Luckily is was on sale...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is an interesting coincidence.
At my bonsai club's meeting last evening, we hosted Tony Tickle who styled a hinoki cypress for us. It was a member's very healthy tree and Tony made a point of showing us where it had grown new branches on old wood. He said that this happens on healthy trees and the method for achieving this is to cut most of the new growth back in the spring. I saw a couple 1"-2" branches and what looked like a lot of buds forming on the old wood.
From everything I hear and experience with my 1 hinoki, I wouldn't have believed it. So it may be possible. Sorry, I have no pics.
CW
Perhaps a reminder of how important the overall health and vigor of the tree is to the response along with timing and technique. I have found Hinoki and Sawara do very well if protected from wind and direct hot sun. They seem to like the climate on the island.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is the little hinoki I picked up the other day. I'm excited about the journey of this one. IMG_4095 2.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is my Kishu variety Shimpaku that i am excited about the prospects for. Acquired in January 2017. Airlayering some parts this year. Began fertilizing and strengthening last summer, repotted in april 2017 to grow box for development and rough styling.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    433.2 KB · Views: 18

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update time.
The little Hinoki seems to have been loving it's new home until a couple of weeks ago...
I started noticing some die back and odd coloration on a small section of the tree.
I should note that several of my plants were stressed due to me getting a little carried away with a weed removal torch around my bench a couple months ago. However, the others showed signs within days unlike the Hinoki.
Thoughts?

Top Bottom