Leaves/ young branches pointing down on my Zanthoxylum?

phivioava

Seed
Reaction score
The previous day I had kept it outside in the light with no problem until I was forced to bring it inside my marquee for the night as the weather showed it was going to rain in my area.

This morning my Zanthoxlyum was thriving and all branches and leaves were pointing up and healthy so which I decided to put it back out in the sun. I had felt the soil beforehand I noticed the top layer was dry and also put my finger 1-2cm inside to check for the moisture and it was also dry. Instead of watering it straight away, I had forgotten to water it while I left it in the sun as brighter light moved infront of the Zanthoxylum.

Upon 4 hours later or so, I look out my window to see my Zanthoxylum pointing down like a willow almost. At this point I figured it was because of the under watering as the last time I had watered it completely was 3 days prior as it was still somewhat moist yesterday.

I have just watered it with a mix of bonsai feed and currently still keeping it outside; although it is now a little cooler with less sunlight than awhile ago.

I believe this was due to the underwatering of the tree but could it be possible that it was also because of the direct sunlight towards the tree? Will my tree turn back to its original and healthy state? If not how should I revive my tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 22
"or the night as the weather showed it was going to rain in my area."

Um, why are you avoiding outside and the rain?

You don't give your location, which is kind of critical in what is possible. This species is subtropical if I'm not mistaken, so unless you live in an area that is receiving fall frosts (southern hemisphere) it should be outside, probably in semi shade in the afternoon. The direction the new shoots is a direct result of the amount of water theyre getting from the roots. The soil in this container looks to be very dense and probably collapsed, which can mean the interior of the root mass could be drying out. I would submerge the pot into a tub of water until it flows over the top of the pot. Leave the tree in the water until bubbling stops. Then pull it up and let it drain. Don't water again for a while (hint, feel how heavy the pot is when you pull it out of the water. That's a fully-watered pot. A pot that needs water will be much lighter.) I would recommend repotting this tree as soon as possible into regular bonsai soil--removing most if not all of the existing soil. That repotting time is directly related to your geographic location and season.

Please fill in that info in you avatar to the left of the screen. It makes it MUCH easier to help.

I have added my location now as you recommended if that helps !

I have watered my bonsai and the leaves seem to have gotten better than previously as they are pointing up and seem stronger.

Considering you asked me why I’m avoiding the rain, I suppose I shouldn’t next time? But now that I had already watered it, it has again began to drizzle but will reach 3mm of rain later. Would it be harmful to leave the tree outside in the heavy rain even after watering completely again? My trees are currently in my marquee with it open away from the heavy rain.

Note: my marquee is always open and outside in my garden!

I have added my location now as you recommended if that helps !

I have watered my bonsai and the leaves seem to have gotten better than previously as they are pointing up and seem stronger.

Considering you asked me why I’m avoiding the rain, I suppose I shouldn’t next time? But now that I had already watered it, it has again began to drizzle but will reach 3mm of rain later. Would it be harmful to leave the tree outside in the heavy rain even after watering completely again? My trees are currently in my marquee with it open away from the heavy rain.

Note: my marquee is always open and outside in my garden!
If you prop one end of the pot up with a brick when heavy rain is predicted, the pot will drain quicker. There is no reason to avoid rain. Might help. Also, what species of Zanthoxylum is this. There are more than one. Some are temperate some are subtropical. Zanthoxylem americanum, for example, is cold-hardy, native to the U.S. midwest. There are 250 species of them...

If you prop one end of the pot up with a brick when heavy rain is predicted, the pot will drain quicker. There is no reason to avoid rain. Might help. Also, what species of Zanthoxylum is this. There are more than one. Some are temperate some are subtropical. Zanthoxylem americanum, for example, is cold-hardy, native to the U.S. midwest. There are 250 species of them...
It’s a Zanthoxylum Fagara but have gotten other people saying it’s a Jibily/ Elephant tree which I disagree.

Quite common for broadleaf species to "Droop" when they're thirsty, plants have a surprising array of capabilities to minimize water consumption. Quite often you'll see the physiological changes reversed within an hour or two of giving it water.

Back
Top Bottom