looking for

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am looking for spruce trees and also older shimpaku material if anyone knows anyone
I would check Meehans miniatures for the juniper. I got one from them a couple years ago. It was 2 inches at the base.
I collect my own spruce You could try a Christmas tree farm for starters. Or some of those places like golden arrow bonsai for a collected one.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think your request is too vague.

For example - where do you live (what zone?). What kind of spruce trees? What size? What sort of "older shimpaku material"? The more specific you are the more help I think you will get. For all I know you could live down the street from me and I'll walk an Oriental Spruce over to you :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For example - where do you live
I just checked his other thread.
What do you know!
Another guy from Michigan!
While you're at it walk a couple of them oriental spruce my way. Ill have some hot chocolate ready for when you get here. Youre going to want it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second Golden Arrow.

And the woods!

Not Vance's Family... the Forest!

Sorce

Reaction score
I want material that has not been worked on. Looking for something prolly in 5 gallon to 25 gallon pot. I am going to a christmas tree place today. I been doing that to many nice ones around here nothing that is crazy. Im from detroit area so 3 and half hours from u

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I also highly recommend Meehans and Golden Arrow Bonsai. You can get old Black Hills Spruce from Golden Arrow. Also, the owners of both companies are fine people. (Prices at Golden Arrow will be comparable to buying large nursery material.)

My club has collected, spruce mostly, from a Christmas Tree farm and found first part of April to be a very good time. Adjust timing for your climate.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want material that has not been worked on. Looking for something prolly in 5 gallon to 25 gallon pot. I am going to a christmas tree place today. I been doing that to many nice ones around here nothing that is crazy. Im from detroit area so 3 and half hours from u
I thin you should think about joining our club.
Four Seasons Bonsai Club.
Also there is a place in Dundee called the Flower Shop. He will have some shimpaku. Plus any wire,books,pots etc.
That's the first place I would check.
If you ever find yourself up this way send me a p.m. We can go scout trees to dig or dig them if it's the right time.

Reaction score
Yea I am in the clubs and I hang out in dundee a lot lol. I am looking for bigger shimpaku. Went to christmas tree place today got a couple decent thing special I always want to dig lol. I never been up that way I need to thou is there a lot of good places to find trees. It is weird that shimpaku is so hard to find

Top Bottom