Kusamono with Iris Cristata and driftwood

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello. Just wanted to share a few pics of my Iris Cristata Kusamono. I am becoming increasingly more and more interested in these little grass plantings. Thank you for looking! :)

PICA.jpg

PICB.jpg

PICC.jpg

PICE.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mach5 this is wonderful! Are these small plantings hard to get started and care for? Are these a special type of dwarfed iris? I am assuming that the planting is pretty small. I would love to try something like this, but have a lot to water as is, just wondering if they're easy...
Thanks for posting it!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Judy! Yes is quite easy to grow and propagate this plant. This planting is small at about 6" across and roughly the same in height. It is very hardy and tolerates very cold weather without any issues. Give it sun to part shade and keep soil moist and watch it grow and spread like a weed!

I say go for it! What's one more plant LOL! Just know that flowers are very short lived but worth it IMO :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok and here it is again with almost all flowers out. This pic was taken this morning only a few hours apart from the first set of pics. Love these tiny Irises :)

iris.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for posting these again in full bloom. And nice photos too btw.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
a really great planting.... I love these so much.... I have a hard time creating them myself... but every time I see something as fabulous as this it makes me want to have another go at it :) :)

thanks!!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Ang3lfir3! Very much appreciate the comment :) This is my first endeavor into the world of Kusamono. I find them fascinating as well. I hope to keep doing more and get better at it as I go :rolleyes:

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Wonderful little planting and yes the driftwood makes it special! I have some dwarf iris (purple ones-super hardy) my mother gave me and she claims her family found them growing on the prairie when they first came from the east in covered wagons. I just divided them this spring and gave several gallons away (and threw some in the field). I have never made a established planting of them but often in the spring I snitch a few from the rock garden and pot them up to enjoy, but as you say the flowers are brief.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Crust that's a wonderful story you got! When you have a chance please send me some them prairie irises my way! :D One little fact I liked when I got the Cristatas is that they are indigenous to the Eastern seaboard spreading out to the Midwest.

Also just noticed this morning that each bloom stack is double loaded which have never done this in previous years. That means that more blooms are coming up!

Last edited:

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I never notice them being double loaded--perhaps its your good culture.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes me neither (at least with miniature ones) but then again I am no expert. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It really looks amazing. I just loved these beautiful flowers and the driftwood and wish to see this splendid work more on the forum.

Thank you Mable01! I really appreciate your kind words :)

Top Bottom