Little Pepper Bonsai (Bonchi)

Reaction score
This a little ornamental pepper tree that I that I planted from seed just for fun over the fall and winter in the green house. At work my owner bought a big ornamental pepper plant to keep at the front doors when customers walking in. Grew little peppers all over ranging in color. Took a couple ripe peppers off cut them open to gather seeds. Plant a few and most took. Gave the rest a way when super small and kept one in a 4inch shallow pot and let it grow and grow threw the winter. Got to this height I'd say in mid April but hasn't grown really at all since then. Yesterday I potted it in a way bigger pot to let it grow out, thicker, and taller. Curious to see what comes of it. Seen a page on the internet where a bonsai artist specializes in pepper bonsai (Bonchi) he calls it. I know the life span isn't as long as a tree, but if you keep at it it will mature and look like a bonsai way quicker then the normal tres. You guys ever have try one? If so, how did it work out for ya?

This is how his trees look in just a short period of time from seed. Many more pepper bonsai pictures on the web.(Last picture)

Attachments

• IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3527.JPG
    IMG_3527.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3528.PNG
    IMG_3528.PNG
    326.7 KB · Views: 113

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kev,

word of warning, peppers usually only live for 10 years.
So as long as you can handle that enjoy.
Good Day
Anthony

* you can if they get large enough, carve the base of tree as wood, when it dies.

Reaction score
Yeah I understand the lifespan. Also will suck to have to let it go when that time comes. But what makes it even out is how fast you can developed into some mature in a year in some cases. That's one of the reasons I thought to give it a try. Also because it's something new to try. Im interested in seeing how it goes.

sp1tf1re

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have started these exact same peppers this spring. I have ten seedlings that are doing well and I have recently topped 5 of them and pruned back the larger leaves off a couple more to see how they grow. Mostly I went with this specific plant because it makes a nice indoor plant, and second to start my hand at bonsai, I figure something that grows fast and can handle rough pruning initially is a good start. This year is all about growth and seeing how many peppers I can get. In the winter I will cut back and bring indoors. Probably only the best ones.

In the future I would like to start a ficus, maybe look for one later this year as we are looking to move into a house by the end of July. I know my wife would like a full size ficus indoors. So maybe I can take a cutting and start a new one for bonsai from that. I know there are a lot of resources in the Indianapolis area. When I am truly ready I will start to seek them out.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have lots of chile plants. I'll take pics tomorrow. These are my favorites ! Can't go wrong with a handful of these and a Modelo cold beer !!

Reaction score
Also to sp1tf1re.... yeah they aren't a bad tree to start off with when getting into bonsai. Also will take well to indoors under the right conditions. But I have also found with the other ones I grew that if you cut the peppers off they will grow bigger and faster. Which makes sense, because the tree can focus more of its energy on growing then the actual peppers. Yeah I know it's hard to do, because once you start from seed, watching it grow healthy, and then peppers finally start appearing is hard to cut them off :( Its what we been all hoping that would happen from the start!! So when finally the wait is over they got to go lol. That's only a option, you don't have too. Like I said you cut them off they will grow bigger and stronger. Peppers will keep coming don't worry lol. Get the tree to the ideal height and thickness and then let them peppers flaunt their stuff ha ha!!! Good luck man!

Reaction score
Oh ok ha ha. Was about to say lol. Yeah I have 9 of them going. Doing great!! Few other veggies growing too. Shouldn't have done it this year with the damn 50+ Trees I got :mad:. Should of know better from last year! Well the wife is Vegan so she likes it. Happy wife, Happy life !

sp1tf1re

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How are your little peppers going? I have just started to see some little pods this week on mine.

Reaction score
I had a lot of them. Once they start they keep coming fast. Cool how they change from yellow to orange, purple, then red. But I actually cut them all off and continue to do so. Although nice looking a rewarding I'm trying to work on making it a little tree. Thickness, height, and overall definition. So by cutting off the peppers which take up a lot of plants energy, I'm now using the energy that use to support the pepper growth back into the plant. Which in return will focus on what I'm trying to achieve. Get the tree/plant height and thickness you want then let your peppers grow. Same way as if you were working with a flowering bonsai. Get rid of those flowers to save energy

sp1tf1re

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I want at least one to be a bonchi so I think I will start working on one of them in that way, and let the others get me a nice yield of peppers at the end of the season. I have to transport them to the new house this week.

Top Bottom