Malus air layering on top of eachother?

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
A few weeks ago I visited a "pick your fruit yourself day" at a plum and apple nursery in my area.
After picking some plums I also saw a few apple trees for sale for only € 3,50 a tree.

I bought two of those trees with the best trunk base and they are Malus Domestica Verdero Robijn.
The trees are almost 2 meters high and I will chop the trees down low (next year) to make a bonsai with it.
But I'm also thinking of air layering some of the top parts off the trees to start a fun little mame or shohin project with those air layers because it would be a waist to trow away the top parts of the trees.

On bonsai4me I read that you can start air layering Malus in Autumn if you keep it protected from frosts or otherwise air layer in late spring.
Link: https://bonsai4me.com/speciesguides/malus-crab-apple-bonsai/

Because I don't want to wait untill spring I want to start the air layering as soon as possible.
If I look at the trees I was thinking about putting some air layerings on top of eachother on the same trunk but I don't know if that is possible.

What do you guys think about this procedure?
Is it possible to put more than one air layer on one trunk / branch on top of eachother?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Each layer needs foliage to power roots. You can do multiples as long as each "section" being layered has foliage. At least, that is my understanding.

But what about malus trees shedding their leaves in autumn?
Can you still air layer these trees without leaves on them?

But what about malus trees shedding their leaves in autumn?
Can you still air layer these trees without leaves on them?
You can but they tend to stand still once the foliage drops, and the pissebedden might start eating any callus that forms. So to get the best results, I'd wait until spring. Or take a couple hardwood cuttings and hope for the best come spring. I've had that work a couple times, but the cultivar was a weak one and the plants died due to lack of proper care on my end.

OK maybe I have to wait untill spring for better results.
But back to my question, can I put air layers on top of eachother on the same trunk / branche?

Layers do far better when there are branches feeding the new roots. If there are no branches between the 2 layers roots are far less likely on the lower one.
Provided there is at least 1 branch/ growing point/ leaves feeding each layer it will be OK.

I assume your apples are grafted as that's the most usual propagation method for fruit trees. Have you allowed for the graft and root stock in your plans to chop the trees low?

Thanks for your answer about the air layering, it's what I thought but I wanted to be sure.
I've air layered junipers before but never decidious trees that's why I asked the question.

As far as I could see there are no grafts on these two trees but I'm not 100% sure beacuse I haven't checked the bases below soil level yet.
My plan was to chop the trees down low and start growing a small bonsai with those trunks.
But I thought it would be a waist to trow away the top part of these trees because I'm sure I can probably make more trees out of it.

I will wait untill spring to start the air layering and after that I will decide what to do with the rest of the trees.

Back
Top Bottom