larvae on Azalea ID help

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have never seen this larvae before, but had a bunch of them on my Kurume Azalea. Can anyone here ID this? I've looked to no avail thus far. Non segmented, brown head, white body, wrap and cocoon in leaves. Very small 1/16" to 1/8". The second one looks like it was further along.
P1020700.jpgP1020701.jpgP1020702.jpgP1020695.jpgP1020697.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It could be, though I don't see any legs at all on these. I picked off every single one and squished them, also did a soap spray, and a systemic. Soap spray may not be very effective as they are enclosed in the leaves. But the systemic seemed to be working as I'd applied it a couple weeks ago (before I saw these) and a lot of them were dead when I started to see them. I will be vigilant. They only seem to be on the Kurume, not the Kozan.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It could be, though I don't see any legs at all on these. I picked off every single one and squished them, also did a soap spray, and a systemic. Soap spray may not be very effective as they are enclosed in the leaves. But the systemic seemed to be working as I'd applied it a couple weeks ago (before I saw these) and a lot of them were dead when I started to see them. I will be vigilant. They only seem to be on the Kurume, not the Kozan.

Systemic...what is that Judy...interested in an option to add here.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would simply call those Malathion food and treat accordingly - @Mellow Mullet may have an ID but I do not recall conversation with him involving larvae. Isolate, treat, observe - the routine I dislike but must sometimes follow.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use granulated Bayer Tree and Shrub protect and feed. It's a systemic insecticide, and also a fungicide. It's not bee friendly, but I have so many bee plantings and flowering trees in my landscape that I have never seen them where I keep the bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Squishing them...?... I think tweezers plucking them off into napkins and wrapping then burning. All I can envision is...lots of big guts. They look larger than aphids. Which I can just barely get the job done. Squishing.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom