Manzanita Thread

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I really dig manzanita. A lot of us do. But when it comes to bonsai culture, success to put it mildly, is mixed. I started working with these steadily about 3 years ago. I've had some small victories and failures. I've learned some things but still have a long way to go. One problem is that information about these species is sparse, and at times too generalized and vague. I'm starting this thread with the goal of having folks share their knowledge and help fill in gaps. I'm inviting everyone who has attempted these plants to feel free to contribute, ask questions, bring forth ideas to work on. Even failures are valuable at adding to the knowledge pool, so please don't be shy. I'll start the ball rolling by posting a few pics with some things I'm trying. Sorry no masterpieces here. I'm learning to run by walking by crawling. I look forward to the contributions!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
image.jpg Cultivar "white lantern" 2 years in training. This was bare rooted and placed in the pot it's in. Stylistically wrong, but I was more concerned with successfully establishment. A little tip trimming and stingy applications of acidic fertilizer is all I've done.image.jpg This size plant material I've had pretty good success barerooting. When up to 1 gallon size, barerooting success drops off substantially.
image.jpg Another bareroot planting. A. ura-ursi hybrid 2 years in training. More to come as time permits.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Why do them bare root? People tell me they have the most problem when Manzinata roots are disturbed.

(Your comment that you rally "dig" manzanita startled me at first, because they really won't take to being dug from the wild.)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Would like to see more of these as bonsai. In the high mountains of Southern California you can find nice old manzanitas up to 9-10,000 ft. The trunk is a nice rich red color. I feel if trained and cared for properly they can become fantastic bonsai.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
JKL, good question, semi logical answer (hopefully). Barefooted because all info You and I have heard is that they hate to be barefooted. So I had to see for myself if it could be done. So in certain situations? Yes. Would I wholeheartedly recommend it? No. Secondly, most nursery material I see here is planted in fir bark dust with a little pumice added. It breaks down rather quickly causing issues for the plant roots if they remain in it. Also the longer manzanita establish themselves in this medium, the longer and more difficult to entirely remove the soil. I think that's why barerooting 1 gal size and up is so unsuccessful.
Bluemeon, yes they are striking. Collecting a large yamadori successfully is my ultimate goal.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
JKL, good question, semi logical answer (hopefully). Barefooted because all info You and I have heard is that they hate to be barefooted. So I had to see for myself if it could be done. So in certain situations? Yes. Would I wholeheartedly recommend it? No. Secondly, most nursery material I see here is planted in fir bark dust with a little pumice added. It breaks down rather quickly causing issues for the plant roots if they remain in it. Also the longer manzanita establish themselves in this medium, the longer and more difficult to entirely remove the soil. I think that's why barerooting 1 gal size and up is so unsuccessful.
Bluemeon, yes they are striking. Collecting a large yamadori successfully is my ultimate goal.
People also use the burl of manzanita for woodworking and various crafts. I have some large manzanita burls though I'm not using them for anything.

Last edited:

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
I have a current thread running in "Grafting, layering---" The patch I have been working with I have found to be a bit uncommon, at least in the 6,000' elevation range I cruise. A layer of topsoil over the expected fairly solid decomposing granite. Collection of naturally ground layered plants of the size you show above has been very successful. Spring will tell the success of this size and much larger ground layers I have started this year. I have never seen manageable size single plants. The large clumps in this area are essentially one plant so I have set out on experiments to collect individual "trucks" of the clump. We return to the cabin end of next week. In our absence there have been good rains on many of the days and I will report any visible reactions to the experiments described in my running post. I will try to post more photos with less confusing backgrounds and an item for scale. I will keep further reports on my ongoing efforts here in hopes this thread will grow .

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Atrox, welcome to this humble thread! I read your thread with interest earlier. By all means keep us posted.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Just to be clear for all of us non Californians. We are talking about members of the genus "Arctostaphylos",are we?Probably because the first syllable is your handle. It is only that sometimes Arbutus (or Madrone, or Madrillo) is called Manzanita. There is even a tree I saw south of Puerto Vallarta called Manzanita(little apple,in Spanish)with candy apple red fruit which is very poisonous.I apologize for my confusion.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion Barrosinc. I believe crabapples are well covered in other forums. Geo, yes I started this thread for the Artcostaphylos genus. Arbutus have some similar traits and overlap in range on the west coast here in areas. But can be large trees. I've never seen a madrone bonsai. They have large leaves that may not reduce well. I do recall seeing a picture of Arbutus unedo, Strawberry Tree in a bonsai book once. So there has been some work done. I'm afraid I have no other information to share on Arbutus although someone else might.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
That is fine. I am interested in Artcostaphylos genus. Might be able to find a species or two here in Baja Sur. Sure do like the look of them.I have to drag out my trusty field guide.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
There is an article here on collecting manzanita bonsai:
http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/?p=2421

I wish I took some pictures but there is A LOT of manzanitas in some parts of the southern california mountains. Some of them especially at the 8k+ feet range have probably been growing for 100+ years. The movement and color can be really nice. I don't really have much knowledge or experience in collecting trees, but the manzanitas I've seen are usually growing in very hard rocky soil. Probably very difficult to impossible to collect without killing the tree.

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
Greg's interview was a joy!!! Seems I have been successfully re inventing the wheel hahaha. My target patch is pungens, I have found "special conditions" soil over rock, I have taken advantage of natural ground layering, I am lucky to be close enough to the road to pot in the field, and a heavy % pumas was my best guess for soil. Some of this from intuition but most from blind luck. Well now, looks like we have all been given a hand up so let's get going!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Would like to see more of these as bonsai. In the high mountains of Southern California you can find nice old manzanitas up to 9-10,000 ft. The trunk is a nice rich red color. I feel if trained and cared for properly they can become fantastic bonsai.

You can find some really spectacular ones in Marin County California. That is where I first become interested in them as collected trees. Asking questions about this tree and trying to have a discussion about it has gotten me into a lot of trouble on this forum. Suffice it to say that harvesting the young ones can be done. My original questions about this tree circled around whether or not someone had discovered a method for harvesting the really old ones that look like they came off of Kimura's benches. Those trees are to die for.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If older ones don't like root messed with but can be ground-layered, the obvious question is, has anyone tried air layering parts of older plants? Trunks or significant limbs?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I asked every question you could think of including that one and have yet to receive a specific answer on material of this age. There is one member of this forum that is more than capable of harvesting the smaller and young ones, but as of now he has not posted evidence that he has harvested the really old gnarled and driftwood versions. The last I heard is that the consensus is they are not harvestable. Of course I believe that to be wrong but I wait for the evidence. As long as we are on lost causes I have yet to see any of the really old Bristlecone or Foxtail Pines either.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread Vance. Personally, I have no problem with respectful disagreement, tough questions or just playing the devils advocate here. Thanks to Greg and others, there is now more good information than there ever was. There are still knowledge gaps to be filled. Historically, some very experienced people have had a lot of trouble with this Genus. What I would feel bad about is someone viewing the thread, deciding that these plants are a cakewalk and yanking up and killing stuff all over the place.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree and you are right, Greg has accomplished a lot in blazing trails for harvesting the smaller trees and I think he deserves credit for that. The last time I discussed ------ mentioned this with him he thought I was trying to discredit him, which is not true, but the fact remains. My original question years ago was concerning the really old specimens that look like finished bonsai sitting there in the forest. Up front I don't ask questions about anything because I want to humiliate anyone I ask questions because I really like the tree and would really like to see this brought to a conclusion for the better.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
BrianBay9, we could take propagation of these off on a thread all it's own. Info I've gleaned from commercial propagators indicate different degrees of success with different species. Some species basal sprout. Others don't. The seed are very hard and require scarification by acid, file or flame. A tough nut to crack (bad pun, groan). But a good question. I may play with that next spring.

Top Bottom