Lavender Star dropping leaves

Dane Kofoed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This starter Lavender Star tree was purchased from a bonsai nursery in late October in Toronto Canada.
Brought it home, watered moderately (weekly or slightly more), misted a little in between, placed near a window with NO direct sunlight. The leaves slowly dried up entirely. It has been placed under grow lights once wilting was noticed ..
Is it dehydrated, diseased, overwatered, under lit?
Will it bud again this spring? Or will it bud under lights indoors ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 28

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might give people a better shot at helping you if we knew your location. I have one of these trees in prebonsai stage as well. I keep it outside all day. They need sun.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a few of them. I have to bring them in for the winter, and they lose some leaves while getting adjusted, but bud back quickly. They are pretty tough plants. Mine get southern exposure natural light as well as additional lighting. They do fine inside, but really flourish, once warm enough to get them outside. @milehigh_7 should be able to give you the best advice.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
First and always keep the leaf litter cleaned up. Dead leaves are a lovely place for fungus. Second, your leaf drop is likely due to lack of light. If you can gently scratch and have green under the bark it may come back. You need MUCH brighter indoor lighting and/or natural light. Mine get nearly full sun in Las Vegas so yea they can take it. They are South African natives and need to be treated like natal plums.

Don't overwater or allow to dry while in this condition. I would tent it and get it the brightest light you can.

Once you get some leaves, these like quite acidic so 5.5 or so would be good. Well-draining soil is important, no wet feet. Also, if you ever allow to totally dry, you will lose branches maybe not the whole plant but you will drop branches.

Allow to grow out and be vicious with cutbacks it takes forever to get trunk and branches quickly outsize the trunk.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
One more thing, apparently, in their native range, they can be semi-evergreen to deciduous when temps drop below freezing. These are hardy into the upper 20's

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Dane Kofoed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a few of them. I have to bring them in for the winter, and they lose some leaves while getting adjusted, but bud back quickly. They are pretty tough plants. Mine get southern exposure natural light as well as additional lighting. They do fine inside, but really flourish, once warm enough to get them outside. @milehigh_7 should be able to give you the best advice.
Thanks.. it has started budding under lights!

Dane Kofoed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First and always keep the leaf litter cleaned up. Dead leaves are a lovely place for fungus. Second, your leaf drop is likely due to lack of light. If you can gently scratch and have green under the bark it may come back. You need MUCH brighter indoor lighting and/or natural light. Mine get nearly full sun in Las Vegas so yea they can take it. They are South African natives and need to be treated like natal plums.

Don't overwater or allow to dry while in this condition. I would tent it and get it the brightest light you can.

Once you get some leaves, these like quite acidic so 5.5 or so would be good. Well-draining soil is important, no wet feet. Also, if you ever allow to totally dry, you will lose branches maybe not the whole plant but you will drop branches.

Allow to grow out and be vicious with cutbacks it takes forever to get trunk and branches quickly outsize the trunk.
It's under a decent light and seems to be budding a little now .. thanks !

Top Bottom