"kinzu" Hong Kong kumquat (Fortunella hindsii) source!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
If you are like me, you spend a lot of time searching for species on your bucket list. I have always loved the diminutive Kinzu. They are awesome little trees with fruit just larger than a pea. Anyway. one of the good guys in bonsai, Jason Schley has a great sale going on from his personal Facebook page. Search him up and check it out! Like I said he's truly one of the best folks around and this is a rare chance to get this great little tree that is very hard to find. It's a public post so anyone can see it.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I am always looking for bonsai material that is off the normal beaten path, around 1995 one of the members in a bonsai study group that I belong to did a computer search for Fortunella as we searched all over south Florida to no avail, Alex found a source in southern California and had two dozen mail ordered. I put my 3 trees in 7 gallon squat nursery pots planted in ProMix 50% Canadian peat and 50% perlite and let them grow wild to develop fat trunks. Around 2005 I transplanted them to 15 gallon squats, I cut each tree back leaving only one or two branches, each tree had trunk bases of 1" to 1.25" and they exploded with new growth, they all produced a lot of fruit- they tasted horrible! Then the State of Florida started their Citrus Canker Eradication Program. They jumped my fence while I was at work, chainsawed my 45 year old Honeybell with a 10" trunk that produced an an believable amount of juicy oranges each January and stole all three Kumquats. After 18 months Florida sent me a check for $100 for the Honeybell, not a penny for the 3 kumquats, they claimed that since they were containerized they didn't count for reimbursement. It makes me think that we live in the United States of Amerika,
I dont think they ever read the Constitution of the United States!
Last fall I traded for 2 seedlings to start the process over again.
I sell Jason Schley a lot of the unusaul tropicals that I root under mist, Neea buxifolia, Bucida spinosa, Extra dwarf Bucida, Mouse Tail Plant, Melaleuca alternifolia, Desmodium unifolia, Brazilian Rain Tree, Styrocanthes hamata, Dividivi, Jamican Ebony .........I also wholesale him my handmade stoneware bonsai pots. My girlfriend and I are looking to buy rural property about 20 miles north of his nursery. He is a very fair businessman.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am always looking for bonsai material that is off the normal beaten path, around 1995 one of the members in a bonsai study group that I belong to did a computer search for Fortunella as we searched all over south Florida to no avail, Alex found a source in southern California and had two dozen mail ordered. I put my 3 trees in 7 gallon squat nursery pots planted in ProMix 50% Canadian peat and 50% perlite and let them grow wild to develop fat trunks. Around 2005 I transplanted them to 15 gallon squats, I cut each tree back leaving only one or two branches, each tree had trunk bases of 1" to 1.25" and they exploded with new growth, they all produced a lot of fruit- they tasted horrible! Then the State of Florida started their Citrus Canker Eradication Program. They jumped my fence while I was at work, chainsawed my 45 year old Honeybell with a 10" trunk that produced an an believable amount of juicy oranges each January and stole all three Kumquats. After 18 months Florida sent me a check for $100 for the Honeybell, not a penny for the 3 kumquats, they claimed that since they were containerized they didn't count for reimbursement. It makes me think that we live in the United States of Amerika,
I dont think they ever read the Constitution of the United States!
Last fall I traded for 2 seedlings to start the process over again.
I sell Jason Schley a lot of the unusaul tropicals that I root under mist, Neea buxifolia, Bucida spinosa, Extra dwarf Bucida, Mouse Tail Plant, Melaleuca alternifolia, Desmodium unifolia, Brazilian Rain Tree, Styrocanthes hamata, Dividivi, Jamican Ebony .........I also wholesale him my handmade stoneware bonsai pots. My girlfriend and I are looking to buy rural property about 20 miles north of his nursery. He is a very fair businessman.

It's baffling to me that constitutional protections go out the window when it comes to fighting disease. Under the takings clause of the Fifth Amendment, you're entitled to the fair market value of the seized property, whether it's planted in the ground or not. Also, a hundred dollars doesn't sound like nearly enough to buy a mature orange tree. What is this world coming to?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I got a nice one from him 2-3 years ago and it's finally fruiting this year.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you are like me, you spend a lot of time searching for species on your bucket list. I have always loved the diminutive Kinzu. They are awesome little trees with fruit just larger than a pea. Anyway. one of the good guys in bonsai, Jason Schley has a great sale going on from his personal Facebook page. Search him up and check it out! Like I said he's truly one of the best folks around and this is a rare chance to get this great little tree that is very hard to find. It's a public post so anyone can see it.
We are in his area this week. Maybe we'll stop by the nursery and see what he has.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Be careful! He's got a lot!
I know, we've been going there for a few years when we're down here. The first year I took a tree as my husband's "personal item" on the plane. Last year I just had him ship what I bought.

Top Bottom