Maples dying - help

Kato1033

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my Japanese Maples that I have not seen before. What happens is the leaves begin to droop, they kind of look like they're melting, then turn black. Eventually the bark starts to black from the tips of the branches and moves down until the whole tree dies. I had one tree die this way, now I have a second in the process and a third seems to be starting.

Factors - the first tree to die was a new seedling that I got a few months back (though two others in the same batch are fine) and the trees got a little more water this year than usual, though they are not soaked by any means. Two of the trees are established trees I have had for several years.

Anyone have thoughts?

I'm sorry to hear about the problems.

Please let us know where you live (you can add this in your profile) and add some pictures.

Thanks.

I would isolate any sick trees from the rest of your collection ASAP. Sounds like an infection possibly fungus.

Might be pseudomonas

Pictures of the effected tree would help.

Here's what the trunk looksIMG_8567.jpegIMG_8568.jpeg like. Tree is now completely defoliated. This was a vibrant, healthy tree and went from rich foliage to this in about three days.

That looks like pseudomonas, but that usually shows up in the spring. People are going to say its verticilium wilt, but that doesn't show darkening outwardly.

Is there any treatment for it?

Here's what the trunk looksView attachment 562077View attachment 562076 like. Tree is now completely defoliated. This was a vibrant, healthy tree and went from rich foliage to this in about three days.

what's your geographic location? I've seen Japanese maples looking exactly like this in my area due to plain sun scald.

I'm in Southern California, at the beach. But these trees are in partial shade. They only get a few hours of direct sun a day and they've been in the same spot for years.

Japanese maples tend to be very sensitive to high temperatures and lower than usual humidity, even if they're not exposed to excessive direct sunlight. If you've had unusual heat and windy conditions in your area the past week or days, that might explain it (assuming that the water regime has not changed).

On the other hand, pseudomonas in August in Southern California? The bacteria dies at 42.5C for 150 mins, and here we've had temperatures higher than that since June/July https://www.researchgate.net/public..._lethal_to_Pseudomonas_syringae_pv_actinidiae

It could be that overwatering in the shade has created the conditions for a bacterial infestation though, but it's just not common here this time of the year.

It's very easy to tell if it's wind/sun scald. The first days the bark is going to show those black spots, but if the tree survives the bark is going peel off like in this picture. It can recover quickly with proper care. New leaves should sprout even from the partially damaged parts.

IMG_8298.jpg

It's very easy to tell if it's wind/sun scald. The first days the bark is going to show those black spots, but if the tree survives the bark is going peel off like in this picture. It can recover quickly with proper care. New leaves should sprout even from the partially damaged parts.

View attachment 562593
we have had a lot of activity from this sun this summer and we are entering solar maximum next year. So it could be sun damage. I have a Katsura JM in the ground where the entire top has burned off this summer

Japanese maples tend to be very sensitive to high temperatures and lower than usual humidity, even if they're not exposed to excessive direct sunlight. If you've had unusual heat and windy conditions in your area the past week or days, that might explain it (assuming that the water regime has not changed).

On the other hand, pseudomonas in August in Southern California? The bacteria dies at 42.5C for 150 mins, and here we've had temperatures higher than that since June/July https://www.researchgate.net/public..._lethal_to_Pseudomonas_syringae_pv_actinidiae

It could be that overwatering in the shade has created the conditions for a bacterial infestation though, but it's just not common here this time of the year.
The temperature where we are - at the beach - has not exceeded 80F all summer. I'm in the South Bay in Los Angeles and we've had a pretty overcast, coolish summer. In fact there's been very little direct sun all summer.

Back
Top Bottom