Mame / Shohin repotting question

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
I have some small trees gathered and potted this past fall. Had one with leaves that yellowed, then died within a couple of
weeks in spite of my efforts. When removed from the pot the roots had heavily encircled the drain screen. There was a small bit of roots just below the surface
but otherwise the rest of the pot was devoid of roots. Unfortunately I didn't get photos.
The question? Can or should I repot every 6 months, especially in very young or newly potted up trees?

In my opinion, the better question is why was the rest of the pot void of roots? What soil were you using? Maybe it stayed too wet so the roots didn't want to grow there

It was a privet. Using American Bonsai Tool & Supply's Ultramix soil aggregate #20 Mini which is 1/8" - 1/4." I rescreened it before I used it.
I am using it on about 12 other trees and so far the others are doing okay.. I even pulled a couple out of the pots to be sure they were okay.
Two of these 12 survivors are also privets.

It is normal for roots to grow out and down. When confined to a pot this means they all soon end up at the drain holes and that happens well before the entire pot is full of roots. Later some new roots head back through the middle of the pot and start to fill up the centre but the majority still keep circling the pot trying to get out and away from the trunk. I see this time and time again when repotting.
I don't think this is a reason to try repotting every 6 months.
It's probably also nothing to do with why that tree died. Shohin are particularly difficult to manage because of the pot size and a great many bite the dust before we gain all the skills and knowledge needed to keep these little trees alive and healthy.
I found that repotting every year helps me keep fast growing shohin trees alive and healthy. After 12 months the tiny pots are getting pretty full of roots which makes it much more difficult to manage the trees through the next summer. Repotting gives the tree more room in the pot for air, water and new roots.

The question? Can or should I repot every 6 months, especially in very young or newly potted up trees?

No. Once a year with very young trees IF it needs it....if the pot is filled with roots.
Otherwise every other year is perfectly fine.
I only repot a tree when it needs to be repotted, not on a set schedule
Mature, more developed trees get repotted very 3-5 years

Often mini/ mame and shohin are grown on top of other pots or in a cumulative tray among other trees. This allows the plants a greater growing area if needed.
This also allows you to water all the soil that they can grow in to.
I’m certain it’s not the only way they are grown but a good practice.
a photo from Reddit to give you an idea.

Attachments

Doesn't sound like the tree was root-bound, more likely something else was the cause of demise. When you say "potted this past fall" do you mean Fall of 2023? @Biscuit's Trees Can you post some pictures of the trees that died either alive or dead? I'm curious what size pot they were in.

Back
Top Bottom