Malus Domestica advice

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I bought this Crab a few weeks ago at Noelanders, but in all honesty I have not worked with crabapple's before...
I'm kinda of clueless here on how to progress with this tree or come up with a working plan for it.

I did repot it about a week ago into a slightly larger pot because it was very root bound (vendor told me).... it had swallowed the mesh :oops:
I also did some root pruning because I had to get the mesh out but kept more then 70%.

I mainly bought it because I liked the chunky trunk and I can see where they were going with the branches and building the trunkline.
But by now all those branches have gotten quite thick and seem to be fighting for the leader position. So I'm unsure which to cut/keep.

Attachments

• 40709913882_e60102f3b7_k.jpg
    40709913882_e60102f3b7_k.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5895.JPG
    IMG_5895.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_5880.JPG
    IMG_5880.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_5881.JPG
    IMG_5881.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_5882.JPG
    IMG_5882.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 232

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have two coming from evergreen garden works in a couple weeks. So will be interested in the responses here. Good luck with yours!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a few coming, too. There are so many of them growing around here that look so nice. I just had to give them a try. They are very young (advertised as three years, btw 1-2 inches diameter), so at least one will be chopped very low, so I can learn some about how chopping for low trunk movement and taper works.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the idea of shortening the branches quite a bit but nothing this drastic...
When @Handsome John said to cut the big middle branch I was thinking to shorten the other branches along with it, like halfway and start ramification there..
BUT I do like your idea @Brian Van Fleet!
When would be an ideal time for such drastic cuts? I've read winter/early spring or fall...

The plan was to let it recover and grow for a season and do some more root work next spring seen as I was rather cautious this time.
Could these actions be combined? or will it be better for the tree to keep the roots as they are so it can recover better from the branch cutting?

and nice crab you have there too :)

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have two coming from evergreen garden works in a couple weeks. So will be interested in the responses here. Good luck with yours!
Which size did you order? I'm thinking about getting one myself

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
4" pots. A "Mary Potter" and a "Prairie Fire", excited to be getting them.
That is exciting! Yes, definitely post pictures when you get them! I just ordered one in a one gallon and gave Brent free reign on what cultivar he thought was best :eek:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That is exciting! Yes, definitely post pictures when you get them! I just ordered one in a one gallon and gave Brent free reign on what cultivar he thought was best :eek:
Will post pictures for sure, waiting on a Toyo Nishiki Improved to bloom so Brent can confirm it is the right plant, which is really conscientious of him. I'm sure he will pick you out something awesome.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I look forward to seeing the pictures of the apple and the toyo nishiki as well!

I know haha, I saw your post and that's actually what gave me the confidence to let him pick :)

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crab are exceeding tough. Root work you have done, and drastic cut back proposed by Van Fleet can be done in same season. Fine to do cut back now. New buds will pop, and you can start building usable branches.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crab are exceeding tough. Root work you have done, and drastic cut back proposed by Van Fleet can be done in same season. Fine to do cut back now. New buds will pop, and you can start building usable branches.

Awesome! Can i enjoy the flowers a little before I do the cuts?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I thought Malus domestica was a full sized apple, not a (dwarf) crab apple? That could impact on your design plans.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought Malus domestica was a full sized apple, not a (dwarf) crab apple? That could impact on your design plans.

Oh, I didn't know that? How would this make an impact?
The fruit will be bigger? I've seen Malus Domestica's with small fruit..

20151011_160134.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
The fruit will be bigger?
Normally, yes. But it depends on the variety, whether the labelling was actually correct, and so on. If the vendor actually said it was a 'crab' apple then it's a fair bet the fruit would be small. If it just said 'domestica' on the label, who knows. In your position I might let it produce some fruit this year, so I could see what the apples were like.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hmm ok, It was just labeled domestica. It's doing fine for now :D
I took it with me to the monthly bonsai meetup and decided after much discussion where to make them cuts.
Thinking about trying an airlayer this june first and do the cuts next spring.

IMG_6447.JPG

Top Bottom