I dug it before bud break last year; this year it's just been growing and strengthening. It is pretty small with multiple trunks. All I've done is move one stem to a leader position, so I don't have a lot of advice. It takes a whole lot longer from seed, of course, but they do sprout pretty readily if you want to put in that kind of time. No cold stratification is necessary.
I have no experience with cuttings from this species.

I love the Google lens. It has helped me identify trees in my hot desert climate that are growing in yards etc. So I found out that the tree in my neighbors yard is Honey Mesquite.
Has anyone had luck with them?
I don't see much as bonsai. It is on the Phoenix Bonsai Society as a fairly hardy tree.

I am going to try a cutting from it. I have only done cuttings from Jade. Should I wait til it cools down or spring?
Thanks
It can help, but I've found it accurate maybe 60 percent of the time. Best way to ID is to go to an actual botanical garden or arboretum and look around at the labels on the trees. I know the Sonora Desert Museum is world class, but you may not be near it. The Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix is also a great place.

Desert trees are not easy to do bonsai with, BTW. There are some species that work, though.

Desert trees are not easy to do bonsai with, BTW. There are some species that work, ththough.
We are definitely challenged to find good native candidates for bonsai.

One thing that you may find, @PastryBaker, is that the taproot may be somewhat of an obstacle. Honey mesquite have been discovered with taproots running hundreds of feet deep.

If you are interested, I'm working on a thread documenting some of the species native to my area. It's not far along yet, but I think that any of the species here up to this point would be good options for you as well. It's titled Native to the Northern Chihuahua Desert. It may not help you at all, but it might be worth a glance.

I have a honey mesquite bonsai-to-be. I dug it before bud break last year; this year it's just been growing and strengthening. It is pretty small with multiple trunks. All I've done is move one stem to a leader position, so I don't have a lot of advice. It takes a whole lot longer from seed, of course, but they do sprout pretty readily if you want to put in that kind of time. No cold stratification is necessary.
I have no experience with cuttings from this species.
It looks like an interesting tree to try. I am going to try cuttings. It can't hurt. Thanks.

We are definitely challenged to find good native candidates for bonsai.

One thing that you may find, @PastryBaker, is that the taproot may be somewhat of an obstacle. Honey mesquite have been discovered with taproots running hundreds of feet deep.

If you are interested, I'm working on a thread documenting some of the species native to my area. It's not far along yet, but I think that any of the species here up to this point would be good options for you as well. It's titled Native to the Northern Chihuahua Desert. It may not help you at all, but it might be worth a glance.
I will check it out.

It can help, but I've found it accurate maybe 60 percent of the time. Best way to ID is to go to an actual botanical garden or arboretum and look around at the labels on the trees. I know the Sonora Desert Museum is world class, but you may not be near it. The Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix is also a great place.

Desert trees are not easy to do bonsai with, BTW. There are some species that work, though.
Thanks. I just thought it was wild that an app can do that. Just growing bonsai in a desert climate is challenging. My ficus, olive, jade and powder puff are doing well under shade cloth. But, I just discovered how bad the water can be here. So adjusting PH and getting a filter attached to my hose.

I've found Google lens is not much better than any other app for desert species. I think these species are simply studied much less than those in wetter climates.

Thanks. I just thought it was wild that an app can do that. Just growing bonsai in a desert climate is challenging. My ficus, olive, jade and powder puff are doing well under shade cloth. But, I just discovered how bad the water can be here. So adjusting PH and getting a filter attached to my hose.
I have found the plant ID app for android about 85 percent accurate. Very helpful when out on walks or hikes and learn local species.

Back
Top Bottom