Large shishigashira value?

That looks like it has extreme potential as bonsai, but you're looking at having to do a major overhaul. A tree like that at a landscape nursery around here ...of that variety, is probably north of $400.

those go for 400-600 by me if not more. I'm not sold on the allure of shishigashira and would rather have a standard JM grown for bonsai purposes for that amount of money.

Not sure if this one is grafted or not but i'd factor that in. That will require a fair amount of time and work requiring chops and branch building.

Where I live, a boxed Japanese maple like that is going to run $450 or even more. Some nurseries around here are very proud of their Japanese maples, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone was asking $600-$800.

If you hit up a nursery in the mountains you might find it cheaper...

How much do you think this shishigashira is worth? What would you pay for it? Trying to decide if I should buy it:
The value is based on your perception of the base and trunk formation with this type of project! Essentially What portion of the trunk do you wish to keep and how much work do you envision improving the nebari?
Shishigara are easy to thread graft for branch formation and easily reduce in leaf size so typically one can create very nice small to medium size with believe le foliage.
Personally I think there are a few too many straight thick section in the branch formation for my taste! Thus I would be looking at too much reconstruction.

This looks very similar to iseli products at a garden center. I would honestly guess they would try to ask 800+

Here is a small sample of products from a nursery that sells boxed maples
1727982579950.png

I have seen similar prices for large boxed maples on Vancouver island. Landscape pricing for larger, more mature trees! is fairly robust for those working on creating special garden settings. Taking the time to evaluate the individual tree is important, especially if the intent is to create Bonsai of much smaller proportions.
I have not visited Iselli but have obtained material from them that was imported as smaller plants. Have been very happy with those I selected concerning health and potential. Good experience with their material.

I'm with @River's Edge - the branches are too large in diameter relative to the trunk. The whole tree needs to be reworked, more effort than I would want to take on. It would be maybe 10 years before this one could be show quality. I would likely give it a pass unless really cheap. I'm old enough long term projects are not as exciting as they used to be.

Thanks for the opinions.

It is around $800. I could probably recoup some of that in 2-3 years with airlayers, but that just pushes the overall development even further back.

I don't mind a long term project, but I am going to sleep on it a bit more for that price tag.

Prices are all subjective...you are the only one that can determine if something is a value to you.

If the price was acceptable to me....

landscape/propagation - sure, if you like it and you are willing to pay what they are asking. Shi Shi airlayer very well and you could potentially create multiple trees from this parent plant.

Bonsai material - Nope... branches are much too large to be able to easily transition this to bonsai...long term project at best...for me long term projects have to be extremely cheap to be worth my time and available space (that's the subjectivity factor I mentioned above)

Shishi gashira is ridiculously expensive. A tree like that would do easily a few hundred bucks. But what you have there is not so great for bonsai.

IMO the only thing worth keeping would be the branch on the right for taper and movement, but the chop would be massive and take a long time to heal.

Again, IMO, but I think there is better material out there, for bonsai purposes, for $800.

Back
Top Bottom