LED bulbs for growlights

Markp1964

Seedling
Reaction score
Im considering replacing my cool florescent shop lights with LEDs.
Rather than buy one already to use, Im wondering if building a custom unit using off the shelf parts including commercially available bulbs would be more cost effective.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rather than buy one already to use, Im wondering if building a custom unit using off the shelf parts including commercially available bulbs would be more cost effective.

That will totally depend on your electrical expertise and ability to purchase parts by the lot to reduce overall cost per unit. Buying individual components would tend to be pricey. For example buying a Contractor Pack of 10 outlets vs buying individual packs of outlets.

Grimmy

Sweeks

Seedling
Reaction score
building your own led light setup can surely be cheaper then buying a pre made one...most if not all of the parts can be sourced from eBay for relatively cheap. As long as you can solder you can for the most part assemble one. I have built a few for hydroponics setups . They work great. Not sure how well something would do being grown under sun and then transferring to led. Everything I ever grew was vegged and flowered under led solely. If you have any questions about building one I'm more then willing to help where I can.
Have a good one!

Sweeks

Seedling
Reaction score
You could also try a par38 bulb...fits in standard light socket.

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
building your own led light setup can surely be cheaper then buying a pre made one...most if not all of the parts can be sourced from eBay for relatively cheap. As long as you can solder you can for the most part assemble one. I have built a few for hydroponics setups . They work great. Not sure how well something would do being grown under sun and then transferring to led. Everything I ever grew was vegged and flowered under led solely. If you have any questions about building one I'm more then willing to help where I can.
Have a good one!

I'm pretty good at soldering and working with LED's .What kind of LED would I need to make a grow light panel for my indoor trees?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know how to figure out what lights I need. Like what light spectrum, etc.

Is there a website or...?

I would like to grow them in a closet instead of the living room window. They grow very happy where they are now in the window but the setup is really unattractive.

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know how to figure out what lights I need. Like what light spectrum, etc.

Is there a website or...?

I would like to grow them in a closet instead of the living room window. They grow very happy where they are now in the window but the setup is really unattractive.

I have a similar struggle except I have a table with 2 32watt fluorescent bulbs feeding them light and its not enough light. I would be careful with putting them in a closet, because they need some type of air circulation, maybe if you put a small fan in there, just dont let it blow directly on them.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a similar struggle except I have a table with 2 32watt fluorescent bulbs feeding them light and its not enough light. I would be careful with putting them in a closet, because they need some type of air circulation, maybe if you put a small fan in there, just dont let it blow directly on them.
I would leave the door open likely but yes I have a fan I planned on using.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What kind of LED would I need to make a grow light panel for my indoor trees?

Full Spectrum, this is a decent article http://plantozoid.com/full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/

Again Full Spectrum but you can save a lot of cash using CFL technology -

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/compact_fluorescent_32_ctg.htm?gclid=CNDGp6XUv8gCFUiQHwodJ_UMqw

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Full Spectrum, this is a decent article http://plantozoid.com/full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/

Again Full Spectrum but you can save a lot of cash using CFL technology -

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/compact_fluorescent_32_ctg.htm?gclid=CNDGp6XUv8gCFUiQHwodJ_UMqw

Grimmy
Thanks for the links, I will keep researching to figure something out.

My grow area is roughly a 3'×3' cube currently but I would like to expand that to maybe 5'-6' long and the lights 2'-3' high up. I want them to really grow- not just skimp along until spring. I want to grow other plants there as well so extra space wouldn't be a bad thing.

Leds seen to be the best option.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leds seen to be the best option.

The whole thing depends on how long either light CFL or LED actually produces Full Spectrum. Same goes for Full Spectrum Fluorescent or Halogen. I have found it easiest to get that precise information on CFL and Fluorescent. For example the CFL and Fluorescent bulbs I use can last several years BUT they have an "effective" Full Spectrum for 1 year at 16 hours a day. So, if I run them for 5 - 6 months yearly I get two full seasons and I replace all the bulbs for the following two seasons. It may sound crazy as they still "light" but they can be used in lamps or whatever until they expire.

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The whole thing depends on how long either light CFL or LED actually produces Full Spectrum. Same goes for Full Spectrum Fluorescent or Halogen. I have found it easiest to get that precise information on CFL and Fluorescent. For example the CFL and Fluorescent bulbs I use can last several years BUT they have an "effective" Full Spectrum for 1 year at 16 hours a day. So, if I run them for 5 - 6 months yearly I get two full seasons and I replace all the bulbs for the following two seasons. It may sound crazy as they still "light" but they can be used in lamps or whatever until they expire.

Grimmy
I didn't know they lost their effectiveness. Interesting, something to keep in mind.

http://www.yescomusa.com/products/3...?cmpn=csEPIE&gclid=CK6Dne-vhMkCFVcSHwodvbgMmg
What about one or two of these? It says full spectrum but there's not very many blue and red lights so I don't know if it would work or not. They are inexpensive and they are the perfect size and shape. Maybe they would work for my aquascape tank

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What about one or two of these?

At 16 hours a day how many days a year do you plan to use them - on a timer of course... we are talking about plants not Aquaria so the requirements are far different

Grimmy

Edit: They also do not mention Lumens - yes it is more complex but for success it is important.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At 16 hours a day how many days a year do you plan to use them - on a timer of course... we are talking about plants not Aquaria so the requirements are far different

Grimmy

Edit: They also do not mention Lumens - yes it is more complex but for success it is important.
Do you know what I should aim for as far as lumens?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Depends upon what you are trying to keep... full sunlight can be anywhere from 10K lumens to 35K lumens (on a beach in the tropics).

All joking aside, look for pot grower sites, or reef aquarium sites for some of the most cutting edge tech. Some things to consider:

You aren't just interested in lumens, but in spectral intensity for the two bands of spectra that are used in photosynthesis. This is why grow lights have a weird look to them - they generate most of their energy in red and blue bands.

LEDs are point light sources, so you should consider a motorized light track so your trees get light on all sides and don't have shadows where inner foliage dies out.

There are plenty of sites for the DIY nut
where you don't need a ton of electrical experience...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Depends upon what you are trying to keep... full sunlight can be anywhere from 10K lumens to 35K lumens (on a beach in the tropics).

All joking aside, look for pot grower sites, or reef aquarium sites for some of the most cutting edge tech. Some things to consider:

You aren't just interested in lumens, but in spectral intensity for the two bands of spectra that are used in photosynthesis. This is why grow lights have a weird look to them - they generate most of their energy in red and blue bands.

LEDs are point light sources, so you should consider a motorized light track so your trees get light on all sides and don't have shadows where inner foliage dies out.

There are plenty of sites for the DIY nut
where you don't need a ton of electrical experience...
Look for pot growing and aquarium sites? You can't find anything other than 'indoor herb growing' sites! Lol.

I can do basic electrical tasks like solder but not much beyond that. I looked at making my own LED panel in the shape I want which was definently doable. My father has suggested some things for me that we might be able to use. We shall see.

I'm in over my head with all the lumens and spectral intensity stuff. I do understand I need red and blue band lights but how much and why is the issue.

Again thanks for the help, I am pretty lost when it comes to this stuff!

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
And if you would rather get face-to-face advice, your local hydroponics shop, if you have one, will probably have a wealth of information.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My grow area is roughly a 3'×3' cube currently but I would like to expand that to maybe 5'-6' long and the lights 2'-3' high up.

First I am going to point out that unless you go for very high quality LED you and your plants won't be happy. There is no savings without sacrifice in LED technology yet at point of purchase. Some bulbs have come down a small amount(on sale) but the market is not saturated enough to expect good on the cheap. CFL Bulb replacements and some of the newer Fluorescent technology allows for proper lighting and energy savings.

As for Hydroponic shops and Pet Stores they may have good information depending on what the person you are standing in front of knows from Personal Experience(most do not have that). You will also find that the pricing in those places is far more expensive the lets say a Tractor Supply.

Based on that and that fact important information needed at point of purchase you will find CFL will have the most information as the technology is now common and frequently used.

All that being said I will recommend a suitable idea of what you might consider for a 3' x 3' x 6' setup using various materiel that are of good quality - Most people wanting to "Grow" throughout Winter are dealing with plants that do not require dormancy like to use 5000 Lumens or more. so I'll base the parts list on that. Keep in mind this will be a very flexible system.

Start with getting 3 of these which can be hung from chain, clamped, etc... from most any tractor type supplier. They are far less expensive then similar in Hydro and Pet stores.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Little-Giant-Brooder-Reflector-Lamp/0000000209172?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping+search&utm_campaign=google+product search&gslfah&gclid=CPOLioT1hckCFU6PHwodmn4Fiw
And 3 of these - they each produce 1,800 Lumens for a total of 5,400 my target for this purpose. They also only use 26 watts of power which is very low.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/26w_power_compact_411_prd1.htm
An inexpensive timer and power strip -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...Mechanical-Big-Button-Timer-49810DI/203678109
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Belkin-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-F9P609-03-DP/100654575

The only other item I find handy is sold at hardware places by the foot and I find really nice to use if you are hanging the lights as you can leave a link open and adjust them up and down, I am certain it is well under 1USD per foot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-16-x-250-ft-Zinc-Plated-Jack-Chain-806510/203958817

Grimmy

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Grimmy

I read the article about the full spectrum LED, and I'm sold on it. Now to build one, where do you recommend getting all the full spectrum LEDs, boards, drivers etc? I modify automotive headlights for a living, so I have tools, supplies, and a workshop at my disposal. I would really like to give this a shot maybe in a small scale first for a single small desk size bonsai tree, and then if it works out great, I'd build a large scale one to fit all my trees under. Thanks

-Nick

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now to build one, where do you recommend getting all the full spectrum LEDs, boards, drivers etc?

The world is your playground but here is some links that you will find interesting for experimental purposes. In your journey be certain to record SKU numbers on products you are happy with for future purchase or direct purchase from China for bulk -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-3W-Plan...0bf00&pid=100338&rk=20&rkt=21&sd=291234250536

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-lot-...60bf00&pid=100338&rk=5&rkt=21&sd=291234250536

Makes sure to scroll through this one -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-20W-30W...Driver-Supply-LED-SMD-Chip-Bulb-/371128477842

If I were a lot younger and still working in Scientific I would have been right on this technology. Back then I was the first in 720 people to own an LED Calculator, Wrist Watch, and Build a functional Computer. Today I would need a lab to pull off a simple solder :p

Grimmy

Top Bottom