Mame

nurvbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A?
Hello,

I was curious to hear feedback on the success as this juniper as potential mame. The regular owner over the store wasn’t there today but a customer overheard me speaking about mame and pointed this stock to me and told me I could cut this branch and use it.

A couple of obvious reservations that I have as I’m still learning but if that is done, there would be no root structure for the pot which stood out to me. I believe they knew what they were talking about but I didn’t grasp the concept before they left. So I thought I would try here. It seems to have good nebari so just thought I’d ask here.

Photos for reference IMG_2250.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2251.jpeg
    IMG_2251.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 40
They further said that since it’s a conifer, it will be okay to try before summer is up to pot it.

My guess is your informant meant to cut off the bigger trunk and create your mini tree from just the lower branch and the lower trunk. You could consider turning part of the big trunk into jin - dead wood feature.
It is hard to do a virtual image from the photos you've posted. Need to get a shot from lower if possible in order to draw what I think could be done.

You can repot conifers in late summer but do not repot and prune close together. Junipers need plenty of top growth to help regrow roots so we only do one operation at a time when working with juniper.

The other plant in the pot appears to be a type of Euphorbia. If I'm correct, it is a terrible invasive weed that spreads quickly. I'd get it out and in the trash before it has a chance to spread everywhere.

Thanks for the reply. It was my understanding they said I could cut the right branch if I wanted to. I ordered rooting Harmone as well

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2261.jpeg
    IMG_2261.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 14
Was he suggesting to make right branch into a cutting and getting it to root and use that?

Was he suggesting to make right branch into a cutting and getting it to root and use that?
The left actually I meant to say. But yeah I was under the impression that I could cut it, dip it into hormone powder and mame potting before summer is up.

The left actually I meant to say. But yeah I was under the impression that I could cut it, dip it into hormone powder and mame potting before summer is up.
Well not sure best time of year for juniper cuttings but assume getting late in year for that. Before putting in a mame pot I would Make sure it roots first. My guess is this should wait till spring although I am Still attempting some cuttings myself now but not holding much confidence just doing it bc had to trim some things.

It is certainly possible to root juniper cuttings. I sometimes take long shimaku shoots, wire and bend them then put those in as cuttings in order to end up with a twisted small tree.
However, successful rooting is by no means assured. The last batch I did I got around 50% to strike. In addition, junipers do not always strike quickly. Occasionally 3 months, sometimes 6 months and occasionally up to a year before the first roots form.
After they have roots they need some care while the new roots gain strength so a year or 2 in a good sized pot is the best way IMHO.

Not sure if you understand that mame bonsai is quite difficult. Just keeping the tree alive in a tiny pot is a challenge that most beginners do not have the skills for. Even advanced growers can struggle with tiny bonsai.

I would be curious to know if this passing customer actually had experience or was just an armchair expert. The more I hear the more I think the latter is likely.

Back
Top Bottom