Luckily is was on sale...

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So Brussel's had their yearly 20% off sale today and I wanted a few different trees to expand my knowledge.
As I walked in I was amazed at the beauty of Mr. Brussel's personal Hinoki Cypress that was on display, so I bought one with no prior knowledge of it's reputation.
I like a good challenge, but these trees sound like a nightmare for someone with little bonsai experience like myself.
Any tips or suggestions are always welcomed.
So without further ado here are the pics of what I assume will be a dead tree within the next few years.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Cypress (except bald cypress) are generally similar to juniper, and the same rules apply with pruning and outdoor care.

Be careful, though. And good luck!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just so you know, Brussel’s is owned by Brussel Martin. So, if that were Brussel’s personal tree, it would have been owned by Mr. Martin!

And, not to take anything away from your tree, that tree looks like pretty much a thousand others he has back in the greenhouses!

Hinoki make good bonsai. You have to stay on top of them, they don’t backbud. So, don’t let it get leggy!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just so you know, Brussel’s is owned by Brussel Martin. So, if that were Brussel’s personal tree, it would have been owned by Mr. Martin!

And, not to take anything away from your tree, that tree looks like pretty much a thousand others he has back in the greenhouses!

Hinoki make good bonsai. You have to stay on top of them, they don’t backbud. So, don’t let it get leggy!
Yes, sorry, my upbringing taught me to say Mr or Ms (first name), I guess some people get offended by Mr, Mrs, or Ms (last name).
And you are absolutely correct about the thousands in the greenhouse, it gets very overwhelming in there.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, sorry, my upbringing taught me to say Mr or Ms (first name), I guess some people get offended by Mr, Mrs, or Ms (last name).

It is OK, @Adair M is definitely a LARGE asset to our Bonsai Community - Once you read through all he says it is indeed an asset 99.7 percent of the time. The other .3 percent is normally a reveal of his OCD and ADHD qualities and are not meant to be harmful, just his opinion at the moment. He is a great guy and "does not mean to be that picky" but he "sometimes" does ;)

In all respect I hope he stays active and understood :)

You are correct and at the same time it will be a great plant to learn with. In reality it does not matter if it came from them direct or through to Distributors such as Sears that use their label - they do provide decent quality at entry level prices - everyone has to start somewhere and it encourages many in Bonsai :)

Grimmy

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is OK, @Adair M is definitely a LARGE asset to our Bonsai Community - Once you read through all he says it is indeed an asset 99.7 percent of the time. The other .3 percent is normally a reveal of his OCD and ADHD qualities and are not meant to be harmful, just his opinion at the moment. He is a great guy and "does not mean to be that picky" but he "sometimes" does ;)
Grimmy

I did not take it as harmful, I always love reading @Adair M 's post he is truly an asset to all who will listen to his wisdom.
I was only clarifying why I say Mr. John as opposed to Mr. Smith, I agree it's strange, but it is very common 'round these parts.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take your time, read up, and enjoy your new hobby! @Adair M I believe the OP was relating how he was amazed by a hinoki on display, but bought a starter tree.
That makes sense! I may have misread the author’s intent

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ugh, not the confidence boost I need..

They need plenty of light, and high humidity. I think it is our drying wind that does them in. I try to protect them by providing them shade, and I lose the interior foliage. Hinoki does not back-bud on interior wood.

I have seen them thriving in landscape up around San Francisco and north of the bay. There are some that are doing "ok" in the Huntington gardens about an hour's drive north of me. I wish I knew the key... but I don't. However you may find that Tennessee has plenty of humidity and they do fine in your area.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They need plenty of light, and high humidity. I think it is our drying wind that does them in. I try to protect them by providing them shade, and I lose the interior foliage. Hinoki does not back-bud on interior wood.

I have seen them thriving in landscape up around San Francisco and north of the bay. There are some that are doing "ok" in the Huntington gardens about an hour's drive north of me. I wish I knew the key... but I don't. However you may find that Tennessee has plenty of humidity and they do fine in your area.

There are different types and although I have limited experience I found that the types that stay a green coloration do good down South in Alabama. The types that turn the deep blue color however do not. A friend down there ordered the later of the two and called and had the shipment directed to my place where they do good.

That observation my be helpful though, perhaps the green varieties are better suited for warmer climates from what we see. None of them back bud though and are a real pain in the ass to trim/manage.

Grimmy

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Oka y SO this is not a Hinoki . It's an Eastern White Cypress that used be six foot tall,,. That I gave a 5 foot haircut..... making pads at the moment......going to try a lightning strike effect and see how I go.....its first year in this pot....did root work on it

Attachments

• 20180310_164259.jpg
    20180310_164259.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180310_164240.jpg
    20180310_164240.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 19
  • 2018-03-10 23.37.17.png
    2018-03-10 23.37.17.png
    649.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2018-03-10 23.35.38.png
    2018-03-10 23.35.38.png
    603.2 KB · Views: 16

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I meant to post this update last month after I worked it a bit.
I did very minimal trimming, but a lot of wiring in hopes of spreading the foliage so it didn't suffer any dieback due to shady areas.
I also spread the trunks because I liked the look better.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is an interesting coincidence.
At my bonsai club's meeting last evening, we hosted Tony Tickle who styled a hinoki cypress for us. It was a member's very healthy tree and Tony made a point of showing us where it had grown new branches on old wood. He said that this happens on healthy trees and the method for achieving this is to cut most of the new growth back in the spring. I saw a couple 1"-2" branches and what looked like a lot of buds forming on the old wood.
From everything I hear and experience with my 1 hinoki, I wouldn't have believed it. So it may be possible. Sorry, I have no pics.
CW

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is an interesting coincidence.
At my bonsai club's meeting last evening, we hosted Tony Tickle who styled a hinoki cypress for us. It was a member's very healthy tree and Tony made a point of showing us where it had grown new branches on old wood. He said that this happens on healthy trees and the method for achieving this is to cut most of the new growth back in the spring. I saw a couple 1"-2" branches and what looked like a lot of buds forming on the old wood.
From everything I hear and experience with my 1 hinoki, I wouldn't have believed it. So it may be possible. Sorry, I have no pics.
CW
I have never heard of that, I hope it does.
Thank you for giving me some hope.

Top Bottom