Kapok Seed Germination?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Any one have any luck with germinating Kapok seeds? Ive tried with 3 different suppliers and I cannot get any to seed. I just bought 40 more to experiment with. Any suggestions for this time around?
I've soaked them for 48 hours and placed on top of soil and then light sprinkle of soil on top. I tried placing them on bonsai soil and covering lightly with small fines. I've tried just placing them on soil and not covering them with anything. I've tried in paper towels and perlite.. I've tried a lot of things. I saw a video where Nigel Saunders threw them on bonsai soil and bang, 10 days later, up they went. ALL OF EM! This makes me want me to rip my hair out. Ive had the same problems with germinating Peppercorn seeds. Piper Nigrum. ugh.......

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What is your soil temperature like? Nigel's plant room is regularly up in the 80F range, even in January. I would imagine that kapok seeds like the heat.

So... If you aren't already, put them on a heating mat?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

is this the Silk Cotton tree of the Mayans/ Americas?
It doesn't have a lot of branches.
Not a great subject for Bonsai.

Like the Flamboyant or Pride of Barbados, not really good.

Can you get a Texas Ebony or West Indian Cherry [ edible cherry - Malpighia e.]
Also Fukien tea, Sageretia t. , Gmelina, Pinus ellotii, Podocarpus types,
Will leaf ficus, Ficus b [ the simple one, non varigated ], Texas persimmon,
These are sub tropical. should do well by you.
Good Day
Anthony

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
What is your soil temperature like? Nigel's plant room is regularly up in the 80F range, even in January. I would imagine that kapok seeds like the heat.

So... If you aren't already, put them on a heating mat?

Its always 80 - 90 degrees here. Almost everyday but I can try bottom heat. Thanks!

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Paul,

is this the Silk Cotton tree of the Mayans/ Americas?
It doesn't have a lot of branches.
Not a great subject for Bonsai.

Like the Flamboyant or Pride of Barbados, not really good.

Can you get a Texas Ebony or West Indian Cherry [ edible cherry - Malpighia e.]
Also Fukien tea, Sageretia t. , Gmelina, Pinus ellotii, Podocarpus types,
Will leaf ficus, Ficus b [ the simple one, non varigated ], Texas persimmon,
These are sub tropical. should do well by you.
Good Day
Anthony

Im not sure I want it for Bonsai but i love growing trees. And its really a challenge to me now. LOL.

Random User

Reaction score
For finicky peppers, even a moderate amount of heat in the soil (from a germinating heat-pad and a dome) increases both the speed and the success rate... or so I've found anyway... I'd guess that some tree species are the same.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
For finicky peppers, even a moderate amount of heat in the soil (from a germinating heat-pad and a dome) increases both the speed and the success rate... or so I've found anyway... I'd guess that some tree species are the same.

I had the peppercorns in a dome with mid summer temperatures which here are in the 90's easily everyday but maybe bottom heat is the ticket. That's something Ive never tried. I don't even own a heat pad but Ill have to invest in one. I figured I live in the tropics and thought I would never need one.

Top Bottom