Management of prostrata juniper.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I have grown a Prostrata for two years and have nearly eliminated all the juvenile folaige.

But now I am going to style and wonder how are other handling foliage and styling.

This photo is what I am using as reference.

I noticed the foliage pads are styled almost vertical.

lmrshatanaka-2009 (1).jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you mean “horizontal”?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look both!

Ooogly!

Why that tree?

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Watch the free vids of mirai live there are two going about pruning/pinching pads and great explaination about how and why to do what when lol does that make sense?
Its good to watch them all anyway :)

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown a Prostrata for two years and have nearly eliminated all the juvenile folaige.

But now I am going to style and wonder how are other handling foliage and styling.

This photo is what I am using as reference.

I noticed the foliage pads are styled almost vertical.

View attachment 166852

I love this Hatanaka Juniper. This tree is actually an inspiration to this tree which still has a way to go. Prostrata does lend itself to larger pads with foliage growing up as they grow naturally that way but I'm sure you can wire the foliage down and make Shimpaku looking pads but IMO not the best way to handle Prostrata.
This second pic also Prostrata. The lower largest pads have very little wire on them. The Hatanaka foliage seems to be handled in a similar manner to this one20170703_153054.jpg .
20170703_193918.jpg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I apologise for the confusion.
I love this Hatanaka Juniper. This tree is actually an inspiration to this tree which still has a way to go. Prostrata does lend itself to larger pads with foliage growing up as they grow naturally that way but I'm sure you can wire the foliage down and make Shimpaku looking pads but IMO not the best way to handle Prostrata.
This second pic also Prostrata. The lower largest pads have very little wire on them. The Hatanaka foliage seems to be handled in a similar manner to this oneView attachment 167065 .
View attachment 167068
Thank you, this is what I had hoped to discuss.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
This second pic also Prostrata. The lower largest pads have very little wire on them. The Hatanaka foliage seems to be handled in a similar manner to this oneView attachment 167065 .
View attachment 167068
The foliage looks well developed.

What are your pruning practices?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
So it wouldn' have been a dick comment...

"Finally someone who has read and understands!"

Cheers Thomas!

Sorce
Sorce, you're hilarious.

How is your Shimpaku?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, you're hilarious.

How is your Shimpaku?

Bronzing down pretty!20171113_154052.jpg

What's messed up is all I did was rely on that old tried and true Chinese Proverb....

Know you know nothing.

Now I know more.

But still less.

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Bronzing down pretty!View attachment 167119

What's messed up is all I did was rely on that old tried and true Chinese Proverb....

Know you know nothing.

Now I know more.

But still less.

Sorce
Looks beautiful and healthy? My favorite type of look!

Any spring plans to style the tree?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am referring to the foliage in the image. The branches are horizontal. Hatansaka tree, which I enjoy the stylized view.

I'm trying to understand prostrata foliage, which is unique to say the least.

http://bonsaibark.com/2015/11/02/an-american-classic/

Hey @chicago1980 here are a couple shots from Aug. '16 of the Juniper featured in that Bonsaibark post. I hung around a bit and took a couple quick pics.

DSC01365.JPG

DSC01366.JPG

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The foliage looks well developed.

What are your pruning practices?

Not much different with than with most juniper types. Prostrata foliage can be really nice but it is just longer that Shimpaku. This is what I do. First of all, don't cut or pinch green tips or you will get juvenile foliage as well as other problems. Been there done that. Clean the weak foliage a few times a year and keep in full sun.

When I decide to wire I clean all the weak foliage and wire all the healthy foliage on each branch up into a little tuff. I usually am planning for the tree to look its best after several month. So after several months the foliage tuffs have extended and are fuller and look great. I then do some adjustment of the branches. Here is pic of a Prostrata I just wired before Halloween this year. This tree will look much better next spring when it fills out a bit. The pics are front, top, and back. 20171021_115700.jpg

20171020_170445.jpg 20171021_115747.jpg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Not much different with than with most juniper types. Prostrata foliage can be really nice but it is just longer that Shimpaku. This is what I do. First of all, don't cut or pinch green tips or you will get juvenile foliage as well as other problems. Been there done that. Clean the weak foliage a few times a year and keep in full sun.

When I decide to wire I clean all the weak foliage and wire all the healthy foliage on each branch up into a little tuff. I usually am planning for the tree to look its best after several month. So after several months the foliage tuffs have extended and are fuller and look great. I then do some adjustment of the branches. Here is pic of a Prostrata I just wired before Halloween this year. This tree will look much better next spring when it fills out a bit. The pics are front, top, and back. View attachment 167301

View attachment 167304 View attachment 167302
Thank you for all the information. I share a photo of my tree as soon as I wire it this weekend.

Top Bottom