Keep remove or shorten Jin

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right. It's conflicted. Pyramidal top suggests youth. Jin suggests age. Rounded apex would fit better with the jin and also reduce the height a bit--the tree is also too tall.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would keep it because otherwise you will have an awkward taper. It is a little large and doesn't work with the design, currently, but if the top of the tree is developed a little bit more it would work. It all depends on your final design for the tree and whether you are keeping it short or planning on growing it out more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right. It's conflicted. Pyramidal top suggests youth. Jin suggests age. Rounded apex would fit better with the jin and also reduce the height a bit--the tree is also too tall.
I agree although to make it shorter I think it would need to go back to the first branch and re grown which I am also considering.
I would keep it because otherwise you will have an awkward taper. It is a little large and doesn't work with the design, currently, but if the top of the tree is developed a little bit more it would work. It all depends on your final design for the tree and whether you are keeping it short or planning on growing it out more.
Planning on keeping this one about the height it is or shorter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see the problem being the jin leads your eye the the main first branch and stops. It needs to lead the eye back to the trunk.

Also it doesn't seem to have been pruned properly. The shoots have run too long. They should be trimmed once they reach about an inch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The shoots have run too long. They should be trimmed once they reach about an inch
Assuming that the design has been layed and I was working on refinement I would agree but I am letting this run longer because I want to grow roots to get it into a smaller container and I am still building branches and deciding on a design.

And why is it in such a large container?
Good question, I collected this 4 years ago and all the roots were far away from the trunk, at first it was in a huge wooden box, this container allowed me to cut the long root in half next repotting will see a much smaller pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this when I first started into bonsai, if I could go back I would have started it and re grown from a low branch. Here is a when collected pic.larch spring.PNG

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You've brought this tree along nicely. The Jin kind of looks like a big Ding Dong ready for an unsuspecting female tree to have its way with (sorry). The rest of the tree is looking good. I think I would shorten it a bit or even create some interest with a Uro. Just my thoughts.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye...

The branch looks in danger of being poked by the jin.

Uncomfortable.

The city is nice but the old branch should be flush.

Or shorten the jin.

If that branch is near too big....??
Cut it .

Sorce

Reaction score
I would shorten the jin. Remove the lowest branch and go with the virtual IFF you will be able to put it in a small drum pot. If the pot must stay a bit bigger leave the lower branch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think with your help I have come up with an option that I am happy with. I'm planning on leaving the lowest branch and letting it run out as far as possible in the next 2 years or so which should help build girth and taper in the lower part of the tree. Meanwhile I will keep the top in check and eventually plan to remove that lowest branch as people have suggested but will have a tree with a little more size and taper. Anyone think of any downsides of this plan?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Assuming that the design has been layed and I was working on refinement I would agree but I am letting this run longer because I want to grow roots to get it into a smaller container and I am still building branches and deciding on a design.
24 years of growing larch has taught me otherwise. Roots support foliage. More foliage comes from trimming.

The natural growth habits of larch, when let run, grow long, unramified, thin branches.

Larch are apically and terminally dominant and suppress inner bud extension. Once terminal buds are formed growth stops. Trimming allows for inner bud extension and multiple flushes of growth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think with your help I have come up with an option that I am happy with. I'm planning on leaving the lowest branch and letting it run out as far as possible in the next 2 years or so which should help build girth and taper in the lower part of the tree. Meanwhile I will keep the top in check and eventually plan to remove that lowest branch as people have suggested but will have a tree with a little more size and taper. Anyone think of any downsides of this plan?
I've never had that work very well with larch. They don't respond well to that. Foliage thickens them.

Top Bottom