Keep or Toss?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not a criticism… But I am wondering if the most recent chop should have been more of a flat cut. Typically on my Elms I do a flat cut until I’m able to choose a leader and then proceed with the 45. I don’t think I’ve ever had an elm bud exactly where I wanted it to. Just curious if a flat cut would have helped your cause as far as being able to pick an appropriate leader?
I really like where it’s heading!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is something I didn't think about. Getting a bud exactly where I want might not happen but I was wondering where to root for. I am pretty happy as this is my first tree collected and done from the start. Thanks for the input.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little project. I just notice two things which get me thinking..

- The main cut as not healed over nearly to what it should have. I know this is a potential shitstorm, but.. Habe you considered
- Cleaning away the wood at the bottom to where you have the living back, so it can grow over
- Scarring the edges of the bark all around the cut area
- using cutpaste (This I find very usefull with cuts. It reduces the die-back of cambium and -in my experience- enhances the spread of new bark over cut areas, especially is the edges of the bark are tickled every once in a while

- You do not have a strong push of buds after the newest cut. I would say this is due to competition of the very strong growth on the low branch. Next time, trim the existing branches way back too, when you do a chop. Now the plant had an excuse to not push many buds of the main trunk.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am going to rework the first cut and get some paste on it.
I thought about trimming that first branch and asked, some thought since I repotted at the same time it might bit a bit too much all at once.
I think the buds will come as they are picking up the pace now.
Thanks for all the input.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok here is what you get with 5 weeks worth of growth.
20200712_100150.jpg
Here is side one which I think might be the front.
20200712_100208.jpg
Side two
20200712_100220.jpg
Side three
20200712_100238.jpg
Side 4
20200712_100251.jpg
And here on the new chop are my buds that I have to chose from. Of course nothing on the top of the chop. The presumed front is to the right of this photo. Which bud would you use for the new leader and why?
20200712_100451.jpg

Also, is it time to trim back that lower branch and to try to get it pulled down and some movement in it?
Thanks for your input.
Jamie

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm kinda running behind on this project but I think I'm ready for another chop to keep some movement going. I'm thinking of cutting where the red line is marked. Anyone got any input? Also after several tries I can't get the first chop to heal over. Time to give up or keep trying.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20231001_160354 EDITED.jpg
    20231001_160354 EDITED.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 59

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not experienced like many here, but the branch growing above the wound should help to close that first large cut. The flat cut should be a smart move this time, can choose your new leader and then do the 45° cut later.

Enjoying this thread, though it made me wish I could draw.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First would not healing. Not sure if I should wound it again or give up.
I'm going to do a flat cut this time but was seeking some input on the location.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just chopped this late last week. Looking forward to seeing some sprouts. Thanks for the input.
Jamie

Attachments

• 20240317_161733.jpg
    20240317_161733.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom