Look at this trunk!

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About six months ago, my neighbor ripped out his hedges that were planted when he built the house 25 years ago. He threw them out, but not before my wife saved this one from the curb. We thought it was a boxwood for about five months but now I believe it’s an Ilex. Today I removed it from the cement mixer container and got it into my 19-inch pot. I put my thumb on the trunk for perspective. Can’t wait to style it next year!!

Attachments

• F81E57A5-9D09-4053-8267-2780755782A8.jpeg
    F81E57A5-9D09-4053-8267-2780755782A8.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 02A7441A-C89E-40EE-95F9-63FEF076E926.jpeg
    02A7441A-C89E-40EE-95F9-63FEF076E926.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DD865B02-1F2E-4B52-8E85-F3163CBE7FE6.jpeg
    DD865B02-1F2E-4B52-8E85-F3163CBE7FE6.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 125

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice base! Why couldn't you start styling it this year? And an easy way to tell the difference between these and boxwood are that hollies have a slightly serrated leaf and boxwood have smooth edges.

Awesome tree!

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice base! Why couldn't you start styling it this year? And an easy way to tell the difference between these and boxwood are that hollies have a slightly serrated leaf and boxwood have smooth edges.

Awesome tree!

Yes, that was how I came to that conclusion, too. As for styling, I thought maybe I should give it time to settle and recover. Do you not think the “one insult a year” pertains to this type of tree?

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of our members wants to know if I’ll part with this for a price. I have no interest in selling it, but I am curious what I could get for it. I wouldn’t want to get taken advantage of, so any appraisals out there for me?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you not think the “one insult a year” pertains to this type of tree?

They can take a beating and I figure you probably got pretty good root growth in the fall in your area, but nothing wrong with taking it slow. Did you have some pretty good root growth from the time you got it to repotting?

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They can take a beating and I figure you probably got pretty good root growth in the fall in your area, but nothing wrong with taking it slow. Did you have some pretty good root growth from the time you got it to repotting?

Hard to tell. My wife has a horrible memory and she was the one who saved it. But it budded out and grew a ton so I can only assume it did just as well beneath the soil. But I cut a ton of large roots today, so I’m going to take it slow.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great trunk, I think it's a yaupon holly by the way

Aaron

Thanks. It’s not a Yaupon Holly, though, I have one of those, too. And its trunk is humongous, makes this one look like a twig; it’s a once-in-a-lifetime tree, over 75 years old. But fairly certain this is an ilex crenata.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks. It’s not a Yaupon Holly, though, I have one of those, too. And its trunk is humongous, makes this one look like a twig; it’s a once-in-a-lifetime tree, over 75 years old. But fairly certain this is an ilex crenata.

This is a nice one, I have three that I saved last year in the same fashion, the neighbor ripped out about twenty five. I wish I would have had the space and time to save them all, the rest went to the dump.

I doubt seriously that it is over 75 years old (I assuming that you are saying this based on size alone), though. The neighbor planted the ones that I got in 1995, they were in one gallon nursery pots at the time. Last year, 2017, would have made them 22 years old. The are at least as big, one is twice as big, as the one in the opening post.

I will be interested in seeing how you style it, I have been struggling with what to do with mine.

Here is the link to the ones I saved: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/a-score-maybe.26819/

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
wonderful base and ilex are known for em!!!!

I could be wrong but I believe this to be a vomitoria as well. I have both and one of my favorite species.

From these pics it is hard to tell but crenata and vomitoria both have different growth patterns and leaves.

Crenata:
1518753990490.png

Your tree

1518754768072.png

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a nice one, I have three that I saved last year in the same fashion, the neighbor ripped out about twenty five. I wish I would have had the space and time to save them all, the rest went to the dump.

I doubt seriously that it is over 75 years old (I assuming that you are saying this based on size alone), though. The neighbor planted the ones that I got in 1995, they were in one gallon nursery pots at the time. Last year, 2017, would have made them 22 years old. The are at least as big, one is twice as big, as the one in the opening post.

I will be interested in seeing how you style it, I have been struggling with what to do with mine.

Here is the link to the ones I saved: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/a-score-maybe.26819/

No, I think you may be conflating my posts. The one that I posted today is 25 years old. The yaupon holly I have, not pictured, is at least 75 years old. I will post that some day, and that trunk makes this one look tiny.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a crenata, straight from a horticultural website. Notice the jagged leaves, just like mine. Fairly certain mine is not a vomitoria.

004B6E83-997D-4245-B502-23AA404A7EBB.jpeg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a crenata, straight from a horticultural website. Notice the jagged leaves, just like mine. Fairly certain mine is not a vomitoria.

View attachment 178001

Both species have serrated leaves. From just pictures one can always be wrong, but I might be right who knows !!!

@markyscott Whaddaya say?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
No, I think you may be conflating my posts. The one that I posted today is 25 years old. The yaupon holly I have, not pictured, is at least 75 years old. I will post that some day, and that trunk makes this one look tiny.

Conflating, cool word, don't see it very often. I re-read the post and, you are right, I miss read your conflated post. Just skimmed through the thread fast.

Anyway it would be cool to see the other one, please post.

John

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both species have serrated leaves. From just pictures one can always be wrong, but I might be right who knows !!!

@markyscott Whaddaya say?

I’d guess Yaupon. Differences in leaf shape are pretty subtle. The easiest way to tell them apart is from the twigs. Young twigs on Japanese holly are almost always green. Young twigs on Yaupon are purplish or gray color depending on the cultivar and time of year. Hard to tell from the pictures, but yours look kind of reddish to me. If they’re green like in the pictures that have been posted, it’s a Japanese Holly. If they’re reddish or purplish in color, count yourself among the blessed. You have a Yaupon with a great trunk.

S

Top Bottom