Large old hawthorn - how do I get it out of the ground?

jersey steve

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi experts!
Ive just pulled out an old box hedge that was in terrible condition. Buried in it is a large hawthorn. It has a main trunk about 8 inches diameter and about 4 ft long leading to a dead stump. Halfway down is a small branch with life and growth. I want to dig it out and bonsai it. the dead wood looks amazing. But I cant find any feathery roots below the trunk, just 3 massive tap roots....

how do I get this out and keep it alive? Do I just saw it off and smother it in rooting compound and hope for the best ?

Last edited:
Now that the boxwood is removed, and the hawthorn can get sunlight again, I would give it a year or 2 to grow healthy (assuming it's not at the moment based on the description, photos would help assess the situation). You can put some top dressing fertilizer on it in that time, and supplement rain with watering as appropriate for your soil and climate. I would fertilize and water close to the trunk in order to try to encourage feeder root growth there.

Investigate the roots again in spring 2026 after a full year of growth in the sun and watering. If you've got feeders near the trunk and it looks healthy, maybe dig it up then. If the roots still look weak, you could sever one of those 3 roots a few inches from the trunk, and let that grow new roots that year, then do the same the next 2 years with the other 2 roots, continuing your fertilizing and watering regimen during this process. On the final root, you'll removed the entire tree, digging a circle several inches larger than where your cuts were the previous years. It is very helpful to dig a trench a few inches wide outside the severed roots, so the severed root tip is exposed, and fill it in with sphagnum moss, or even the dirt you just removed from the trench once its been broken up and is no longer compact.

This all assumes that you're talking about a tree that is at your house, so you have access to watering it regularly. If you can't, then severing the roots one year at a time is probably not a good idea because the shallow, severed root is likely to just dry out in summer.

Post some photo’s of the tree so everyone can see the tree in question. Cutting the roots of a tree weakens the tree. If the tree is already weak it could die much easier after collection. That’s why @TCEvan gave the advice to get it growing vigorous and healthy in the ground before collection. But without photo’s nobody can see what you’re talking about and give better advice.

Here are the pics. Trust me, there were lots of bushy green leaves before the cold snap caused them to drop. Is is saveable? Its out the ground now and has a few fluffy roots hear the base of the trunk but thats it . The spur off to the left had growth on that too so both limbs "have life" Do I put in in some nice decent compost with rooting powder and "keep it warm" ?

Pretty gnarly looking! I wish the best. Rooting hormone doesn’t need to be added to roots because the hormone already exists in the cells. It knows to root because it is a root.

Bottom heat may be a good idea. And protecting from the wind and freeze. Getting in an adequate grow box with a good grow medium. These are things to look into. I really can’t give the best advice for fall collecting in your area (assume New Jersey) or with the specie. I’ve done some fall collecting but my winters are really mild. With some protection they are usually fine.

Back
Top Bottom