Looking for species to grow in NW Montana indoor/outdoor

Reaction score
Will be a first tree. Would love to grow indoor or out, but we do have limited S facing windows.

Look at the native species around you!! Probably need very cold hardy if you want to keep outdoors with limited protection. Welcome.

Do you prefer deciduous or conifer? Would a broadleaf evergreen work?

Western Larch, Doug Fir, Engelmann Spruce, Ponderosa, Whitebark, and Lodgepole Pine are all common coniferous natives. We have some Aspens and Cottonwoods that are common deciduous trees. Would the nativity factor be most important only if I were cultivating outdoor? Would any of these trees be harder/easier cultivate in bonsai for a first timer?

Would the nativity factor be most important only if I were cultivating outdoor? Would any of these trees be harder/easier cultivate in bonsai for a first timer?
Natives indicate they will be Ok to grow outdoors all year round. Most of the trees you listed don't do very well indoors so better suited to outdoors.
Ficus are very tough and tolerant of indoor conditions. Recommended for a beginner but MUST be indoors whenever temps get low.
Trident maples are also a hardy and forgiving traditional deciduous species to start with but may need to go into shelter in your winter.
Chinese elm is another traditional bonsai species and a firm beginner favourite but will definitely need winter protection in Montana.
Junipers are also good. Slow growing but that means they don't usually get away and need trimming every few weeks. Need to check locally to see whether junipers can survive winter outdoors or if they should go into shelter.
Pines need special technique to maintain a neat shape long term. The make good bonsai but probably not as good for beginners.

Also look at what grows in gardens for a guide to species that are winter hardy in your area.

Hundreds of other species that can be used for bonsai. Just depends how much trouble you want to go to with winter protection, summer care and what space/conditions you have indoors for trees that can't take frost.

Will be a first tree. Would love to grow indoor or out, but we do have limited S facing windows.
Indoor growing is harder with "indoor" species than with outdoor growing using native species. All of the species you've listed will be killed indoors, BTW. "Indoor" species used for bonsai are tropical in origin like ficus, schefflera, etc. Also there are no "indoor" plants. They all evolved living outside in the sunshine. There are just species that can tolerate indoor conditions to a certain extent. Indoor conditions are extremely harsh and unforgiving--low light (Even with windows. which can block UV light spectrum, depending on your windows) Light levels drop off drastically inside, with sunlight even in shaded areas 50 times brighter than inside lighting. Humidity levels inside is about the same as a desert and even worse in the winter with heating systems on. Air doesn't circulate nearly adequately for most any plant, which means insects can more easily set up shop--mites and aphids in particular.

I'd skip learning on "indoor" plants. Everything is more complicated from watering to pruning.

All of the native species you've listed can be used as bonsai, BUT they're not going to be as reliable as say a tried and true, tough "beginner" species like a plain old juniper or chinese elm.

FWIW, I'd start with a Chinese elm and work your way through once you learn how to care for it. Horticulture tops artistry--you can't do bonsai on a dead tree. Which brings up a tough point--you're probably going to kill a few trees at first learning the ropes. That's part of the process.

Western Larch, Doug Fir, Engelmann Spruce, Ponderosa, Whitebark, and Lodgepole Pine are all common coniferous natives. We have some Aspens and Cottonwoods that are common deciduous trees. Would the nativity factor be most important only if I were cultivating outdoor? Would any of these trees be harder/easier cultivate in bonsai for a first timer?

these are known to be great species. Amur Maple is another one that would likely survive no issue and make great bonsai. Red Maple, birches and pioneer species also are often usable with their own distinct care and technique challenges.

I would carefully consider overwintering resources now if going with any trees which are not hardy to at east two USDA zones colder than your current zone.

An indoor ficus that moves outside in summer is always a good start.

An indoor ficus that moves outside in summer is always a good start.
Agreed. I brought a handful of tropicals with me from southern california (about a dozen or so). They spend all summer outdoors, and I bring them in for about three-four months in the winter (any time there are below freezing temps outside at night). They include ficus, Texas ebony, Brazilian ironwood, Brazilian rain tree, Fukien tea, a couple of citrus, etc. These trees NEED to be outside in the summer, but they can tolerate a few months of indoors in the winter if you keep them in a bright window.

They have all been outside (in my climate) for a solid two weeks now. I will only bring them back in if we get a frost - and then only overnight and they go back outside the next day.

Back
Top Bottom