"Mammoth turd" trident

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Following: "https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/large-trident-ground-layer-or-root-graft.33230/#post-553409"

Last week, I removed an Acer buergerianum that was planted in my garden. It was originally a cutting, or an air-layer, don't remember, and stayed for too long in a small plastic pot.

It was spoiling the view I have from my kitchen when the "crabapple" is flowering.

acerb04_170926a.jpg

acerb04_180421d.jpg

(Don't worry, I'll remove the spade -unless it takes roots, and possibly, mow the "lawn")

So: it had already begun to leaf out, and the bark was damaged by the brush cutter my son used because he had broken my lawn mower.

Here's what it looks like today :

acerb04_180421a.jpg
acerb04_180421c.jpg
acerb04_180421b.jpg

If it survives, it will be a trhilling challenge to try and make this ugly duckling grow into an outstanding swan! :D

In ten years' time, I'll be 72... Or shall I?

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If it survives do you think you will ground layer it or do thread grafts for better nebari?
I have an elm with a similar base. I haven’t decided what to with it yet.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I haven't had any problem with overwintering Acer buergerianum so far, except for air-layers that were only a few months old in the 2011 winter.

A layer of 5-10 cm mulch on top of the soil is usually enough.

Last edited:

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I haven't had any problem with overwintering Acer buergerianum so far, except for air-layers that were only a few months old in the 2011 winter.

A layer of 5-10 cm mulch on top of the soil is usually enough.

Sweet. Has been a concern, but don't have any tridents yet apart from the seeds just started. Frosts are mild here in Wales where I am, and a zone higher than most of the UK.

Top Bottom