Mame/Shonin Ficus Grown from Seed

drewtoby

Seedling
Reaction score
I've been working on this guy for about four years. This is my first serious bonsai project. I started this ficus from seed. I guess now it could be called a pre-bonsai. This winter was rough (as in pretty cloudy) and the ficus only kept a singular leaf. However, now its spring. It is slowly growing more (thanks to some extra fertilization), although the new leaf was shredded in the middle by a bug. I have since sprayed the plant with fungicide/insecticide and the leaf healed (although droops a bit). I keep it on a south facing window, but plan to move it outside soon.

However, how do I get this guy to branch out? This guy is too tall for my liking. I was planning on mame, but now it is going to be a shonin I guess :eek:. Unless if I can cut it back. If I can, can you tell me how I can do so? I don't want to kill it :(.

Does any suggestions on getting this plant to branch out?

Attachments

• bonsai.jpg
    bonsai.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 81

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
The pot It's in is way to small for a tree in that state and of that size. The soil also seems to be way to wet, Ficus like humidity but they don't like wet feet. Once you can get it outside and the weather permits, repot it into a larger nursery pot and don't touch it/prune it/play with it...

drewtoby

Seedling
Reaction score
The pot It's in is way to small for a tree in that state and of that size. The soil also seems to be way to wet, Ficus like humidity but they don't like wet feet. Once you can get it outside and the weather permits, repot it into a larger nursery pot and don't touch it/prune it/play with it...

Okay, I have a few extra of those. I am watering once a week and am letting it dry thoroughly between watering. Yesterday was watering day.

How long should I keep it in a nursery pot for?

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Okay, I have a few extra of those. I am watering once a week and am letting it dry thoroughly between watering. Yesterday was watering day.

How long should I keep it in a nursery pot for?

Keep it in the nursery pot until It's to the desired size you want, re potting it every year or two depending n how root bound it is.

drewtoby

Seedling
Reaction score
Keep it in the nursery pot until It's to the desired size you want, re potting it every year or two depending n how root bound it is.

Okay, makes sense. Can I cut below the leaves? If so, will the plant grow new shoots or will it die? I was aiming for a little smaller than it is now as the final size. Or is it too late to go that small?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I can't tell what species that is from those pictures, but I wouldn't aim for anything smaller than what you've got now. Whatever species you have, the leaves are much too big for shohin. Also, don't water on a schedule. You said yesterday was "watering day", but forget that and just water when the soil is dry ;)

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Okay, makes sense. Can I cut below the leaves? If so, will the plant grow new shoots or will it die? I was aiming for a little smaller than it is now as the final size. Or is it too late to go that small?

Don't cut below the leaves, It only has 2 leaves on it anyways. That would just set the plant back.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Don't cut it. Repot it in a very large pot or even better in the ground. After some time has past start fertilizing it till winter. And then wait a few years, then repot it in a training pot when it reaches desired thickness/size.
Good luck! ;)

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless you live where the temps are above 50F all year, night and day, then in the ground wont work. Ryan knows of what he speaks with respect to ficus. I tend to agree that leaf size will dictate what size the tree can be and be a convincing bonsai. Shohin may even be a feat to attain.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Low light levels have let it grown etiolated. I would be afraid to cut it below the leaves because who knows how many nodes are there to pop new growth. Plus it's so small anyway and you're trying to thicken it up. The leaf size will probably reduce when it's outdoors in more light and when there are more leaves to take up light. I would put it in a slightly larger container to grow it out. Not a lot bigger though. Too big and the pot will stay too wet. There are articles about it on EvergreenGardenworks.com ("Why the earth is not like a pot").

Also you should edit your user profile and add your location and/or USDA zone so people can more easily help you.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First thing I would do is slip it into a larger pot, a round one about the size of the length of the one its in would do. Pot it in the center, now its against the back rim of the pot. Get it in full sun and fertilize it heavily and leave it grow all summer.

ed

drewtoby

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have it outside now in full sun, as opposed to inside in a small pot in a south facing window. I will not chop it back.

Top Bottom