little black pine

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Guys :)

thought i would share a small black pine I want to turn into an uprightish bonsai
it was cut down from nursery material with some shoots down low 2 years ago
I will try and find some starting off pictures but here it is today. so lets start the process from here:
tree is about 16cm tall, trunk is 4cm wide

the plan for this coming season is to repot it into a smaller training pot and not much else besides some needle pulling and maybe some candle pinching IF necesary

current front:
Shohin_JBP[1].jpg

from the rightShohin_JBP_1[1].jpg
from the left:
Shohin_JBP_2[1].jpg from the top:
Shohin_JBP_3[1].jpg

I am getting nice back budding in the apex, this lil one is quite strong. I am looking forwar to this coming season

any comments welcome

best regards
Herman

That is a nice looking tree. You are doing well with it.

The only thing that I don't like is that you cut the needles. Read up on how to manage needle length without resorting to cutting them. Other than that keep up the good work.

The only thing that I don't like is that you cut the needles. Read up on how to manage needle length without resorting to cutting them. Other than that keep up the good work.

hi jeanluc

I do not pull needles on a tree at this stage, I rather cut the needles to let in light in the inner branches :) this has nothing to do with creating and managing the needle length
will only start decandling when the tree is ready for it and decandling and or needlepulling makes sense. The tree does not need to look amazing with short nodes and needles with a very well ramified structure NOW, only later as it progresses.

thanks for the complements jeanluc :)

sincerely
Herman

It's mid winter for you now, isn't it?

What you do next depends upon your goals for the tree. If you are happy with the trunk size and taper, then putting it in a smaller container will be ok, as it will restrict the root growth and make it easier to ramify with short internodes.

If you want to build trunk, a small container will restrict that.

There is something you should address: there are some surface roots visible on your picture labeled "from the left" that appear to cross back to the left after the black rubber. That crossing portion should be removed at the next repotting.

On the "front" picture: that first branch on the right that you have guy wired down is heavy and straight and horizontal. That branch is always going to be a problem.

There are several options: bend it down more; graft on some branches on it; graft on another branch on the trunk to take its place; choose another front; fatten the trunk while suppressing growth on that branch.

Maybe a little of each!

Nice little tree, you should have fun with it!

Now...

Herman, I see sometime with your wiring on that branch that could be more effective. I know I have a reputation of being the Wiring Nazi... But I don't won't this thread to devolve. If you want me to tell you, I will. Otherwise, I'll keep my mouth shut

let rip Mr Adair LOL :) don't worry!

I am happy with the trunk, so I will repot this coming spring(yes it is mid winter here now) and work the roots, then depending on how the tree responds formulate my plan from there

that branch has got some NICE back buds close to the trunk!!!! :D :D so it will be shortened to the new buds when the new buds can take it. I can drop the branch a bit more though.

so now I await your wiring response

best regards
Herman

Ok, good. I didn't see the back buds. I'm glad it has some!

Ok, on the wiring:

It appears that you wired two branches on the same level with one wire. Or close to the same level. I'm talking about the wire that crosses in front of the trunk. I'm assuming it's wiring the two lowest branches.

It would have been better if that wire had been placed so that it went around the back of the trunk. Not because of aesthetics, it's because it makes a better anchor. The two branches in the front make an acute angle off the trunk. Passing the wire from the short side of the trunk, the wire doesn't have nearly the holding power as it would if it passed around the back, the long side. See how you have that air gap on the right side as the wire transitions from the trunk to the branch? If it had come from the back, it wouldn't be there. The wire would ride snugly along the branch and provide much more holding power. And allow you to bend that branch down right at the point of attachment with the trunk.

true be that! and as a benefit it looks better around the backside of the trunk right.

in the yellow circle, the red small circle is where the backbud starts and after about 2-3cm splits into two shootsjbp backbudding.png

thank you mr Adair

best regards
Herman

"They say" you can't wire two bar branches together.

But can if as a part of the wiring you move the branches in the direction away from the wire as it crosses the trunk. If you try to move them in the same direction as where the wire crosses the trunk, it won't work.

I see what you see (that appeals to you) in this tree Herman. Nice potential and exciting work to do on this one in the years ahead.

I am still reeling from the fact that I can actually grow one here (sans refrigeration), so I bought a starter sapling a couple months ago. Nothing compared to your tree, but I have always wanted a JPB and now I have one.

That
"They say" you can't wire two bar branches together.

But can if as a part of the wiring you move the branches in the direction away from the wire as it crosses the trunk. If you try to move them in the same direction as where the wire crosses the trunk, it won't work.
Thats probably what happened and caused the gap

Back
Top Bottom