Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Blue Chip.

Navy Blue?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_on_shoulder

@ConorDash :rolleyes: The Royal Navy!

Hmmm..Purple, Royalty,....
Are you seeing how this all comes together?

Makes me greedy too!o_O

This was a depot tree. A bit of a quandry. It's been infested with mites, and ants, been submerged for hours, been good since, cleaned it out a couple weeks ago....

Put it back on the table yesterday in a state similair to this.
20170822_223700.jpg

And this...
20170822_223918.jpg

It had a decent root spread which after digging down, revealed my love for this art.
And a few trunk options that kept me guessing for a while.
Pondering.....Rascalling....observing with a conscious effort to slow down earth time, while speeding up developement time.

Seeing as how I didn't spend 2 hours at the stove annealing wire one day....

I started slapping some on this with a goal to use every branch.

20170822_224444.jpg

20170822_222348.jpg

20170822_222850.jpg

20170822_223209.jpg

20170822_215744.jpg

Did you catch....
"It had a decent root spread which after digging down, revealed my love for this art." ? ;)

20170822_221545.jpg

LBIP!

Looks better in person!:eek:

I laid this out to eventually cut back to forks which will take about 75% of the length off of each branch....
So there's a lot of compacting in the future.

Trying to get it right into this same frame in a few years...but with much greater taper and ramification.

Upon cutting the pot notch for the cascading side, I noticed a lot of very dry soil an inch or so down....
So hopefully I can get this potted next summer solstice and rid it of the problems it's encountered!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice work man, and a decent find for certain. If you cover those roots for the Winter with peat/compost and uncover them Mid- Summer you may be grinning ;)

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Not to shabby!, but I think the right low branch could be shortened based on these pics but wait till you get it in a pot and find the perfect front before chopping it off :)

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I haven't seen the back of the tree, but if those prop roots drop all the way around the tree you may be able to reduce from the bottom up and build your entire root system from them. If it were mine, they would be covered or chopped in phases.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This looks like Juniperus horizontalis Wiltonii.

They like to grow in the most wonderful, twisty, turning way.

I've got a few of them that I am trying to develop for bonsai. I really think they could be an interesting species

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you've got a multi-layered root mass from "top up" repotting. Plants throw increasingly higher roots as more soil is dumped onto the original roots when the tree is repotted into a larger container. Happens a lot with nursery material, as well as collected trees.

It's worth digging down another couple of inches to see if the original root crown is still viable. If it is, I'd remove the higher roots.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you've got a multi-layered root mass from "top up" repotting. Plants throw increasingly higher roots as more soil is dumped onto the original roots when the tree is repotted into a larger container. Happens a lot with nursery material...

Never seen or heard an explanation for that. Makes sense.

I have a couple of JWP with roots like that.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks awesome man, nice wiring. I gotta agree with giga in that the lowest branch is a little large, but that's all artist's preference

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
A Blue Chip.

Navy Blue?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_on_shoulder

@ConorDash :rolleyes: The Royal Navy!

Hmmm..Purple, Royalty,....
Are you seeing how this all comes together?

Makes me greedy too!o_O

This was a depot tree. A bit of a quandry. It's been infested with mites, and ants, been submerged for hours, been good since, cleaned it out a couple weeks ago....

Put it back on the table yesterday in a state similair to this.
View attachment 157983

And this...
View attachment 157984

It had a decent root spread which after digging down, revealed my love for this art.
And a few trunk options that kept me guessing for a while.
Pondering.....Rascalling....observing with a conscious effort to slow down earth time, while speeding up developement time.

Seeing as how I didn't spend 2 hours at the stove annealing wire one day....

I started slapping some on this with a goal to use every branch.

View attachment 157988

View attachment 157989

View attachment 157990

View attachment 157991

View attachment 157992

Did you catch....
"It had a decent root spread which after digging down, revealed my love for this art." ? ;)

View attachment 157993

LBIP!

Looks better in person!:eek:

I laid this out to eventually cut back to forks which will take about 75% of the length off of each branch....
So there's a lot of compacting in the future.

Trying to get it right into this same frame in a few years...but with much greater taper and ramification.

Upon cutting the pot notch for the cascading side, I noticed a lot of very dry soil an inch or so down....
So hopefully I can get this potted next summer solstice and rid it of the problems it's encountered!

Sorce
20170824_100724.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start! Could use a little dead wood.

Maybe I'll kill that branch!

Thanks all!

I'm hoping to solve a couple problems with a special planting.

That branch!

It has a peekaboo of DW. Hidden treasures in the words, hidden treasures in the trees! Like the songs I write, I want a viewer to always discover something they didn't see last time.20170823_184952.jpg

Lil more DW in there....that Lil peg is just wedging in a bit of negative space, so I can get in and work that DW there.20170823_185004.jpg

Not only is that branch too long! It lacks taper and had way too many secondaries....
20170823_185020.jpg

Fully wiring it was more challenging and safer for the tree.
I only crossed 2 wires and I don't think any were on IT!

Learning!

You member I was talking in the Over watering thread about finding ways to utilize "problems" to our advantage?

Well, I think this may have had borers, problem.
I dug and stuck em when I first got this. (Lot more DW on that side!)

How happy was I to have this perfect sized, perfectly located hole to anchor my wire in?
20170823_185149.jpg

Ponder notes.

That first big branch comes off low.
The rest come off at about the same spot.
I'm trying to read it, by wedging that spacer, and looking for live routes, but it's going to take a couple years before I know if anything on the top left side is going to have to go.
It's congested in that area as it is.

I didn't want to remove one "trunk" and leave 4.
Taking it down to 3 would compromise health and possible future direction.
So with no potential problems that can't be fixed....

I decided to whip everything up into a seemingly cohesive tree.

Truth is the entire top front left side may go.
That corkscrewed main front trunk has about 4 or five years AT LEAST before it stops looking goofy....

It's about 60% contrived up there...
I don't like contrived much.

I'm looking to keep the focus and fullness of the cascading part.

Where the top is in a state of..."if"...
If this grows out, if this branch doesn't die, if I can get this to do this, if I cut back to here, if this part gets to thick, if I change the angle can I, if it stops looking so goofy and contrived....

The bottom branch is in a state of "when"...
Healthy.

NYC amounts of traffic, and I'm playing whistle pig!

Unlike whistle pigs, who usually suck at their job spare one downtown who is loud, and dances around with excellent movements to direct traffic....

I can CONTROL what that branch does and get it into a more pleasing natural state faster than the top, and I won't have to wait for any ifs!

So with proper tuning of my FVG'S to what is actually happening with this tree...
I decided to practice wiring.
But for all intents and purposes, this one pretty much fits into the....

"There is no canopy here" category.

Kinda purty though!

And way more pleasing to view now!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your wiring looking good tho bud!

I wire with a Chip on my Shoulder too!
Adair will have you convinced that understanding copper doesn't help with wiring.
You likely know it does!
I think about it all the time!
Thought about you while wiring this one....
Cuz of the Ice. You know.

Been walking out rolls of tube.
Been bending the shit to fit around contraptionizations left by other trades.
Been unwinding pigtails on sensors.
Been curling stat wire all pretty in that little ass box with a pair of big ass linesmans.
Been curling live three phase!
Been doing the shit with frozen hands.

And that ain't annealed!

Fucking heat....apply silver....
Don't touch!

Imagine my amazement at annealed freaking copper!

You wanna get better at wiring?
Run some insulated 3/4 refrigeration line from a rooftop unit on the side of a pigeon shit filled gangway down the side of a hundred years old building with a hundred years of shit mounted to it jam it through a 1 inch hole through a foot thick brick wall into between the joists in the basement to a cooler on the other side of the room where the line has to go perpendicular to the joists......

Wiring a tree becomes a fucking joke!
Know what I mean!?

Still takes particular practice though!
At the right time.....
On a healthy tree....
Which this wasn't really!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wire with a Chip on my Shoulder too!
Adair will have you convinced that understanding copper doesn't help with wiring.
You likely know it does!
I think about it all the time!
Thought about you while wiring this one....
Cuz of the Ice. You know.

Been walking out rolls of tube.
Been bending the shit to fit around contraptionizations left by other trades.
Been unwinding pigtails on sensors.
Been curling stat wire all pretty in that little ass box with a pair of big ass linesmans.
Been curling live three phase!
Been doing the shit with frozen hands.

And that ain't annealed!

Fucking heat....apply silver....
Don't touch!

Imagine my amazement at annealed freaking copper!

You wanna get better at wiring?
Run some insulated 3/4 refrigeration line from a rooftop unit on the side of a pigeon shit filled gangway down the side of a hundred years old building with a hundred years of shit mounted to it jam it through a 1 inch hole through a foot thick brick wall into between the joists in the basement to a cooler on the other side of the room where the line has to go perpendicular to the joists......

Wiring a tree becomes a fucking joke!
Know what I mean!?

Still takes particular practice though!
At the right time.....
On a healthy tree....
Which this wasn't really!

Sorce
Hahaha! Yep...
I remember the first job I had in the field was with a company that did a lot of new construction install work.
We were running 50 foot line sets of 1-1/8" soft pipe through 4 floors....it's like wrangling an anaconda!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorce, if it were mine, I'd keep every branch and every root. It may not be up to "proper bonsai standards, but I'd put it in a pot just the way it is and enjoy it. It has too much character and flow to get rid of anything. Keep it healthy and trimmed for a couple of years and then decide if you really want to cut it back.

Top Bottom