Look at this trunk!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Time will reveal all. On Yaupon, new growth emerges green and turns reddish when lignified. With age it turns gray. Japanese holly emerges bright green and stays that way. Yaupon leaves also can have a purplish tint when young. Like this.

E545E00C-65FE-44F8-8365-812ED85D6F39.jpeg

In the end it doesn’t matter that much. Cultivation is the same.

S

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I think y’all might be right!!!!! I’m not really Southern but “y’all” works so well!!! So I took better shots of the tree today and compared them to my actual yaupon and the branches look similarly reddish. The one with the tape measure in the background is my yaupon (I took pictures of this behemoth just now but will start a new thread for it later) and the other pic is from the tree in question. I can’t believe it, I may have two remarkable yaupon trees!6E3CB32F-8763-4364-994A-A14D46E33A38.jpeg83B8FDA6-2C1E-41D1-9736-436637E3D6C1.jpeg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not really sure, I was thinking yesterday something with the leaves looked different but there's a lot of crenata cultivars so it's hard to tell...

I've seen crenata with purple stems but I think the real determiner will be if the new growth is reddish purple, then you'll know it's a yaupon.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So I’m right back where I started? :eek:

I have zero doubt after seeing the stems up close. It’s a yaupon.

But as I said - it doesn’t really matter all that much as the culture is identical. Both make fine bonsai but Yaupon is superior in my opinion.

S

Top Bottom